Hotels in B.A.

Paul123

We expect to sail out of B.A. next February and plan to spend a few days there pre-cruise. Any recomendations for hotels and indication of price?

We expect to sail out of B.A. next February and plan to spend a few days there pre-cruise. Any recomendations for hotels and indication of price?

The Marriott was very nice and clean. I believe in 2007, the price was in the mid $300's. Close to shopping and places of interest.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Claridge. It's a half-block off Florida Ave, the pedestrian thoroughfare, about 1-1/2 blocks from plaza San Martin, and within walking distance to the port area where many of the restaurants, etc. are located, the historic district, and the Recoleta district where the cemetery is located.

They bill themselves as 5 star, but I would rate it a high 4 star, with the only fault being that the rooms are on the small side. The restaurant in the hotel was excellent, and they have one of the few outdoor pools in the whole city, a great place to relax after all the walking we did.

The rates were acceptable at well under $200 per day (without going back and looking, I think it was about $160) and the rate we got included private car transportation from the airport and to the seaport.

We booked directly with the hotel through their website, here.

We where in B.A 3 yrs ago post cruise. We stayed at the Alvear Palace hotel.It is in the Recolita district.It was one of the most spectacler and elagant hotels we have stayed in in the world.The breakfast and lunch in there garden room is like the old Plaza Hotel was back in the 40 and 50's.If you have ever been to NYC I would say it was like being on the upper eastside Madison ave. kind of place.Quite tree lined streets elegant apt. buildings. Check it out before you decide.

We where in B.A 3 yrs ago post cruise. We stayed at the Alvear Palace hotel.It is in the Recolita district.It was one of the most spectacler and elagant hotels we have stayed in in the world.The breakfast and lunch in there garden room is like the old Plaza Hotel was back in the 40 and 50's.If you have ever been to NYC I would say it was like being on the upper eastside Madison ave. kind of place.Quite tree lined streets elegant apt. buildings. Check it out before you decide.

I agree. Spectacular hotel. Had breakfast there. Designer stores nearby.

I would like to thank you all for the replies you have each supplied to us. I will certainly check out this information. We have just booked the Insignia,22nd February 2010, 40 Days Around S. America Cruise at what we consider really competitive prices, without airfare. We won't fly this length of journey in coach and anyway only require one way flight as taking this same ship back to Europe immediately after the 40 day cruise.

Have also stayed at the Alvear Palace and it is certainly the Grand Dame of B.A. but also very pricey. We will be returning to Buenos Aires in Nov. and this time we are going to try the Sofitel. Have read lots of good reviews on tripadvisor about the hotel. It is also supposed to be in a quiet area close to Recoletta. You might want to give it consideration as well.

Have also stayed at the Alvear Palace and it is certainly the Grand Dame of B.A. but also very pricey. We will be returning to Buenos Aires in Nov. and this time we are going to try the Sofitel. Have read lots of good reviews on tripadvisor about the hotel. It is also supposed to be in a quiet area close to Recoletta. You might want to give it consideration as well.

Thank you Globe. I too was aware of the Sofitel and will indeed also check it out on Trip Advisor.

We were just in BA precruise in December 2008 (same cruise as hondorner - Hi Don and Betsy!) and we were also very pleased with our hotel in the Recoleta neighborhood - the Melia Recoleta Plaza Boutique Hotel. The rooms were comfortable and the included breakfast was great. They arranged our tango show and city tour which were both excellent. Great location also near the famous cemetery and art museum as well as shopping (not to mention "my" free Citibank ATM just down the street!) Check it out and see what you think. http://www.solmelia.com/solNew/hoteles/jsp/C_Hotel_Description.jsp?codigoHotel=5951

I also refer you to kimiata's just posted review of our Insignia voyage here on cruisecritics ship review page. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=51759

Great trip! We liked it so much we are going back in December for the "next leg" from BA to Rio over the holidays again.

Enjoy your trip! Sounds fabulous!

We were just in BA precruise in December 2008 (same cruise as hondorner - Hi Don and Betsy!) and we were also very pleased with our hotel in the Recoleta neighborhood - the Melia Recoleta Plaza Boutique Hotel. The rooms were comfortable and the included breakfast was great. They arranged our tango show and city tour which were both excellent. Great location also near the famous cemetery and art museum as well as shopping (not to mention "my" free Citibank ATM just down the street!) Check it out and see what you think. http://www.solmelia.com/solNew/hoteles/jsp/C_Hotel_Description.jsp?codigoHotel=5951

I also refer you to kimiata's just posted review of our Insignia voyage here on cruisecritics ship review page. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=51759

Great trip! We liked it so much we are going back in December for the "next leg" from BA to Rio over the holidays again.

Enjoy your trip! Sounds fabulous!

Thanks Patty...so pleased you had a great trip. I will indeed check out all the information you have provided which is much appreciated. Have now booked our 40-Day Circle of South American Cruise scheduled for February next. Awersome price.

Paul

Claridge Hotel met all our needs in BA. Rooms are nice if small and much less expensive than any other well-located hotel. We didn't take the first room offered, then they offered a better one. I had fallen in the street (be very careful--sidewalks are a mess) and they brought me ice every hour and were very kind and solicitous. I also used their town car to go to a milonga and the driver waited for me for an hour for a very reasonable fee.

In 2007 we stayed at a Sheraton in Buenos Aires. We had a lovely, newly refurbished room and the hotel staff could not do enough for us. The hotel was well located -- many shopping malls and restaurants within a one block radius. As I recall the price was excellent, well under $200. For us it was a great place to hang our hats after a delightful 27 days at sea and two nights at Iguazu Falls. The hotel was not too far from the domestic airport but it was a significant ride to the international airport, though taxi fares were very reasonable in Buenos Aires at that time.

Where ever you choose to stay have a wonderful time -- South America has a lot to offer.

We've stayed at the Four Seasons & at the Hilton. The Hilton in Puerto Maldero is one of the nicest Hiltons anywhere - gorgeous lobby & recently updated rooms. Four Seasons had doubled in price since our last visit 3 years ago...$$$ does go far however.

Thanks for all the advice received from you on this thread. I have read many other contributions from previous threads on CC which were also enlightening. Enormous information on many aspects of BA life, including hotels, has now been sourced by me from Trip Advisor.

This is really an incredible encyclopedia of knowledge with hundreds of hotel reviews, ratings of hotels in categories or by district and just as important, their current pricing. In addition to all this there are general information forums.

Unfortunately most, or certainly a significant many, hotels there are not willing to commit themselves to a price beyond January of 2010 due to the high inflationary pressures in their local economy e.g. electricity prices expecting to double between last year and this year. I can not therefore get a complete handle on where to lay my head next February. I do know that through some of the on-line booking agents quite huge discounts can be obtained against booking directly with the hotel.

It's amazing what information is freely available on the Internet once you start looking for it.

Also did the BA to Valpo. sailing in 12/2008. Stayed at the Melia BA, which is not that far from the "cruise terminal" - LOL! It's a great hotel,but it can be pricey. Included a great breakfast. It's two blocks east of Florida Street; one of the main shopping venues. Would stay there again if ever in BA.

We just got back from B.A. and stayed for 4 nights at the Melia Recoletta Plaze Boutique Hotel. I think it was about $240 per night. It is a small hotel, staff is very helpful, quiet, and in a great location to the cemetary, world class shopping, etc. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in B.A. and you around the corner from the most expensive hotels, Alvear Palace, Park Hyatt, & Four Seasons.

Archived