Mayan Ruins of Tulum (Ultramar)?????

motherchic

This 7 hour tour is offered by Carnival. Has anyone taken this tour?

I would appreciate any info on it. Positive and Negative comments both.

Was it a good tour? Informative? Crowded? Not worth the drive?

My Dh was thinking about this tour

Thank you much

Nadine

Use search to check back pages for very detailed answers to all your questions. It involves a great deal of travel time to spend limited time at the ruins. The ruins are always packed. As will be repeatedly stated, this is the one tour best booked through the ship as you're traveling two hours away from your ship.

We took this tour last year. My DH, DS, DD, 17 y/o DS friend, and my mom. The ferry was comfortable, none of us were sea sick, didn't see anyone who was. We did have to hustle r/t time constraints. When you get to the mainland you will walk a few blocks to buses. Nice and air conditioned. Lots of good info from our guide. When you get to Tulum you will walk through some shopping areas. Tulum is interesting, we are all history buffs. We think the pyramids on the beach are just beautiful. Some of my pics from there look like they are from a tourist book, they're unreal how pretty they turned out. We went in June and we absolutely baked! It was hot! If you like pyramids and history, it was a good tour. Depends on your likes and dislikes. We thought it was handled professionally and very well done considering the time restraints and distance involved.

My family did this tour in 2006 when Carnival was using the port in Calica. I believe the drive was shorter then, since it wasn't starting in Cozumel. I was 22 at the time and my sister was 18. My parents booked it and my sister and I were not happy to say the least when we first learned we would be using a day to visit ruins. However, we ended up loving the excursion. The ruins are interesting to see and are located on a beautiful hill overlooking the ocean. There was a stop on the way to buy souvenirs if you want. When you arrive to the site, the actual ruins are about a mile away, you can walk or take a little trolley that takes you out there for a small charge. Overall, it was one of my fondest memories of the cruise. Beautiful scenery and a great look back into the Mayan culture.

I didn't take this actual tour, but I have been to the ruins. I studied all of the ruins for a semester in college (it involved touring and climbing, awesome way to get 3 credits!) anyway, this was the MOST beautiful place I have EVER been. Its incredible, the view is amazing. By far my favorite place in Mexico. I would say that its worth it, no matter what. I don't think they let you climb the ruins anymore, but its still one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I say do it!

I didn't take this actual tour, but I have been to the ruins. I studied all of the ruins for a semester in college (it involved touring and climbing, awesome way to get 3 credits!) anyway, this was the MOST beautiful place I have EVER been. Its incredible, the view is amazing. By far my favorite place in Mexico. I would say that its worth it, no matter what. I don't think they let you climb the ruins anymore, but its still one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I say do it!

haha!! didn't see your post...i guess you can't climb them!:(

We took this excursion through Princess a few years ago and LOVED it. Yes, there's the ferry which can be very rough, and yes it's a 2 hr bus ride to the ruins, but it's worth it. The ruins so so picturesque, perched on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea. We left the guided tour after an hour and just wandered on our own. We shopped a little, ate a snack, and met back at the bus. It was a great day. Do not attempt this on your own however. Book through the cruiseline.

We have been to the ruins at Tulum twice....the first time as a shore excursion with a cruise.

(the second we liked it so much that we flew down for a vacation in tulum!!)

It is beautiful and amazing...a must see view! You will take the best pictures ever...even with a bad camera...it is just so pretty there.

I would say, yes, it is worth it...yes, yes, yes!!!!!

Things of note:

get a fish taco from Frosty's....they are sooooo good!!!

it is hot...and i don't mean like you think....i mean hot, humid and hot. I have been in April and in September, and it is the hottest I have ever been ever....and I am from Georgia!!! Bring LOTS of water...as much as you think you need then an extra bottle!!!

• 2 weeks later...

how hot is hot?

I am planning to take a cruise there in august (only time i can get away), and the heat doesnt bother me, but my gf doesnt like it. :o

Does it get much hotter than florida in august? :confused:

thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It is hotter than you can imagine...your girlfriend will need LOTS of water...

and, yes...it is hotter than florida!!! and more humid!

but, it is just so beautiful...and there are areas of shade that will save your life....then go down to the beach....it is so worth it!!!

Went to the Tulum ruins in December. There is a lot of walking, because the busses cannot take you to the entrance. We were there in December, and it was HOT even then! I forget the exact temperature. There are vendors selling water along the walk to the ruins. Definitely buy some water from them if you don't bring any with you. (they may have sold them on the bus too? I forget)

The ferry ride is ROUGH! I guess some people are not affected, but the ride is rough. I don't normally get motion sickness, maybe just after reading in the car for awhile. But normally I don't actually get sick. I did on this ferry ride though. The ferry operators handed out barf bags right as the ferry was pulling away from the dock, if that gives you any clues as to how bad it is!

