Oakland area hotel help, please?

Liz

I'm hoping there might be a Cruise Critic member who lives in or is familiar with the Bay Area and can offer some advice.

I am looking for a hotel in the Oakland area for 2 nights. My dearest friend in life passed away unexpectedly, and I will be attending her memorial service. Her husband has his hands full and I hate to call him for help. I'll be traveling solo, flying into OAK Friday, renting a car, attending the service Saturday and flying home early Sunday morning. I think I should stay near the airport, since I'll have a 6am flight home, but most of the hotel reviews I've read are not too positive about the airport area. A package rate on Tra****city included the Airport Hilton, and I can't imagine that a Hilton could be TOO bad. A staff member at the cemetery (Chapel of *** *****, locals will know what it is) suggested staying in Emeryville. I'm trying to stay around $100/nite if possible.

So fellow cruisers - any advise? Thanks in advance!

Liz

hotel next to oakland airport would be ok, if you didn't plan to do anything in the area except sleep. lack of places to eat, etc. not really a place I would go out at night. not too bad, not great.

emeryville might be a better choice. it is up the freeway about 15 minutes--make that 30 or more with traffic. it is just north of the east end of the bay bridge. it has condos, nearby waterfront, next to berkeley and has big shopping centers..Ikea, some big malls, movie theaters, etc. it is not pedestrian friendly, but more places to eat, borders bookstore, etc.

I would call the airline and ask what time to get to oakland for a 6 am flight--4:45? and check with rental company about whether they are open or what the deal would be.

oakland airport is very small and has been undergoing construction on the roads forever. I 'm not sure it is done yet. but the airport is easy to figure out and has no parking garages to confuse you.

We have stayed at the Oakland Airport Hilton a number of times before early flights and have found it satisfactory. Although the last time was two or three years ago, I would imagine would still be so. For a 6 a.m. departure, I think staying at the airport would be more convenient than staying in Emeryville.

There is a shuttle from the hotel every 15 minutes, so if you were to return your car the night before your departure, you could take the car rental shuttle to the airport and then the hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotel and not have to worry about returning the car in the morning.

Hello,

Try the Doubletree at the Berkeley Marina, the Holiday Inn at the San Francisco Bay Bridge, and the Hilton the Oakland Airport would be fine. Other hotels in Emeryville would be satisfactory as well. Make sure you check for manager's specials weekend rates, AAA, and if applicable AARP.

Also check hotels/motels in San Leandro, which is on the south side of the Oakland Airport.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Well...let's see...

I actully stay in the Oakland area often...My company is headquartered there...

I've never found any good reason to stay near the airport...

I don't like Downtown Oakland at all either, though I've stayed a few times at the Marriott downtown...but I'd prefer not to...

Hotels I like include, of course, the Claremont--but that may be a bit pricey...

One of my favorites when I'm up there for business is the Waterfront Plaza:

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/waterfront

It's at Jack London Square--which is a fairly nice area...about 10-15 minutes drive to the airport...lots of restaurants and shops in the immediate area...I think their "published rates" start at about $129 per night--depending on dates and promotions...

If you're just going to be in and out, the Hilton would be perfect for you~~Good restaurants, very close to the airport and convenient to the freway~~Also, about a half mile up from the Hilton is Francescos Italian restaurant which I consider to be one of the best in all of Oakland, very nice but casual as well:)

Thank you, everyone! I have some ideas now and can get going on my travel plans. I've never driven in CA before (although I do just fine here in Florida with all of our crazies...) so I'm trying to stay as "local" as I can - trying to keep my opportunites for getting lost to a minimum.

Thank you again -

Liz

Archived