Pirate Ships

notentirelynormal

I’m going to post this on the "ask a cruise question" board as well, but I wanted opinions from both the family board and the general board. We are doing the Caribbean next March with a 1-1/2 YO, 2-1/2 YO and a 5 YO.

There are three possible pirate ship excursions I’ve been considering. The Black Swan in Antigua, the Brig Unicorn in St. Lucia and the pirate ship in Barbados. For those that have done these, my question is two-fold. First as an adult, which one would be the best/most fun?

THEN, the other question would be - would any of these ships be acceptable for little ones? I’ve done a couple of pirate ships and most were about sailing and dancing and a little wildness but not wild obnoxious drunks. Well, at least not until coming back into port. However, its been awhile so I’m wondering if one of these is more sedate / enjoyable for kids. For example, if there is a “show” the kids would enjoy it, going swimming etc, or if its JUST drinking, probably not so much.

Others may disagree with me, but I think those pirate cruises tend to be rowdy with lots of drinking. I was on one and it got pretty wild with all the drinks. And, I've seen many of those boats coming back and they all appeared to be a bit crazy. I don't think I would take kids as young as yours on those boats, but that's just me.

Others may disagree with me, but I think those pirate cruises tend to be rowdy with lots of drinking. I was on one and it got pretty wild with all the drinks. And, I've seen many of those boats coming back and they all appeared to be a bit crazy. I don't think I would take kids as young as yours on those boats, but that's just me.

I'm gonna agree. If there's an open bar, I would keep the kiddies away. Not that anything too wild will happen but from past exerience on boat excursions with free booze, it tends to attract mostly adults and gets to be a party atmosphere....It's fun to be on if you like that kind of thing (when I was younger, dh and I had a great time on them :p) but I wouldn't want to be on one with our 4 1/2 yr old daughter.....

That's kind of why I'm asking. I've been on them too and some of them weren't really that wild. A little yes, but not out of line. Of course, some really were. That's why I was thinking one of these "might" be a little tamer. I'd really love for the 5 YO to go on a pirate ship but.... I'm getting limited here. Thought the submarine ride would be fun for them. Now I hear the 1-1/2 YO was terrified of the ride at Disneyland trying to claw her way out and the 4 YO was not too thrilled either. Then I thought Aquarium but that only bored the younger one. On our Australian cruise the tours were long and the constant stopping and getting on and off the bus made it harder to keep them happy so trying to avoid that too. Heavy sigh.

Yup..... I find most if not all shore excursions are not toddler friendly. I'm thinking of the cruise I just went on and one port was Grand Caymen. One stop on the excursion was at "Hell" which was an area with exposed rock/coral on Hell Road. The whole way there the driver was telling us we were going to hell and when we get there he will tell us when it was time to get out of hell.

Everyone was laughing including me but inside I was cringing wondering how much my 4 yr old was listening to and hoping she's not going to go to preschool and tell someone to "go to hell".:eek:

So glad I can help you out on this one!!!!! Last year on the Radiance most of our planned things to do were centred around us - the parents and dragged the kids around. So in Antigua, we decided to do something for the kids (ages 4 and 7 at the time). We booked the Black Swan pirate ship just for the kids - this was going to be their day! Got on the boat (with many families from our ship so all the kids knew each other) There were about 25/30 of us. Then about 30 young Dutch adults joined us from another ship that was in port. RC excusion described this as a "hop aboard a pirate ship and be a pirate for the day while sailing around Antigua with a stop for swimming at a beach" The Dutch cruise ship excursion must have read "PARTY WITH THE PIRATES" Yes, there was all you could drink juce, soda and rum punch. All in all, it was a fun morning for the kids. They were given plastic pirate swords to play with as well as hats (just to use not to keep) The staff on board were so great with the kids and the kids had a blast (really - so did we with all the rum punch!) Great day for swimming as well. On the way back, the music was cranked up and everyone was dancing and singing.

Maybe if your young ones were just a bit older.......

We did have a great time but it wasn't what we thought it was when we booked. Better description would be "Party with the Pirates"!

Thanks Ginger2000 - exactly the feedback I'm looking for. I'm putting your comments in my notes. I don't mind the rowdiness - just as long as it not ALL rowdiness and no silliness for the kids. My GS is a party animal and I'm sure his sister is going to be the same. Not sure about the other one yet as she's only 3 months old right now and her idea of a good time is eating and sleeping. There will be enough of us to shield them of any unpleasantness as there will probably be at least 10 adults in our group.

Archived