Novotel Southampton Hotel feedback

Has anyone got any feedback about this hotel? How far is it from West Quay? Is it clean, spacious rooms etc?

The Novotel is our preferred choice when we sail from Southampton. 5 minute walk to West Quay, 1 minute walk to TGI Friday's, short taxi ride to fantastic Indian restaurant, rooms clean and spacious (full 3 seater sofa), good leisure facility, great breakfast and lobby bar. Also within walking distance of City Cruise Terminal - Berth 101. Would recommend it ;).

We've always gone to the Jury's Inn, Charlotte Place and have never been disappointed. Was thinking of trying Novotel since I like doing a fair bit of shopping and seems to be close to quay west shopping mall. I'm a bit aprehensive as I've read quite a few reviews and quite a few were negative. i still can't make up my mind......what a nuicance.:confused:

Loved the Nototel- wouldn't think of staying elsewhere. It is right next to the Quay- across the street from the train station.

Clean, spacious rooms, internet in the room, pay movies, indoor pool, great full breakfast. Fantastic deal.

• 1 year later...
Loved the Nototel- wouldn't think of staying elsewhere. It is right next to the Quay- across the street from the train station.

Clean, spacious rooms, internet in the room, pay movies, indoor pool, great full breakfast. Fantastic deal.

I haven't been able to determine after looking at the website and Trip Advisor whether the rooms have AC. The wording the website uses is "climate control," which can mean it just has heat or a window that's not nailed shut. ;) Apparently the public rooms have AC, but there are several complaints on Trip Advisor about how hot the rooms are, and another post that all rooms will have AC by the end of this summer. Anybody know for sure?

I haven't been able to determine after looking at the website and Trip Advisor whether the rooms have AC. The wording the website uses is "climate control," which can mean it just has heat or a window that's not nailed shut. ;) Apparently the public rooms have AC, but there are several complaints on Trip Advisor about how hot the rooms are, and another post that all rooms will have AC by the end of this summer. Anybody know for sure?

Straight from the horse's mouth, just spoken to them on the phone - Novotel Southampton has no air-conditioned rooms, air-con only in public rooms. Windows in the rooms do open, but only a little way just for ventilation. They provide fans if asked.

In the UK, modern office blocks etc with fixed or near-as-dammit fixed windows generally have air-con, but very few houses - it's rarely that hot, esp at night. But when it is we just open the windows wide.

Even in the glorious summer we've been having, I'd be happy just to open a window wide. But without a decent opening window I'd want air-con.

Which is a shame, cos its a decent hotel - ideally located for train & coach stations, for West Quay mall & for Above Bar, the main traditional shopping street, and for the cruise terminals.

John Bull

Straight from the horse's mouth, just spoken to them on the phone - Novotel Southampton has no air-conditioned rooms, air-con only in public rooms. Windows in the rooms do open, but only a little way just for ventilation. They provide fans if asked.

In the UK, modern office blocks etc with fixed or near-as-dammit fixed windows generally have air-con, but very few houses - it's rarely that hot, esp at night. But when it is we just open the windows wide.

Even in the glorious summer we've been having, I'd be happy just to open a window wide. But without a decent opening window I'd want air-con.

Which is a shame, cos its a decent hotel - ideally located for train & coach stations, for West Quay mall & for Above Bar, the main traditional shopping street, and for the cruise terminals.

John Bull

Thanks for the confirmation, John Bull! That's what I thought. One response on TripAdvisor is from the general manager, who says that after August all rooms will have AC. We'll be there in May, so it's not likely that it'll be stifling--but you never know.

We are staying there in October - I shall try and remember to check in out and report back, probably too late for yourself though.

May can surprise you though - its often one of the nicer months, weatherwise.

Thanks--we've decided that the positives of this hotel outweigh the temporary lack of AC. We'll book and hope for the best--will be glad to hear your report after October.

Just hope that they don't lock the windows when the air con is fixed....hate air con, and always have a window open unless it's minus 1....found there was plenty of window opening in Novotel. We've enjoyed our stay there, and will return! Not too happy with neighbouring Etap, where the back rooms look out onto the MacDonalds, which becomes the hang out for the clubbing set on a Friday. The 3 hotels on site are handy for the station, and for taxis to the docks.

Jo.

• 8 months later...

John Bull

Hello again, John Bull--

I've been checking updated reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor, and one October response from the general manager says (in response to a complaint about hot rooms) that the new "air cooling system" was being installed that week. Have you heard whether or not this is true? We'll be there in late May.

