Venice with a 22 month old? I hear it's a bad idea...what do you think?

deniuh

Ftrom what i have read, there are lots of bridges and stairs.. but we are doing it anyway with our 27MO in May....bringing a light but sturdy stroller nice as well.(Combi).

Wont be the same as if it were just us.. but I also have heard great stories about kids in Venice as well... Just bring patience and a realistic viewpoint of what it may be like.

I will definitely be reporting back when we come home.

Ftrom what i have read, there are lots of bridges and stairs.. but we are doing it anyway with our 27MO in May....bringing a light but sturdy stroller nice as well.(Combi).

Wont be the same as if it were just us.. but I also have heard great stories about kids in Venice as well... Just bring patience and a realistic viewpoint of what it may be like.

I will definitely be reporting back when we come home.

Hi there,

Please email me when you get back because I am gonna have lots of questions about where to stay etc. I think it's doable but it's always good to ask you guys the experts. Thanks for the encouragement. I was feeling down because we really don't want to leave our DD behind.

Thanks for your response. Can you recommend a back pack? Actually I am not even sure what that is....sorry.

Here is a good place to start looking for a good backup.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=kid+carrier

The challenge with an older toddler is that they start wanting to explore more on their own then the younger ones. It won't be an easy task hiking with this, but very doable. Also remember that if you are in a tight place or stores you need to be very aware your enviroment or you'll be knocking things left and right carrying this.

Be sure to let the toddler run in San Marco. They'll have a blast chasing them famous pigeons.

Good luck and enjoy Venice

Stay away from St. Mark's square during peak times. I was in Venice with my then almost three year old and was so worried that he would fall in the water. Fear not. It was great. I did have an umbrella stroller and my older son and I would just lift him over the bridges. It was like ali- up! We managed just fine. He loved the modern artwork in front of the train station and the pigeons in St. Mark's. In fact, he laughed hysterically when the pigeons flew into me and started pecking at me because I was throwing birdseed into the air. I ran screaming out of St. Mark's with my kids in hysterics. Ah... those magic moments.

There was an article in the New York Times last Sunday about visiting Venice with an infant. Although the couple was travelling with an infant and not a toddler, the gist of the article was that Venetians (and Italians in general) love bambinos and made them feel very welcome.

Hi there,

Please email me when you get back because I am gonna have lots of questions about where to stay etc. I think it's doable but it's always good to ask you guys the experts. Thanks for the encouragement. I was feeling down because we really don't want to leave our DD behind.

Sure thing- I will post when I get back and we can chat about any specifics you may have.

Thanks everyone for your positive feedback. I am so psyched now that I don't have to leave my DD at home. I will check out the link for the backpack. This thread is wonderful and I appreciate all the advice. Thanks.

Gosh, what a lucky 22 month-old. I want to go....!:D

Seriously, a backpack or baby carrier will be a wonderful way to transport to your child safely while keeping your hands free. You and your spouse can also take turns transporting the baby so no backstrain for either parent.

Have a wonderful time in Venice!!!!

We were just in Venice last month with our then four month old. We didn't take our stroller, just used the baby carrier. We did see lots of strollers, but they had to be carried over the bridges, and the crowds made getting them off and on the water buses kind of tough. The people were great, though, and we had a wonderful time. Just carried her, and walked a lot. Have fun!

Thanks everyone for your positive feedback. I am so psyched now that I don't have to leave my DD at home. I will check out the link for the backpack. This thread is wonderful and I appreciate all the advice. Thanks.

We've done Venice a number of times with our DD (she's now 13YO :eek: and taking both Spanish and Italian!). Our first was when she was about 2YO and then again when she was 4YO (and again when she was 12YO). Two was a bit easier than four -- we did use a backpack when she was 2 and that was pretty easy. When she was four we brought a very easily folded umbrella stroller that we could pop out whenver she was bushed - but most of the time she walked. (when she was 12YO she just wanted to shop - boots, scarves, tops and I was having a hard time keeping up with her!).

There is a nice park with playground just across the main bridge from the Piazzale Roma (not the new bridge).

It is a fun city with kids of all ages.

Just a quick anecdotal story to add here. Being in St. Mark's Square in Venice is one of my earliest memories at age 4 years! I remember the pigeons feeding out of my brother's and sister's hands, but not my little one.

While my Mom and Dad looked at venetian glass displays in the shops under the arches of St. Mark's I crawled under the cafe tables to feed those pigeons. When I backed out, my family was gone! I immediately wondered off; and my Mother just as quickly realized I did not follow them into the shop. I still remember describing my Mother's lovely green dress to the two British ladies that found me and quickly reunited me with my family. We still talk about it these many years later.

I don't say this to scare you but to realize that wonderful memories are made when you don't even know it. I still remember the gondala ride too. I might not have remembered things quite so much without the excitement.

