Opinions on the IMAGINATION???

Im a first time cruiser taking off from Miami this March 23 on the Imagination with my wife and 2 daughters (14 and 10). What can any of you tell me about the ships layout, crew,pool area, staff...etc??

We had an excellent time on the Imagination back in December.

Getting around the ship is fairly easy since all of the public decks are above the cabin decks. You just always know that you are going up. All of the main bars/lounges are on Promenade deck, so you can just walk from one to the other.

The main pool area on lido deck is nice with the artificial palm trees and the live band on the stage during the afternoons. Lounge chairs can be hard to come by during the late morning and early afternoon, but by 3:00 or 4:00, things start to empty out. You should be able to find a nice table in the shade along the edges of the lido deck though if your kids want to play in the pool.

The best area for lounging is going to be on the aft "WaterWorks" deck. On our last sea day it was rather windy up there, so the big twister slide was closed, but the smaller racing slides were still open, however almost no one was using them. It was actually kind of peaceful up there and still plenty warm lying in the sun.

If you've never cruised on a Fantasy class ship before, try to take 5 minutes and explore all of the different stations in the lido buffet area. Our first day we just picked a line and got in it, assuming that all of the lines served the same food. It wasn't until the second or third day that we realized that the four buffet stations each serve a different menu. Facing the back of the ship, on the left side by the pool will be your grill area, with a rotisserie in the center and the right line being the mongolian stir fry station. Inside, the left will be the regular "bistro-style" menu, which features a carved meat and other grilled and baked meats, seafoods, pastas, vegetables, etc. On the right side will be the international buffet, which will have a different themed menu every day.

In the center of the lido restaurant is the salad bar, ice cream station, dessert stations and the NY-style Deli, which is actually kind of a kiosk that features sandwiches and wraps made to order. It also doubles as the omelette station during breakfast.

Finally in the back right corner is the 24 hour pizzeria, which was my favorite food on the lido deck. I think I had pizza about 5-6 different times as a meal or random 3am snack during a 4 day cruise.

Traveling with kids, some families are tempted to skip meals in the main dining room because they either don't want to get dressed up, or because they are afraid the kids will be too restless to sit through dinner. DONT SKIP IT! The waiters will entertain your kids and they will have a blast in the main dining room. In many cases Carnival will try to match you up at a table with another family that has kids of a similar age, so your daughters might also make some new friends at dinner.

Of the two production shows, Livin' in America was my favorite, but it is more of a Las Vegas style show, which might not be 100% appropriate for your daughters. Shout! is the other musical seemed to be more like a family friendly amusement park style musical similar to what you'd see in Branson or Dollywood. We didn't catch all of the Welcome Aboard show on the first night, but the variety acts (balancing act, comedian) on the night we were in Cozumel were a favorite with the kids in the audience.

As far as the ports go, there is plenty to do without actually having to book a shore excursion through Carnival.

In Key West, Duval Street is an easy walk and is filled with bakeries and shops that are fun to explore. You don't need to buy the trolley / conch train passes, even walking from Mallory Square to Southernmost Point is only a little over a mile and takes maybe an hour if you are stopping to explore all of the shops and taking pictures along the way.

Make sure that you try the frozen chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick. There are several places that sell it, just look for the sign/poster, but it is only available in Key West and is a must try.

In Cozumel, Nachi Cocum or Mr. Sancho's are the best beaches to try. Many people on the ship go to Playa Mia, but it seems to be far more crowded and just isn't as nice as say Nachi Cocum.

If you want to do something a little more exciting, the dolphin encounter and swim at Chankannab park is well worth the money for this once in a lifetime experience.

For more info about the ship and lots of pictures, see the review link in my signature.

The Imagination is a great ship. You will have a great time and will have so much to do that you will not have time to do it all. Mr. Sancho's beach is great. The taxi have a set fare that they have to charge so just watch for the posted fares as you get off the ship. You have to have the Key Lime Pie in Key West. Go and enjoy and when you get home you will be booking a longer cruise for sure.

Thanks for the updated info on the Imagination. Although I have sailed on her before, it has been many years. I have not sailed on a Carnival ship for a while and I am taking 2 teenagers who have never been on ANY ship, so this is going to be very exciting for all of us. The food choices sound wonderful :D, especially when you are talking about trying to feed a 17 yr old boy on vacation! We will not be skipping the dining room either.

QUESTIONS: In a regular cabin, are there robes to use? Do I need to bring my own hairdryer? Are the sign and sail cards used as your room key? Is anyone familiar with the teen activities??? I believe the two I am bringing would be involved in 2 different teen clubs since they are 14 and 17. Is that correct? Do the two clubs do things together?

Thanks for any info anyone can give me.

Janet

Im a first time cruiser taking off from Miami this March 23 on the Imagination with my wife and 2 daughters (14 and 10). What can any of you tell me about the ships layout, crew,pool area, staff...etc??

The Imagination is a fantastic ship. It was the one that hooked me into becoming a cruise addict.

First thing on the ship get a map from the pursers desk. There are some places you cannot get to by direct route and it may save you some unnecessary walking to get there. Besides the direct route issue it took me until the 3rd day of a 3 day cruise to find the "Serenity deck". Even asking staff only got me lost and confused.

However that being the only problem I had the entire time it was a truely wonderful cruise. I'm sure you will have a great time.

:)Brad:)

QUESTIONS: In a regular cabin, are there robes to use? Do I need to bring my own hairdryer? Are the sign and sail cards used as your room key? Is anyone familiar with the teen activities??? I believe the two I am bringing would be involved in 2 different teen clubs since they are 14 and 17. Is that correct? Do the two clubs do things together?

Janet

There were robes available in the cabins. Can't say about the hairdryer as I'm bald...:confused: The S&S cards are used as keys also. Floated solo so don't know about teen activities.

Have a great time and tell your teens to eat ALL they want...:D

Brad

QUESTIONS: In a regular cabin, are there robes to use? Yes, I love their robes!

Do I need to bring my own hairdryer? Yes, you need to bring your own.

Is anyone familiar with the teen activities??? I believe the two I am bringing would be involved in 2 different teen clubs since they are 14 and 17. Is that correct? Do the two clubs do things together?

Circle C is for 12-14 yrs

Club 02 is for 15-17 yrs.

Have fun!

Archived