NCL and best tours in Juneau,Skagway & Ketchikan

aim-high

Hi,

We are planning on our first cruise to Alaska and we are planning to take 7 days RT from Seattle (Not considering vancouver). Since there are too many choices on the RT from Seattle, we have narrowed it down to going by NCL-pearl. The route taken by this cruise line is the following.

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay

Ketchikan

Victoria,BC

I would like to know what are the best tours/excursions/expeditions that I should take in the above places or in other words, what to see in the above places. Any advise on this is welcome.

When we visited Skagway last year, I followed the suggestion I got here of renting a car. It worked out great. We went to the gold rush cemetery outside of town and then drove up into Canada to Emerald Lake, stopping at the dog sled camp. The scenery was beautiful. We lucked out with sunny weather pretty much the whole way.

Hi,

I've been to Alaska once on the Sun and am going in July on the Pearl. Unless you have done several train trips in the mountains, I would recommend The Chilkoot train/van excursion instead of driving. We are driving this time but I think the train is a wonderful experience for the first timers. I would also recommend a whale watching trip in Juneau. We thought we would see whales from the ship, but didn't despite diligent observations. We are going with Harv and Marv, highly recommended by CC people. Be sure to see Mendenhall in Juneau. In Ketchikan, we found a guy in town to give us a tour, eagles and all.

We absolutely loved our first NCL cruise to Alaska two years ago.

Donna

Sorry, but my common reply. :) You need to do your homework, take a look at a shore excursion list, there are hundreds of tours. Narrow down your interests, then repost, at least some limits on the listings.

It really depends on your interests and your group.

The first time we went to Alaska we did entirely different things that we will do this time. Of course, at the time we were just a couple and now we're traveling with two small children, but our interests are also different.

When we went the first time we did a helicopter tour on the Juneau ice field. It was a two stop "pilot's choice" and was fantastic. Also in Juneau we went up the Mt. Roberts tram and hiked down (about 2 hours and super easy downhill hike). This time we're going whale watching and will also do the tram up to Mt. Roberts.

When we went to Skagway last time we did the horseback riding tour. It was beautiful, but far from the ship, so we only got to do that. We did not get to do the train and I regretted that. This time we're doing the Chilakook Wildlife Exploration tour and hoping we have enough time to do the train as well.

Glacier Bay is a place you visit but don't stop.

Ketchikan is a neat little town. On our first trip we had a sea plane tour planned for Misty Fjords, but it was cancelled due to weather. :( We ended up just wandering around town and getting back on the ship. It was a dissapointment. This time we're doing a boat tour of Misty Fjords.

We didn't do Victoria on our first cruise, but did it on another cruise of Brittish Columbia. The Victoria Gardens is AMAZING. I don't know how it works if you're in port super late (like NCL's itinerary), but if they do it, it would be wonderful for groups of all kinds.

Have fun planning your trip!

I'm booked on the NCl Pearl for a first time cruise to Alaska.

I have planned so Far:

Juneau - Whale Watching

Skagway - 7 hr train/van trip with dog carting with chilkoot

Victoria- horse carriage ride, Empress Hotel, Totem Park and then walk the inner harbor if time.

Now Ketchikan I'm stuck on what to do

Ketchikan is a neat little town. On our first trip we had a sea plane tour planned for Misty Fjords, but it was cancelled due to weather. We ended up just wandering around town and getting back on the ship. It was a dissapointment. This time we're doing a boat tour of Misty Fjords.

I don't want to be disappointed and I know if we don't have something p;lanned that will happen.

Can I ask why you decided on the boat instead of a plane this trip? My SO doesn't want to go on a small plane.

Thanks everyone.

Your advises are really helpful. I just need to find the ones that I like and that I can afford. Some of the tours seem very costly so if you have any advise of where I can book to save some bucks , please do let me know.

But I think I will get my interests narrowed down and shoot for the best ones.

Have a look at ISLAND WINGS web site for a great float plane trip thru the Misty Ffiords.

She will only go if the weather gives passengers a good viewing trip, and if not you only forfeit your deposit, unlike the on-board tour where you lose the full cost.

NCL Sun was our first cruise and the trip was so good I'm almost afraid to do it again in case it doesn't come up to the first time!!

Have fun.

Have a look at ISLAND WINGS web site for a great float plane trip thru the Misty Ffiords.

She will only go if the weather gives passengers a good viewing trip, and if not you only forfeit your deposit, unlike the on-board tour where you lose the full cost.

NCL Sun was our first cruise and the trip was so good I'm almost afraid to do it again in case it doesn't come up to the first time!!

Have fun.

I don't think that is true at least not with all lines. On my NCL Hawii cruise my Tubing tour was cancelled and I got a full refund.

If you're a no show for a tour that still goes then you get charged but not if the tour is cancelled by the vendor.

I find it hard to believe that she Island Wings would take any money for a person if they cancelled the tour Deposit or not, if the vendor cancells it should cost you nothing. Check into that before ypu book anything.

• 3 weeks later...
wHERE CAN I GO ON LINE TO BOOK EITHER THE PLANE OR BOAT TOUR TO MISTY FJORDS?

THANKS ELLEN

I am booking Misty Fjords ( great discount if booked by the end of march)thrugh here cruise dot com under the tab "shore excursions"

Note: I have no personal experience with this operator, but it appears identical to the one offered by the cruise ship for less money.

We've cruised Alasks with NCL 3 times now and have enjoyed each one very much - in fact, we'll be back again this May. Each time, we've splurged on our excursions thinking that we might not make it back again so here are the ones we highly recommend. We'd do them again if we had more time - but there's just too many great excursion options in Alaska! :rolleyes:

Juneau - whalewatching with Harv and Marv. We loved the personalized attention, the wildlife, the scenery and the cookies!

We've also done the Taku Glacier Lodge excursion and enjoyed that as well. It's kind of pricey, but to us, the combination of the flightseeing, the lodge and the lunch were worth it.

Skagway - Takshanuk Mountain Trail by 4 x 4 (it has a new name now - Sub-Alpine Mountain Explorer). Beautiful scenery, fun driving the 4 x 4s , a wonderful lunch and snowball fights (we went in May)!

We've also done the train and we've driven with Murray's guide to Emerald Lake. Equally beautiful in different ways. I'm glad we also did the train; but it was nice to stop and do different things along the way when we drove ourselves.

Ketchikan - We went ziplining with Rainforest Canopy Adventures and loved it. If you don't mind heights, this is a lot of fun.

We've also gone kayaking to Orca's Cove with Southeast Sea Kayaks (booked independently) and highly recommend them. We were inexperienced kayakers, and had no problems at all.

Victoria - because it's such a short portcall we usually just walk round town or head to Butchart Gardens. The gardens are well worth a viewing even with just a few hours - plus during the summer they do a nighttime fireworks show that is very impressive.

Archived