New Ideas for Activities on Cruise Ships

cruisinmama0

I have been on over 25 different cruises and am getting sick of the same old things like the art auction and the push to buy tanzanite jewelry. I have an upcoming cruise with NCL and am excitied about some of the events I am reading about like the Murder Mystery dinner etc. You are probably wondering why I keep coming back. I have a stressful life and find that I can get many great nights' sleep onboard, loved to be "taken care of", and not having to cook or clean for a week. Typical things that us wives, mothers etc. like on vacation.

Does anyone have any ideas of what they would like to see on cruise ships as activities? This can be a fun thread....let the ideas roll.

We have also done many cruises and our kids are now over 17 years old. I was just thinking yesterday how nice it would be if they did a senior in high school/college mixer for their age group so they can meet each other early on in the cruise. I love the idea of a murder mystery dinner. Tours of the galley and bridge are always interesting for new cruisers. Tai chi for beginners on one of the dance floors maybe?

Speaking of the galley, maybe a cake decorating class, hors d'oeuvres and canape making or a wine pairing dinner (surcharge of course on that).

I like that idea MINUS the surcharge. I also LOVE the idea of a classical music lounge or a 60's / 70's party EVERY night with funky colors, bell bottoms, hip huggers, stacked heels...ok, I'm back...what was the question again?:D

Chair Hogging 101

This class will teach you the fine art of how to save a poolside chair for the day. Class includes instruction on what items to place on your chair and how early in the morning to put them there. Special techniques include tipping a crew member to reserve your chair early in the morning while you sleep in and enjoy a leisurely breakfast.

Class fill up early so make sure you reserve plenty of spots for your family and friends. :D

Even though I have not enjoyed Second City's performances (I believe I am in the minority on this, but I don't think they have been terribly clever), I did enjoy the class they gave on improvisation immensely. They got even the quietest of us engaged. Also, the memory guy gave a seminar on memory techniques the day after his evening performance. Those sort of things - which I guess they are calling NCLU - are my favorites and could really be expanded upon. How about the ventriloquist giving lessons the next day? The chef, bartender, etc. giving classes. Language classes - nothing too formal but take advantage of the multicultural crew by having some of them teach enough words to say, hi, thank-you, etc. and maybe talk about their country, culture, etc.

I have been on over 25 different cruises and am getting sick of the same old things like the art auction and the push to buy tanzanite jewelry. I have an upcoming cruise with NCL and am excitied about some of the events I am reading about like the Murder Mystery dinner etc. You are probably wondering why I keep coming back. I have a stressful life and find that I can get many great nights' sleep onboard, loved to be "taken care of", and not having to cook or clean for a week. Typical things that us wives, mothers etc. like on vacation.

Does anyone have any ideas of what they would like to see on cruise ships as activities? This can be a fun thread....let the ideas roll.

Ok I liked the Jewelry 'Lectures' though only done them once. Twice I have seen entertainers do a workshop though. I.e. Magicians show some tricks and juggler teaches juggling. Had a real laugh on the Jewel doing film quizes too!

I love new experiences. & I've not yet seen cookery courses offered (like how to prepare the perfect pizza/souffle/loaf or bread/coctail ) yet delete as applicable. That would be nice.

I think any guest speaker not talking for the 'profit' of the cruise company would be great i.e. not a port lecture, but a photography 'show' and tips for taking great photo's.

Also not done yet but could see myself learning some dance moves would be fun.

Whatabout a movie club - where they display a series of films in a lounge/theatre during dea days but linked to a theme i.e. Film Noir or Cary Grant or Hitchcock?

Hey if the captains bored, maybe he could put his feet up and let us passengers steer for a while? (J/K)

Trivia is always a fun game........don't know if it already exists?

Tai Chi for beginners was a good idea.

Dating Game.......fun for singles.

I think it would be fun for the ship performers put together a singing group of passengers (Chorus) and have them perform after the final bingo.

*I would love to do an etiquette class. Especially since there is a lot of silverware on the dining room tables.

*Maybe some more theme nights.. Tell pax ahead of time to bring luau clothes, etc.

*Contests- I would love to see some pool contests. Maybe who can get across the pool on those blow up whales or something. I know some people may not like it if everyone had to get out of the pool for a half hour, but it could be fun. I like these type of events BC it's fun to watch and participate and it breaks up the day while you're hanging out at the pool.

Language classes - nothing too formal but take advantage of the multicultural crew by having some of them teach enough words to say, hi, thank-you, etc. and maybe talk about their country, culture, etc.

I love this. I am very into geography and where the crew members are from. I wish they had a giant world map on a wall with pins sticking out that locate each country where crew members are from. I bet a lot of people don't know where Lithuania, Bosnia, Albania etc. are.

I love this. I am very into geography and where the crew members are from. I wish they had a giant world map on a wall with pins sticking out that locate each country where crew members are from. I bet a lot of people don't know where Lithuania, Bosnia, Albania etc. are.

I really like the map idea. Maybe a big globe in the atrium? Whenever we have a chance to ask the crew about their home, it is always fun and fascinating, and they are proud and happy to talk about it.

"How to be a Pirate" Classes?

I like it... then if you don't win the lottery one week, but need to afford a cruise..... :rolleyes:

OR

if you DO get attacked by pirates, then you'll all know how they behave and can gang-up against them. :rolleyes:

OR

if you all have to wear eye patches, you won't notice that the artwork on auction is a gicle, not an original... :rolleyes:

Did you know that on Facebook, at the bottom of your Home Page, it says "english UK or English US"? Did you know you can change that to Pirate, to get a head start on the new NCL Pirate classes?

:eek:

I like it... then if you don't win the lottery one week, but need to afford a cruise..... :rolleyes:

OR

if you DO get attacked by pirates, then you'll all know how they behave and can gang-up against them. :rolleyes:

OR

if you all have to wear eye patches, you won't notice that the artwork on auction is a gicle, not an original... :rolleyes:

Did you know that on Facebook, at the bottom of your Home Page, it says "english UK or English US"? Did you know you can change that to Pirate, to get a head start on the new NCL Pirate classes?

:eek:

Those were pretty much my thoughts when making the suggestion.

How about a day when couples can go and renew their wedding vows?

They did this on the QM2. At any given time they have a priest or a rabbi or a minister on the ship and they perform the "ceremony".

There were about 20 or so couples that participated. It was very nice...cake and punch and a picture were taken. :)

This is fun! Some of the things I would like to see have already been mentioned, but here goes anyway:

Cooking classes

Ballroom dance lessons

A night of ballroom dancing to show off your new moves!

A string quartet

Photography classes

Yoga classes

Movie theater

hmmmmm, looking over my list, I think I must be getting older! If someone tells me I can find these things on HAL, I'm gonna cry.

Pool Chair Hogging for Beginners

Pool Chair Hogging for Experts

How about a how to get the daily surcharge removed and screw over the wait staff? From reading the boards, it appears there might be a few cruisers who are experts at this.

Archived