Should I upgrade to a suite?

*Gigi*

I'm currently booked (with DH and SIL) in VA6004 on the Zuiderdam. (And before anyone asks, DH is disabled and, yes, we do need a handicapped cabin). The agent at HAL mentioned I could upgrade for a small amount to a suite. This is our first cruise, so I'm not sure what the difference is as I have nothing to compare it to. Is it worth it to upgrade to a suite? Do I get anything besides a bit of extra space? We probably will spend some time in our cabin since DH can get overwhelmed with crowds and needs quiet time.

Thanks in advance.

*Gigi*

I'm currently booked (with DH and SIL) in VA6004 on the Zuiderdam. (And before anyone asks, DH is disabled and, yes, we do need a handicapped cabin). The agent at HAL mentioned I could upgrade for a small amount to a suite. This is our first cruise, so I'm not sure what the difference is as I have nothing to compare it to. Is it worth it to upgrade to a suite? Do I get anything besides a bit of extra space? We probably will spend some time in our cabin since DH can get overwhelmed with crowds and needs quiet time.

Thanks in advance.

*Gigi*

Being someone who loves suites and the amenities that attach to them, my first reaction would be YES.

Having said that, you need to know:

- What category suite? SZ, SY, SS are "Superior Suites", not "full" suites, and while they offer a few added amenities, they don't have all the amenities of the "full" Deluxe Verandah Suites (SA, SB, SC).

- Will it be a handicapable suite you move to? Those have roll-in showers, with an available shower seat, vs. non-HC suites which have a tub with kinda high sides (hard for short people like me to climb over) and a separate shower stall which may not be roomy enough for a shower seat.

- A suite WILL indeed offer you extra space, which we enjoy since we're cabin rats. The verandahs are also roomier ... esp in the Deluxe Verandah Suites of SA, SB, SC. Also, since SIL is sharing the cabin, the extra space is desirable.

I'd suggest going to www.hollandamerica.com, OUR SHIPS, STATEROOMS and reviewing what the Deluxe Verandah Suites and Superior Verandah Suites offer.

Then call the agent at HAL and ask specifics about which cabin you'd move to. If DH uses a wheelchair most of the time, probably a HC suite would be the best for you ...

Please keep us posted......

I looked at the deck plans and it appears that the only suites that are wheelchair accessible are SC and SY. It appears that the space you have in your VA is similar to that which is in the SC handicap suite ... the SC is more rectangular in design, while yours is curved and oddly shaped. The SZ is rectangular and oddly shaped with, it appears, less space than the VA you currently hold, tho the verandah may be larger than your VA.

Suggest you check the HAL website to see the amenities offered in the SC, including the use of the Neptune Lounge, and assess for yourself whether it would be of interest. There are not many additional offerings for SY over those you get in your VA.

The determining factor to me would be how much $$$$$$$$ HAL is asking to go to the suite ... and whether it would be an SC or an SY.

I hope this makes sense to you ... and please remember I'm working from deckplans and not from actual experience in wheelchair accessible cabins and/or suites.

Since you currently are holding a wheelchair accessible cabin, my comments are based on that information. If wheelchair accessible is not an issue, you may have other cabin options.

I'm currently booked (with DH and SIL) in VA6004 on the Zuiderdam. (And before anyone asks, DH is disabled and, yes, we do need a handicapped cabin).

How Handicapped is this person?

The OP believes a handicapped cabin is essential.

Hi camp637

I think it was an SY that the agent offered. And the only wheelchair-accessible one I can find on the deck plan seems to be somewhere in the middle.... and actually looks smaller than VA6004 (not sure how that works out). Do I want to be in the middle? Or is the end of the ship better?

We definitely need a wheelchair accessible cabin. DH can't walk and unless he drops 100 lbs, I can't lift him, so we'll be needing a roll-in shower. :p But since the SY will be handicapped, I'm guessing we won't have the whirlpool bath (which he wouldn't be able to use anyway), just a roll-in shower. And since the room doesn't look much bigger than the one we have, I'm not sure if it would just be more cramped with the extra furniture (or if we'd get it anyway to make more space for the wheelchari).

How do I figure out if the SY would have access to the Neptune Lounge? I couldn't find where it said either way.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Hi camp637

I think it was an SY that the agent offered. And the only wheelchair-accessible one I can find on the deck plan seems to be somewhere in the middle.... and actually looks smaller than VA6004 (not sure how that works out). Do I want to be in the middle? Or is the end of the ship better?

We definitely need a wheelchair accessible cabin. DH can't walk and unless he drops 100 lbs, I can't lift him, so we'll be needing a roll-in shower. :p But since the SY will be handicapped, I'm guessing we won't have the whirlpool bath (which he wouldn't be able to use anyway), just a roll-in shower. And since the room doesn't look much bigger than the one we have, I'm not sure if it would just be more cramped with the extra furniture (or if we'd get it anyway to make more space for the wheelchari).

How do I figure out if the SY would have access to the Neptune Lounge? I couldn't find where it said either way.

Thanks again to all who replied.

No, you will not have Neptune access in the SY ... that applies to SA, SB, SC and Penthouse.

I would call HAL and ask if they can get you photos of the handicap VA, SC, SY. Or at least tell you about the space differences by square footage. You may need to escalate your request up the food chain. Both the VA and SC are non-uniform in size and shape when compared with the non-handicapped in the same categories. The SY handicapped cabin is similar to other SY in size and shape, with an angled jog in the space near the verandah doorway.

We always have been mid-ship so I cannot comment on ship motion fore and aft from personal experience ... tho some have commented about more motion there.

We are booked on the Eurodam out of Fort Lauderdale on the 25th April for a 28 night cruise in an SS cabin.

Last week our TA was offered the best available SC - SB - SA suite for an additional 1299 US pp.

I was so tempted but my DW kept reminding me that in AUS $ it was $4,000 as our $ had crumbled from 96c to 64c over the last 4 months.:mad:

I still wanted to upgrade but she said I should be very grateful that we were in an SS.

Naturally DW is absolutely correct!!!!;)

I did tell my TA if they had any better offer that I would still be interested.......never having been in an SC + suite before and the benefits that it entails.

I think I should be grateful that we are at least travelling at all.:)

Cheers,

Cristiano.

PS should I have taken the offer ? :eek:

Cristiano,

I would say your wife is correct, that is a lot of bucks for the Neptune Lounge. Also they only have suites available, are you in a guarantee? You may get moved anyway.

I like the SS room, wish I was in one on our cruise. Let me know if you move up, I'll call and try to get your room!:rolleyes:

Archived