Just got my cruise refared (and you should try too)!

Just got off the phone with my travel agent and was able to refare my June Princess Alaska B2B cruise aboard Diamond Princess from $1279 per person per leg to $649 per person per leg, along with removal of fuel supplements. This saved us over $2,800 with the savings on taxes combined! This is basically another cruise worth of savings or a lot of onboard spending :D.

I suggest everyone to check out to see if pricing on their cruise has been reduced since booking. Not sure, but I think if you already made final payment you're not eligible :( (but it doesn't hurt to check).

I just repriced a clients 7 night bermuda cruise on ncl to the tune of $600 per room. Yes it takes a bite from my paycheck, especially since it was 3 rooms, but, i have also gained a client for life, IN HER WORDS. The price of the cruise for there balcony has gone from $4100 to $2979 since she booked in September.

As long as you haven't made final payment cruises can normally be repriced, as long as the promotion doesn't state for new bookings only.

Just got off the phone with my travel agent and was able to refare my June Princess Alaska B2B cruise aboard Diamond Princess from $1279 per person per leg to $649 per person per leg, along with removal of fuel supplements. This saved us over $2,800 with the savings on taxes combined! This is basically another cruise worth of savings or a lot of onboard spending :D.

I suggest everyone to check out to see if pricing on their cruise has been reduced since booking. Not sure, but I think if you already made final payment you're not eligible :( (but it doesn't hurt to check).

A couple of weeks ago, only one week after booking our December 14-night Carib, the price dropped $500/person ... and we got it repriced accordiingly. And, I keep price checking because prices could go down even more as the economy goes deeper into the toilet.

How exactly does this work? Did you initially book at the regular brochure rate or did you already get a discounted rate that was further discounted? I am looking into taking a cruise in June and was offered a "past cruiser" discount and am wondering if I can take advantage of this or not. Thank you.

How exactly does this work? Did you initially book at the regular brochure rate or did you already get a discounted rate that was further discounted? I am looking into taking a cruise in June and was offered a "past cruiser" discount and am wondering if I can take advantage of this or not. Thank you.

My understanding is that you can usually get a fare reduction, even with past cruiser discounts, if the price goes down. However, usually you can only do this up to the point where you make your final payment.

I was originally on a discounted from brochure price fare, but got it discounted even further.

As far as I see it, you can refare/reprice your cruise as long as you haven't made final payment or the new fare applies only to new bookings.

Better yet: The TA was able to make the switch from a partially obstructed oceanview to a unobstructed oceanview at this new fare! I am very happy with her and will definitely be her client for life!

My understanding is that you can usually get a fare reduction, even with past cruiser discounts, if the price goes down. However, usually you can only do this up to the point where you make your final payment.

From my experience, it's up until your official final payment date rather than when you make your final payment. My June cruise has been paid in full for three months but the final payment date isn't for another two weeks, yet I've been able to get three reductions in the past two months with 5 minute phone calls. That dropped my already good price on the cruise down to ridiculously good. And cruiseguy2, it looks like we'll be on the same sailing but I won't be heading back to Vancouver...

I just got my cruise to the British Isles refared when I found it online for $740 per person less. I called my TA and she got the fare reduced (even though we had already made our final payment). $1480.00 for the two of us! That will pay for all of our shore excursions.

Thanks for your post. You just saved us about $500 on our Panama Canal cruise!

Deb

I just wrote an email and got a response back almost immediately, saying my account will be credited first thing Monday morning. I just made the cut off date!!

I kept meaning to do this and time just got away. Once I saw your post, it reminded me.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Recently was told: not eligible for price matching after final payment is made.

Sometimes, if you do a good job of stressing your disappointment, you'll get some perk (specialty dining; drink card; up grade offer; etc.) or on board credit. It may not be much in comparison to the price change, but something is better than nothing.

Many of you have mentioned calling T.A.s to get fares adjusted. Are you using local TAs, on line companies, or direct cruise line agents?

I was told "no adjustments 90 days prior to sailing if booked and paid for earlier" -- "no adjustments if booked and paid for within 90 days of sailing."

At least one person indicated their TA gave them an adjustment after the cut off. Does it depend on how and with whom you book?

