Welcome to Sept-Iles! Tour description

Hello,

This message is for everyone who's going to Sept-Iles port on May 19th with the Maasdam. We've heard that you werent able to find what kind of activities are proposed to you when you will come here.

We decided to post a resumé of the tours on this site so you will have an idea of what will be offert to you for May 19th.

Tourisme Sept-Iles and Destination Sept-Îles Nakuainanu think it's important for you to know also what kind of city Sept-Iles is. So you can go on our web site to download our "pratical guide" : http://www.tourismeseptiles.ca.

So here the tours:

1. Train Ride to Innu Camp : A scenic train ride takes you along the Moisie River to a traditionnal Innu camp.
  2. Meet the Natives : Visit the Innu reserve and discover the native's modern life and traditionnal lifestyle.
  3. Explore the North Shore of the St-Lawrence River : Enjoy a comprehensive overview of Québec's North Shore area on this full day tour.
  4. Sept-Îles Highlights : Dicover the city and its rich past with a visit of the museums and historical interpretation center.
  5. Salmon Interpretation Centre : Visit rivière-aux-Rochers Park, a fascinating salmon interpretation centre, and discover Clarke City and the Innu reserve.
  6. Visit an Aluminium Plant : Visit the Alouette aluminium plant, the first aluminium plant in America.
  7. Meet the Local Artists : discover the work of four of the local artists
  8. Sept-Îles Archipelago Zodiac Cruise
  9. Canoeing on Lac Caché : A canoeing aventure in the heart of the taiga where you can experience life in a traditionnal woodman's camp.

In May, in Sept-Îles, it could be king of cold espacially on the sea, you should bring warm cloths just in case...

The Maasdam is the first cruise boat to accost in our beautiful city and Sept-Îles can't wait to see it and all the passengers!

If you need further information about the city, contact us,

À bientôt!

Tourisme Sept-Îles

Thank you for posting the links and information! Quebec is one of my favorite places and I'm delighted to see more ships headed your way.

I do want to point out our community guidelines, however, and remind you that tour operators may not advertise their tours here or ask people to email them for information!

Thank you for posting the links and information! Quebec is one of my favorite places and I'm delighted to see more ships headed your way.

I do want to point out our community guidelines, however, and remind you that tour operators may not advertise their tours here or ask people to email them for information!

I don't see any violation here. Tourisme Sept-Iles and Destination Sept-Îles Nakuainanu is not a tour operator advertising tours. They are the regional tourism development agency listing the available excursions available at their port.

I might add that those of us on the MS Maasdam have not been given any choices from Hal ,as of yet, about the tours that will be available.

IMO they are only showing some of the excursion that will be offered in this first time a cruise ship has visited there and there isn't mention on who will conduct them. Of all the ports on this 15 day repositioning cruise all of the cruise line offered excursions have been posted except for two cities. Both cities are one day only this season stops so the cruise lines have still not posted in Booking Excursions. Holland America states they will be posted on line soon.

I'm surely no pro on the board rules and have to admit that at first I thought the same thing but in my opinion they are only doing us scheduled passengers on the MS Maasdam a favor by giving us advance notice of some of the type excursions that will be available.

Thanks,

A anxious future visitor to Sept-Ille, Quebec

My apologies to the city of Saint Iles. Unless there are two ways to spell it I have been wrong. I was using the Holland America confirmation order which spelled it "Illes". Is there two ways of spelling?

Merci Beau coup

There is basically only one way to spell it, it's îles with a circumflex on the i if you write it in lower case or Iles if you write it in capital letters. The rule is that you don't put accents on capital letters (though I have seen some do it, it doesn't follow the official form.) Also, under official Quebec rules there is a hyphen in place names (with the exception of names where the person is not yet dead for at least year, but after a year the hypen rule applies.) So it is always written Sept-Iles.

Also, it's merci beaucoup. Merci beau coups would mean thanks good blows (hits.) But don't worry about the beaucoup part, just say to people "merci." Pronounced "mehr-si." In Montreal we often hear American tourists saying Merky Buckups."

I wouldn't worry about the spelling or the pronounciation. I'm sure they are probably used to visitors "mass-acre-ing" the name and pronouncing the s at the end, never mind the p. It's basically pronounced like "seht ill."

Now, the provinces name is another one of those confusing items. It's written Quebec in English and pronounces Kwehbeck but in French it is written Québec and pronounced Keh-beck.

There is basically only one way to spell it, it's îles with a circumflex on the i if you write it in lower case or Iles if you write it in capital letters. The rule is that you don't put accents on capital letters (though I have seen some do it, it doesn't follow the official form.) Also, under official Quebec rules there is a hyphen in place names (with the exception of names where the person is not yet dead for at least year, but after a year the hypen rule applies.) So it is always written Sept-Iles.

