Golden Princess and Hawaii

wernew2cruising

I have sailed this itinerary with Princess twice, and have had starboard balcony cabins both times. We are also in a starboard cabin for the one we have booked in March 2010.

You will have have views of the pier activities in some places, and not in others. But if your cabin does not face the pier, then it will face the harbor, so either way, there is something to look at.

My favorite port to be out on the balcony on approach is Nawiliwili (Kauai). The entrance to the harbor is narrow and the ship has to make a couple of "tight" turns, so it is interesting to be out there observng.

While traveling from island to island, the views are fairly scenic, in that other islands are visible in the distance.

Both of the other two times I went, the itinerary included Kona, which, sadly, has been dropped from the itinerary. And when sailing from Hilo to Kona, after dark, we got to see the lava flowing over the cliff ond into the sea. Sure will miss having that opportunity.

We were on this cruise last November. I don't recall one side being any better than the other. My wife is an avid amature photographer and she took pictures of everything (3100). If she couldn't get the shot she wanted from our balcony on Emerald deck she simply went topside to do it. We were on the upper decks several times either entering or leaving port and it was never so busy that you couldn't find a spot on the railing and see/photograph whatever it was you wanted to. Enjoy the cruise, it was magnificent!

We have tended to have starboard cabins and the views have been great. This time we are on the port side. Like somebody else mentioned, to enter the harbor on Kauai the ship has to make two sharp S-curves and it's fascinating to watch. Another interesting one was in Honolulu where the ship enters a narrow berth, with the bow literally hanging over the street once it's docked. It happens early, but is really worth getting out of bed for, because there are hula dancers and musicians on the pier as the ship comes in slowly.:)

This is all good to know. I chose starboard for our December cruise on the Golden based soley on the direction of the little arrows shown on the itenarary. Wasn't sure, but I thought that would work.

Archived