Enjoy Venice. (this was 2 years after my transatlantic on the Cunard Saxonia)

Wow Ladies, your stories and encouragement is appreciated!! I too believe that memories are made no matter how young they are. We plan to have a great time in Venice. I am checking out the back pack recommendations. My DH and I are short....like 5'6" ...I am even shorter so we need a back pack that we can handle. Thanks guys!

hOnestly- you can relax. the fact is that Venice is a great place for kids. There are no cars. There are walls around the canals and a child would not just decide to jump in the murky water.

I had nightmares about Venice with a 2 year old and it was great- no problem. You aren't going to be in a hurry- you are on vacation. Just bring the umbrella stroller for when you really need it. The rest of the time- your child will love walking and exploring.

There is a park by the arsenal- just keep walking along the waterfront and you'll find a nice tree-lined neighborhood and small playground. Great place to escape the crowds and see how the locals live.

I highly recommend taking the ferry to Burano- this is charming and and an even better place for kids.

• 2 weeks later...
hOnestly- you can relax. the fact is that Venice is a great place for kids. There are no cars. There are walls around the canals and a child would not just decide to jump in the murky water.

Some of the smaller canals don't have protective walls so although no child would decide to JUMP in, a little one may *fall* in!

I'd definitely recommend the backpack; much easier for the water buses, plus if your little one can walk and wants to walk for a little while I'd always recommend "reins" or at the very least a wrist-strap, in any city.

With regard to hotels, I always research Tripadvisor.com thoroughly; we booked our Venice hotel on the basis of the Tripadvisor reviews, and we weren't disappointed.

Venice can be very hot and tiring depending on when you go, so I recommend taking some time out to sit down at Cafe Florian in St. Mark's Square, and just watching the spectacle....it's expensive but wonderful, and worth it. We saw a Venetian wedding when we were sitting there.

Venice is wonderful - enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

We did Venice with our toddler a few years ago and it went really well, we did have a backpack carrier that was a HUGE lifesaver. You can look at Babies r us for the carriers, they change so often that it is hard to give a good recommendation. I like that website because other people have rated them and you can see which are easier to put on and take off and fold up easily. We did not do a lot of the water taxis, just walked through a lot of the canal streets on our own and it is possible to find squares that are empty to let the kids run around and not be too close to water. Plus, when you go into shops and things like that, it is so much easier to do without a stroller. We had a great time with our dd and the people in Europe are so friendly when you have little kids, you will get to see so much more because of the kids, the owners will serve you faster, seat you better, and offer treats and toys to entertain the kids. Have fun!!

We have been to Venice too many times. Not only are their stairs on nearly every bridge but the streets (walkways) are cobblestone. First time we made the mistake of the stroller and totalled the wheels. The next time we took our daughter in one of those nice sturdy back packs. If you do have a Baby Jogger with huge wheels that would work, but I don't think you can get that on the plane.

Has anyone travelled to Venice with a toddler? I hear the streets are not stroller friendly, and the canals and the bridges make it even harder. Please advise. Thanks

You have heard right! Another thing that needs to be mentioned is this......while there are wrought iron railings in some places........ the canals run right thru the city and if you do a walking tour you really need to be sure that the 22 mo is securely fastened in. There will be little to none walking for the child......and you must keep your hands on the stroller at all times. Sure you will be able to go thru the cathedral etc just holding the child...as I doubt they want you pushing a stroller there anyway....but you are not going to stand on the Bridge of Sighs or walk the back streets (the best thing in Venice, btw!) unless you are tied to that child!

Now, I know many here will say that I am overreacting....but I am not....for any child that walks up to and including a 5 yo....I believe that they could be in very dangerous situations due to the proximity of the canals.

Last summer when we went with our 4dd's, the youngest being 71/2 and an excellent swimmer and not a climber at all, I felt comfortable and never even gave the water issue a thought...but a 22mo...if let loose...I would be terrified. And I believe a 22mo will be way too heavy to keep in a back carrier.....they would need a stroller....and you will be lifting it every 100 feet or so to go up and down the bridges.

Someone mentioned that the Venetians have kids too....but they live there....we don't....thus, we are not familiar with the city.

A better bet would be to leave the toddler on the ship with a babysitter. Or wait a few years.

BTW, we travel alot and our kids are good at it....but their current ages are 8, 13, 14, 18,....it is much easier for us and we waited until the youngest was 7 1/2 before venturing back to Europe. She loved and remembers it btw.

I wanted to add that if you are interested in researching different types of baby carriers, you should check out www.thebabywearer.com. I have been using it to pick out a carrier for my new little one who will be arriving this summer, and I have found it to be very helpful.

I know that you will have a great trip. I can't wait to cruise with my baby!

Archived