Hilo - roberts tours or ricky's tours?

cruiser123cba

Which would you recommend and why? Thanks in advance!:)

Hello Atlanta Pair,

We have not yet gone to Hawaii...we are still in the planning phase for our trip in Nov. I have been reading the Holland America , Zaandam thread for Oct 4 to Oct22 2009 and there has been some conversations there re what Ricky's costs and what they offer. I know Roberts is a big tour company..while Ricky's sounds as those his tour could be in more of a 10 pasenger van and more tailored made for the people going. He seems to be fairly popular choice for a private tour on the HAL board but I am sure when you read you will be able to decide for yourself. Aloha!

Which would you recommend and why? Thanks in advance!:)

We ended up renting a car and doing it ourselves but I'd recommend Ricky's way over Roberts! We saw both the big bus and the small van unloading etc. at the various sights and there was no comparison! How do you like to stand and wait for 40-some other people to get on and off a bus?

• Administrators

In order of preference:

1) Rent a car and have just your party to tour VNP, using sites like http://www.nps.gov/havo/ and http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/bigisle/volcano.htm as a guide.

2) A small (15 people or less) guided tour with a knowledgeable guide.

3) A big bus (50+ people experience).

The larger the excursion and number of people, the less you can actually see/do. Most big buses do not go down Chain of Craters Drive, also. On a big bus you'll spend a significant percentage of the day just exiting the bus, and reboarding the bus. Even apart from it being Hawaii, and a live volcano, this isn't ever my first choice for a day in a port. I'd do it myself, or go with a SMALL, personalized group.

MichellP - Do you know if the drive guides that the car rental companies give out are the same as the website you are referring to - alternative-hawaii.com? I see where you can order the drive guides ahead of time for $4 from the website - driveguidemagazines.com. I just wondered if these were the same.

Cindy

• Administrators
MichellP - Do you know if the drive guides that the car rental companies give out are the same as the website you are referring to - alternative-hawaii.com? I see where you can order the drive guides ahead of time for $4 from the website - driveguidemagazines.com. I just wondered if these were the same.

Cindy

The Drive Guide Magazines one (it only costs money ($4 per magazine) if you order in advance to have a hard copy while planning, it's free if you just look at 'em on the web) are the same as the car rental agency hands out in Hawaii (all the agencies appear to use this company to print their individual mags (based on the ones we received at different companies)).

Alternative-Hawaii.com is a different site -- their "be your own tour guide" information isn't the same as the drive-guides-- it gives mileage to the tenth of a mile (with landmarks to look for), giving specific instructions to reach various places with limited descriptions of what's there. It's not a glossy photo magazine (I printed the drive guides without photos, actually). I thought of it not so much a "what do I want to do" resource, but a "how do I get where I want to go" resource, if that makes sense?

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from our Hawaiian cruise on Celebrity's Mercury and used Ricky's Tours for out tour on Hilo. He was absolutely wonderful. We were originally scheduled to travel in a van but a few more guests joined us and he rented a much larger vehicle. It was super comfortable and easy to get in and out of. He was a great host and we all had a wonderful time. We saw many wonderful sights and I would strongly recommend Ricky and this tour.

Can't say the same for Richard of Hawaiian Eyes. We were scheduled with him for Maui but when our tender reached the shore he was nowhere to be found. Tried calling him but no return call. Have e-mailed him and am awaiting a reply to try to find out what happened.

LuAnn, Were you on the west Maui tour? We waited for about 40 minutes for a couple of people, I think we left between 9:15 and 9:30. I do know he tried to call you and another couple several times. His son did the tour and it was great.

MomC Ricky's email is rickystours@yahoo.com.

We enjoyed his tour and also the West Maui tour with Hawaiian Eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes we were supposed to be on this tour. We walked up and down the street looking for the tour but couldn't find anyone. I asked several other tour guides if they knew where Richard or Hawaiian Eyes could be found and they didn't know. I even asked a tour guide from Celebrity and he didn't have the faintest idea who I was talking about.

Ddin't get a call so I don't know what happened there. Now I'm really sorry that we missed the tour.

Thanks for update.

LuAnn

• 1 month later...

We just got back from the 5/16 POA cruise and used Ricky as well. He was twice as good as our Kona Tour (booked through NCL) and was half the price. He has worked for Robert's and at the Volcano National Park, so he knew everything about the island and we saw all of the Hilo highlights. He was one of the highlights of our trip (along with Power Hangliding in Oahu and Movie/Helicopter Tour in Kauai)

• 5 months later...
LuAnn, Were you on the west Maui tour? We waited for about 40 minutes for a couple of people, I think we left between 9:15 and 9:30. I do know he tried to call you and another couple several times. His son did the tour and it was great.

MomC Ricky's email is rickystours@yahoo.com.

We enjoyed his tour and also the West Maui tour with Hawaiian Eyes.

Email or call him on the cell.

• 3 years later...

Here is an update on Ricky's tours - fantastic! I was just there last week and we used Ricky's tours for our day in Hilo. I like that he operates a van vs a tour bus. The tour on a van feels more intimate. Ricky is incredibly knowledgable and works very hard to make your day a good one. ~Dominique

Archived