Also, it's merci beaucoup. Merci beau coups would mean thanks good blows (hits.) But don't worry about the beaucoup part, just say to people "merci." Pronounced "mehr-si." In Montreal we often hear American tourists saying Merky Buckups."

I wouldn't worry about the spelling or the pronounciation. I'm sure they are probably used to visitors "mass-acre-ing" the name and pronouncing the s at the end, never mind the p. It's basically pronounced like "seht ill."

Now, the provinces name is another one of those confusing items. It's written Quebec in English and pronounces Kwehbeck but in French it is written Québec and pronounced Keh-beck.

Merci,

Good lesson. So much for spell check!:o

I don't see any violation here. Tourisme Sept-Iles and Destination Sept-Îles Nakuainanu is not a tour operator advertising tours. They are the regional tourism development agency listing the available excursions available at their port.

I didn't say there was a violation.???:confused::rolleyes: Just reminding of community guidelines for newbies so there isn't one!!!

I am 100% sure that Capitals Letters DO take accents too (I'm a secretary and know my French very well). It's true that many poeple don't put the accents on Capital Letters and this is largely due to the fact that early typing machines didn't have the accents available for Capital Letters but computers do have this function now and it should be used. Of course, most people don't mind either way, especially from visitors.

My apologies to the city of Saint Iles. Unless there are two ways to spell it I have been wrong. I was using the Holland America confirmation order which spelled it "Illes". Is there two ways of spelling?

Merci Beau coup

It is Sept-Îles, meaning Seven Islands, there is no "saint" in there (but so many villages are named after saints, it gets confusing.

Welcome all to the Quebec Province, I hope you'll enjoy your stay in our French speaking province (Montreal is very bilingual though)

I am 100% sure that Capitals Letters DO take accents too (I'm a secretary and know my French very well). It's true that many poeple don't put the accents on Capital Letters and this is largely due to the fact that early typing machines didn't have the accents available for Capital Letters but computers do have this function now and it should be used. Of course, most people don't mind either way, especially from visitors.

Official form in Quebec is not to use the accent on capital letters. You can, but it's not required. To confuse visitors, we also have St-Urbain and Ste-Elizabeth, because the it's saint and sainte in French. And of course there are all the streets with double names in English and odd pronounciations. For example there is Guy street which is pronounces in English but Pie IX whic is pronounced in French. Not to mention Saint Lawrence, where all the signs says Saint-Laurent, just to give an example of such confusion.

Then we can get into the places that don't really exist anymore. Like Université de Chicoutimi, which isn't really in Chicoutimi anymore, becaues they changed the name during the amalgamation and it's now Saguenuay. But we are simply boring people with Quebec's standardization attempts.

And please, don't get me started on how a Chinese wanton has ended up being a Ravioli Chinois in Quebec. :)

Well, I have messed up all day. Never noticed I had typed "Saint". I''ll be the passenger disembarking with a blush.:o

No, you should be the one disembarking with a SMILE because you cared enough to do your research and care about where your're going.

Hello,

If you want information about our city, you can contact us at : info@tourismeseptiles.ca

If you want further information on the tours (like capacity or more description ) you could go on our web site where we added a link to Destination Sept-Îles and St-Lawrence cruises web site.

If you want infos like hours and prices, you must contact your cruise compagny (Holland America).

• 1 month later...

Just a note to say that the Maasdam will be the first ever cruise ship to call our Port. This will be a historic moment and you will be part of it. Being the first time, we will try and make everything perfect, at least we'll get an A for effort.

Just a note to say that the Maasdam will be the first ever cruise ship to call our Port. This will be a historic moment and you will be part of it. Being the first time, we will try and make everything perfect, at least we'll get an A for effort.

I believe we'll be on the second ship ever (NCL Spirit in October)? I know from experience how exciting it is for a town to get visited by a Cruise Ship. I live in Nanaimo, BC. Quite a few ships stop in Victoria (an hour and a half away on Vancouver Island) and of course, many leave from the City of Vancouver but, our town has really only recently had the opportunity to play host to cruisers. We sure make an effort - RCMP officers at the port to greet passengers, signs welcoming everyone in the shop windows, a craft market at the harbourfront....we're honoured that people take the time to visit us and we show our welcome in many ways. I'm sure that the people of Sept-Iles will be doing the same and we can't wait to see another part of Quebec (I lived in Montreal until I was 30 and visited Quebec City etc. but, not much more than that).

Archived