Post cruise in Dover

NYC76

Hello.

We are going to London 3 days prior to our cruise and then heading to Dover to get on the ship. After the cruise is over and we return to Dover, I don't really want to go right to the airport. I was wondering what there is to do for a day or two in the Dover area? I am thinking about taking 2 extra days after the cruise to find something to do and then head to the airport.

Any suggestions?

How many nights do you have after the cruise and before your flight?

There's not much in Dover - only the castle, really. But if you want somewhere nearby that's more interesting, Canterbury is a real option.

Or why not just spend some more time in London? You need more than three weeks to see London, never mind three days.

We have 3 days after our cruise. Should we just go back to London or is there somewhere else we should go after the cruise, that we can go by bus or train. I will look into Caterbury.

I would definately spend a day or 2 in Canterbury. It is a beautiful city and a World Heritage site. The Cathedral is amazing and there are some really interesting historical sites to visit.

I would then make my way to London by possibly hiring a car and driving through the Kent countryside ( known as "The Garden of England") visiting some of the pretty villages and Oast houses on the way.

Being a Londoner I would add the days to a stay in London. There is always lots to see there. That said, two years ago, pre-cruise, we spent two days in Kent, mostly visiting gardens. We went to Sissinghurst, Gt Dixter and then to Leeds Castle. we had a wonderful, relaxing time. Canterbury is very very nice but I doubt that more than a day there is necessary.

Hello.

We are going to London 3 days prior to our cruise and then heading to Dover to get on the ship. After the cruise is over and we return to Dover, I don't really want to go right to the airport. I was wondering what there is to do for a day or two in the Dover area? I am thinking about taking 2 extra days after the cruise to find something to do and then head to the airport.

Any suggestions?

In late July 2008, we did five great days in southern England prior to our cruise sailing out of Dover. We were staying in Royal Tunbridge Wells. There are lots and lots of great castles, villages, historic homes, gardens, etc. in this area. We visited a number of Trust properties. This included Churchill's country home, Ruyard Kipling's home, etc. Lots to see and do in this area, especially if you like more of a "country experience" rather than doing the "London thing".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived