Duty Free at San Diego Airport

cruisequeen10

I just found out that there is no Duty Free Store in the San Diego Airport. Any of you San Diegoans out there know if that is true. I need to get my duty free liquor before coming home and I don't want to get it on the ship and pack it in my suitcase.

I guess you could connect in Los Angeles or San Francisco. I wouldn't think that you possibly could save enough on liquor to make the hassle worth it. Buying onboard will be your best option, and then pack as best you can in your checked luggage. TSA will confiscate some types depending on the alcohol content.

David

You can get better deals at the Rite-Aid drug store, 4 blocks from the pier!!

In January, they were selling 1.75L bottles of Canadian Rye Whiskey, Vodka, etc for $11.95US! That was the REGULAR price! It doesn't get much better in the duty-free at airports, considering we pay about $50CAD for the same thing.

Just walk to the Holiday Inn and turn right at the corner. It's 2 blocks up on the left, after you cross the train tracks.

They have lots of wine too.

You'll still have to pack it, as you can't carry it onboard.

Hello There!

I am a native San Diegan, and no, there is no duty free shop in the SD airport. It does not have enough international flights to warrant and support it.

If you don't want to buy it on the ship, then when you are transferring from the ship to the airport, just stop in at a liquor store, grocery store, or pharmacy store. If you are taking a taxi from the ship to the airport, just ask your cabbie where the closest one is, and he can drive you there, then take you the rest of the way to the airport.

Best of luck!

thank you for all your answers. We are flying from San Diego to Vancouver direct. We already purchased our plane tickets, so cannot change. I just don't like the thought of packing liquor in my suitcase, the way they handle it at the airport. I guess I will have to skip the duty free from this trip.

thank you for all your answers. We are flying from San Diego to Vancouver direct. We already purchased our plane tickets, so cannot change. I just don't like the thought of packing liquor in my suitcase, the way they handle it at the airport. I guess I will have to skip the duty free from this trip.

Check with the Airline and see if they offer an onboard Duty Free boutique. Air Canada does have one, you can see what's available on their website, by looking at the Enroute magazine. Buy onboard means that you don't have to worry about packing

I just found out that there is no Duty Free Store in the San Diego Airport. Any of you San Diegoans out there know if that is true. I need to get my duty free liquor before coming home and I don't want to get it on the ship and pack it in my suitcase.
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can buy in a duty-free store if you are not leaving the U.S. I bought some cigarettes once in the Atlanta Airport at a duty-free shop there. In order to buy them, I had to show my boarding pass, proving that I was leaving the U.S. ... flying to San Jose, Costa Rica. I purchased my cigarettes, but could not take them with me. Instead, they were delivered to me onboard the plane right before take-off.

I doubt very much you could purchase liquor in an airport duty-free store unless you could show that you were taking it out of the U.S.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can buy in a duty-free store if you are not leaving the U.S. I bought some cigarettes once in the Atlanta Airport at a duty-free shop there. In order to buy them, I had to show my boarding pass, proving that I was leaving the U.S. ... flying to San Jose, Costa Rica. I purchased my cigarettes, but could not take them with me. Instead, they were delivered to me onboard the plane right before take-off.

I doubt very much you could purchase liquor in an airport duty-free store unless you could show that you were taking it out of the U.S.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am flying from US to Canada, so I can take duty free

I completely understand your situation. Being able to carry the liquor onto the aircraft would be much easier trying to pack it up in your checked luggage. Sorry you can't buy duty free liquor at SAN. :(.

Check with the Airline and see if they offer an onboard Duty Free boutique. Air Canada does have one, you can see what's available on their website, by looking at the Enroute magazine. Buy onboard means that you don't have to worry about packing

thank you, I checked the website and it looks like we can do that. Of course, it is slim pickens on what you can get.

Archived