Besides all this, the ruins were nice! The tour guide was very informative, and loved his country. The views of the ocean from the area were beautiful, and seeing all the different structures was nice also.

I wan't to thank everyone for the information that has been posted. I'm new to this board stuff and this will be our first time to this area. Could you help me with figuring how much the trip to the ruins would cost. Trying to budget for everything.:confused: Was the excursion done thru the cruise ship or on your own? If on your own can you give some tips as to where to go for the ferry and bus once we get off the ship.

We did this excursion in August 3 years ago and loved it. Yes, it was hot but take a hat, sun screen and a bottle of water and you'll be fine. About 45 minutes by ferry from the dock in Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, a 5-10 minute walk to the buses, then about an hour ride to Tulum. We stopped at a local gift shop on the way that was a bit of a "tourist trap" but it was fun. The ruins are impressive and their place on the cliff makes for some great pictures so don't go without a camera. Small iguanas are running all over the place and that just adds to the experience for the kids. We weren't able to climb any of the ruins but there are some smaller areas near the north entrance area that you can explore. If you have a chance to go for a swim at the beach area, do it! The water is incredibly aquamarine and warm. We enjoyed it so much that we are thinking about taking the same excursion this August.

The ferry ride is ROUGH! I guess some people are not affected, but the ride is rough. I don't normally get motion sickness, maybe just after reading in the car for awhile. But normally I don't actually get sick. I did on this ferry ride though. The ferry operators handed out barf bags right as the ferry was pulling away from the dock, if that gives you any clues as to how bad it is!

What do you mean by ROUGH? Is it because of the time of year that you went or are they just rough in general? Do you have any ideas as to why the ride is so rough? :confused::eek:

One more question...is there a place to change into your bathing suit or should we just wear them under our clothes?

how hot is hot?

I am planning to take a cruise there in august (only time i can get away), and the heat doesnt bother me, but my gf doesnt like it. :o

Does it get much hotter than florida in august? :confused:

thanks! :)

Hi MelBlue -- I grew up in Florida. This area of the Caribbean is hotter than Florida in August, unless you catch a day with an ocean breeze. Think Orlando in August. It is even hotter. Drink plenty of fluids.

I wan't to thank everyone for the information that has been posted. I'm new to this board stuff and this will be our first time to this area. Could you help me with figuring how much the trip to the ruins would cost. Trying to budget for everything.:confused: Was the excursion done thru the cruise ship or on your own? If on your own can you give some tips as to where to go for the ferry and bus once we get off the ship.

Because you are on a ferry, bus or taxi, and then back by bus or taxi and ferry, I'd book only through the cruise line. Too many connections and too long a time to chance it on your own. It can certainly be done, but if anything goes wrong (bus or taxi breaks down, you miss the ferry, etc.) you will miss the ship's departure.

What do you mean by ROUGH? Is it because of the time of year that you went or are they just rough in general? Do you have any ideas as to why the ride is so rough? :confused::eek:

Rough depends on the weather conditions. Sometimes it is a smooth ride, sometimes not so smooth. We've experienced both.

In January of this year, people who went on this excursion got very ill on the ferry. Mind you, there were strong winds from the northeast. We felt the rocking on the ship as we approached port. Most all water based excursions were canceled except the Tulum excursion. Go figure.

Could you help me with figuring how much the trip to the ruins would cost. Trying to budget for everything.:confused: Was the excursion done thru the cruise ship or on your own? If on your own can you give some tips as to where to go for the ferry and bus once we get off the ship.

Turtleherder - I would not suggest doing this excursion through a private company. Half the tour is spent in transportation (first the ferry, then the bus), and there are just so many chances to be late. Our tour was significantly late. I think we were due to arrive back at least 1 hour before the ship was due to leave, and we arrived back 30 minutes after the ship was supposed to be leaving. Since we booked with RCI, the ship was waiting for us!

One more question...is there a place to change into your bathing suit or should we just wear them under our clothes?

Lollylew - There was a lot of motion on the ferry ride. Not side to side, but up and down. I think the type of boat the ferry used is called a catamaran? You are on a boat going very quickly in open ocean, and I think the water may be rougher in the winter anyway?.. So this contributes to the rough ride.

The ferry itself was very nice! (The one we were on anyway) Enclosed, air-conditioned, airplane-style seats. There was a large television in the front of the boat, but it only played what looked to be an advertisement (in Spanish if I remember correctly). In the morning I snoozed most of the ride, and was only awake for the last 10 minutes or so. I felt a little queasy when I woke up, but luckily we arrived at the dock very shortly after I woke up. I was NOT sleep on the return trip to Cozumel... I sure do wish I did. I wish the tour description said that the ferry ride may cause motion sickness, so that I could have been prepared. I don't normally get motion sickness, but will at times take some over-the counter medication when I know I will be doing something that may cause motion sickness.