Our fall Med cruise has dropped 4 times since booking last year. Our stateroom has dropped $1,000 off our original discounted fare. AND we have kept our $400 OBC.

Our TA is doing as much "adjusting" as selling the last couple months.

Moral...don't just look for one discount. You can get as many discounts as made available for your room category.

Sooo...we've booked a 14 day Princess cruise in Jan 2010 (cabins assigned already) thru *** ( triple first letter of the alphabet...last time I named them, my post got deleted!). We got a price of $175 pp less than the Princess website shows.

Do I just keep checking the Princess website for our cabin category and see if the price goes down? Or do we check other online prices, too? The TA said she would keep tabs on it too. Is it way too early to keep checking, since we are booked so far out?

Final payment is not due until Nov. 1, 2009...do prices usually drop closer to this date?

Thanks!

Sloth

Sooo...we've booked a 14 day Princess cruise in Jan 2010 (cabins assigned already) thru *** ( triple first letter of the alphabet...last time I named them, my post got deleted!). We got a price of $175 pp less than the Princess website shows.

Do I just keep checking the Princess website for our cabin category and see if the price goes down? Or do we check other online prices, too? The TA said she would keep tabs on it too. Is it way too early to keep checking, since we are booked so far out?

Final payment is not due until Nov. 1, 2009...do prices usually drop closer to this date?

Thanks!

Sloth

I believe I use the same organization for booking our cruises on Holland America. For price drops I check both the cruiseline's website and the agency's online booking engine. I don't know if the agency site is available nationwide or only regionally ... I am in the midwest.

We are sailing in November and mid-February, only a week after booking our 14-night sailing, the price dropped on both sites by $500/person ... while they both dropped that amount, the agency price always was $500/person lower than HAL direct.

So, it's never too soon to check for price drops.

On Celebrity you can still have the price reduced well after your final payments. I have never cruised Princess so cannot speak to their policy.

I have called four times since booking our April12 cruise last Feb. and received adjustment BACK TO MY CREDIT CARD, not OBC for a total of $720!

I just check frequently to see if they have changed. For one reduction of $380, our state had suddenly become eligible for a Resident Discount not offered the week before. Fellow posters on our sailing Roll Call alerted us to most of the reductions.:D

When you see your stateroom category 's price drop on the cruiseline's page, check with the TA.

My stateroom category, actually all balconies, show wait list only. Guess I'm out of luck for price drop.

I was wondering exactly how you get refared? I checked the Carnival web site to see if the price of our cruise has decreased. Our cruise is not even listed on their web site. Does that mean it is sold out? Final payment date is coming up so I need to find this out as soon as possible.

Thank you.

I was wondering exactly how you get refared? I checked the Carnival web site to see if the price of our cruise has decreased. Our cruise is not even listed on their web site. Does that mean it is sold out? Final payment date is coming up so I need to find this out as soon as possible.

Thank you.

My husband checks the RCI site weekly (if not daily) to check the prices and if there is a difference, even $50 pp, he calls our TA to get the price reduced. It sounds like yours might be sold out and you may be out of luck :(. We've had four different price drops since initially booking our cruise, which has been wonderful! We've made final payment now and I honestly don't know if we can try for anymore or not but we will if there is another drop - never hurts to try!

I posted this on the Celebrity board, asking if I would be eligible for a fare reduction:

"Booked a cruise last fall on a standard fare. I've been checking the rates for our cruise on the Celebrity website every so often and sometimes it gives me a "resident" fare, sometimes not. Today a resident fare came up, but it's the first time the resident fare is cheaper than the rate I booked at last year."

Replies seem to indicate that I may be eligible, but to contact my TA ASAP before the resident fare goes away.

Now my current question: When is it too often to contact your TA? I sent her an email yesterday afternoon when I found the resident fare. The time difference between us is 5-6 hrs (me being behind), so I knew I wouldn't get a reply yesterday. This morning there was no reply from her yet, so I called and left her a voicemail about 3 hours ago. In a couple hours she will be closing for the end of the day.

While I really don't want to be a pest, if I am eligible for the fare reduction, I want to grab it before it goes away. Should I try to contact her again today or wait til tomorrow (and hope the resident fare is still there)?

Archived