Thanks!

When we stayed in October (18th ish) we found our room to be tolerable, heat wise. My Father on the other hand found his room to be far too hot, one floor up and on the opposite side if I remember correctly - now he likes his room a lot warmer than we do.

When the person delivered the fan to their room she said she was delivering blankets to another room as the occupants were far too cold.

It seems that there was no temperature regulation, either that or no 2 people like the same thing!

When we stayed in October (18th ish) we found our room to be tolerable, heat wise. My Father on the other hand found his room to be far too hot, one floor up and on the opposite side if I remember correctly - now he likes his room a lot warmer than we do.

When the person delivered the fan to their room she said she was delivering blankets to another room as the occupants were far too cold.

It seems that there was no temperature regulation, either that or no 2 people like the same thing!

Hmmm. :confused: That doesn't sound as if their new "air cooling" system had been installed yet. But then it probably wouldn't have been on in October. Thanks!

Although I've never stayed in the hotel, it's one of the preferred choices in that part of the city, along with the ibis hotel as well.

Interestingly, there's another option just about to open within West Quay development, just practically next door to the Carnival UK Headquarters..

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8952579.New_city_hotel_finished_early/

I know Premier Inn isn't to everyone's taste, but it's an alternative. Just don't ask me where they will be expected to park! Due to open in May as well, just in time when the cruise season is getting into full swing.

Scrozuk

Although I've never stayed in the hotel, it's one of the preferred choices in that part of the city, along with the ibis hotel as well.

Interestingly, there's another option just about to open within West Quay development, just practically next door to the Carnival UK Headquarters..

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8952579.New_city_hotel_finished_early/

I know Premier Inn isn't to everyone's taste, but it's an alternative. Just don't ask me where they will be expected to park! Due to open in May as well, just in time when the cruise season is getting into full swing.

Scrozuk

Thanks! I'm hoping someone who's stayed there recently or someone local who's heard will let us know if the AC is in operation the Novotel--although April weather is probably not a good test case for AC. :)

Thanks! I'm hoping someone who's stayed there recently or someone local who's heard will let us know if the AC is in operation the Novotel--although April weather is probably not a good test case for AC.

It's all a bit vague, isn't it. :confused:

"Climate control" :confused:

I had a car with Climate Control - it just means there's a thermostat on the heater :rolleyes: Air-con was an extra.

"Air cooling system" :confused:

Strange phraseology, I've no idea what it means. "Air-con" is the word used in the UK, same as in the US.

We all look for advice on these boards - looks like for Novotel's improvements you'll end up being the one giving the advice :D

But you really won't have a problem in May. :)

JB

I stayed at the hotel last October before my Celebrity Eclipse crossing. I had a very smooth check in, people working there was great, my room was clean and no A/C issue. Breakfast was very good. I will book again.

159e0w.jpg

2eevcec.jpg

qodnih.jpg

I stayed at the hotel last October before my Celebrity Eclipse crossing. I had a very smooth check in, people working there was great, my room was clean and no A/C issue. Breakfast was very good. I will book again.

Thanks, everybody! It looks fine to me! I'll be sure to report my findings about the temperature control (or lack thereof) when I return in June!

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I am asking anyone who has stayed at the Novotel... How far is it from the Cruise terminal? The best way to get to the cruise terminal from the hotel?

We are not sailing until November 2012, Grand Princess from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Hi All,

I am asking anyone who has stayed at the Novotel... How far is it from the Cruise terminal? The best way to get to the cruise terminal from the hotel?

We are not sailing until November 2012, Grand Princess from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Grand Princess is likely to berth at Mayflower terminal or Ocean terminal.

With luggage, both are a £5 to £7 taxi ride. Mayflower is further than it looks. Only City terminal (unlikely for Princess) is sensibly walkable with luggage.

Port map on http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/plans.htm

Novotel is between central rail station & dock gate 10, on the junction of West Quay Road & Southern Road.

Cruise ship schedule via the port information header on that website.

JB :)

Do thay have washers and dryers????

Most hotel's have an email address, why not contact the hotel and ask.

Does your ship not have washers & dryers onboard? When we spend 5 days pre cruise in London, the first thing I did onboard was go to the laundryroom.

Hi All,

Thanks for your help,

Dave

We just took a cab--about 5 minutes. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just inquired via e-mail about the air-conditioning and this was their response:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for enquiring about the Novotel Southampton.

We do have air conditioning system in all public areas.

In the rooms we have air cooling system, and extra portable fans if required.

Archived