And as for changing into bathing suits -- I don't know what your tour is and where it says you can swim? We went to the beach after the ruins and were told that there was no place to change. Turned out there was a very large bathroom, but we ended up wearing our suits anyway. If your tour is saying you can swim at the ruins, I would suggest you wear them. On our tour the guide did not want to make any stops at the bathroom before heading into the ruins.

Some tips and answers:::

1- definitely wear your suit under your clothes if you want to swim...bring clean underwear tucked in your bag if you plan to get completely wet....it is easy to take shorts and t-shirt off and have suit underneath, but not easy at all to change there!!

2- I like to pack what I call my "mexican bathroom bag". This is due to the sporatic nature of the restrooms there...you will need a travel size roll of toilet paper (available at walmart) and a travel size case of baby butt wipes. I also pick up some paper toilet seat covers, hand sanitizer and fold a few paper towels too. The definition of bathroom varies in different parts of the world, and i have been very surprised to find a restroom in mexico that is the toilet with no ring or lid...and no tp...and nothing at the sink to properly wash hands. My bag is packed in a left-over small make up bag and fits neatly in our backpack. Don't let this warning scare you at all....but, do be prepared! BTW....I know that there is a very nice new bathroom at the entrance to the ruins...but, they allocate a very small amount of tp per person, so I like to have my own if i need it....and this is the only bathroom in the vicinity that is like that...the bathrooms at the flea market still don't have lids, etc....at least, they didn't as of september!!

3- The ferry can be rough, but this is really due to changes in current and weather. We took it one year in April and it was not rough at all. Maybe pack a phenegren if you are really worried.

4- Most importantly....book this through your cruise ship...the excursion will probably cost about $85-$100 pp, but this is completely worth it!!! Like others here have said, about 1/2 of the excursion is transport to and from the ruins. You do not want to be in a broken down taxi on the interstate, looking at your watch, knowing your ship is about to deport. If you book through your cruise line they must wait for you if your tour runs late. And, also....I don't think you would save all that much by booking it on your own.

Last: Enjoy!!! Look at our icon picture....it is one of my favorite pictures we have ever taken, and it was taken at the head of the steps at tulum with a small canon point and click camera! You will love this trip!!!

• 1 month later...
Some tips and answers:::

1- definitely wear your suit under your clothes if you want to swim...bring clean underwear tucked in your bag if you plan to get completely wet....it is easy to take shorts and t-shirt off and have suit underneath, but not easy at all to change there!!

2- I like to pack what I call my "mexican bathroom bag". This is due to the sporatic nature of the restrooms there...you will need a travel size roll of toilet paper (available at walmart) and a travel size case of baby butt wipes. I also pick up some paper toilet seat covers, hand sanitizer and fold a few paper towels too. The definition of bathroom varies in different parts of the world, and i have been very surprised to find a restroom in mexico that is the toilet with no ring or lid...and no tp...and nothing at the sink to properly wash hands. My bag is packed in a left-over small make up bag and fits neatly in our backpack. Don't let this warning scare you at all....but, do be prepared! BTW....I know that there is a very nice new bathroom at the entrance to the ruins...but, they allocate a very small amount of tp per person, so I like to have my own if i need it....and this is the only bathroom in the vicinity that is like that...the bathrooms at the flea market still don't have lids, etc....at least, they didn't as of september!!

3- The ferry can be rough, but this is really due to changes in current and weather. We took it one year in April and it was not rough at all. Maybe pack a phenegren if you are really worried.

4- Most importantly....book this through your cruise ship...the excursion will probably cost about $85-$100 pp, but this is completely worth it!!! Like others here have said, about 1/2 of the excursion is transport to and from the ruins. You do not want to be in a broken down taxi on the interstate, looking at your watch, knowing your ship is about to deport. If you book through your cruise line they must wait for you if your tour runs late. And, also....I don't think you would save all that much by booking it on your own.

Last: Enjoy!!! Look at our icon picture....it is one of my favorite pictures we have ever taken, and it was taken at the head of the steps at tulum with a small canon point and click camera! You will love this trip!!!

Great tips.

Just so happens I'll be turning 50 on the same day as my visit.

Not so happy about the turning 50 part, but I know I will be distracted by the beauty of Tulum.

These are all great tips. We are going to Cozumel in July( I am sure we will be metling) I have read about the beach, the views, the heat, but nothing about meals. I will be going with three teenagers and my 9 year old daughter. Are there any places that we can get food or should we bring our own?

These are all great tips. We are going to Cozumel in July( I am sure we will be metling) I have read about the beach, the views, the heat, but nothing about meals. I will be going with three teenagers and my 9 year old daughter. Are there any places that we can get food or should we bring our own?

When I did the Carnival Tulum tour back in 2005, the tour included a sack lunch of a banana, some muffins, and some crackers. We also stopped at a tourist-trap shop, and there might be some food there. There is also a Subway at the entry to the ruins, but I wouldn't waste what little time you have eating at Subway. I would consider finding something you can pack to take along with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived