Differences between Carnival and RCCL?

party-of-six

Hello. My husband and I just returned from a Carnival cruise and have decided that we are taking our four kids with us next time. Currently, we are looking at Carnival Splendor and RCCL Mariner Of The Seas cruises. What, if any, are the main differences between the two lines? Do the dining rooms have kids menus? Also, with the $10.00 a day tipping, on a seven day cruise that would be $420.00 in tips, is that right? That just seems a bit high to me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

The tips are $9.75 per person per day---even for kids...so include that in your cruise budget! So, that does work out to about $410.00 for the 6 of your in tips--not including the tips that they'll add to your bartab every time you order a drink, or to the soda card (or individual soda purchases) that you may make. The tips cover your room attendant, waiter, ass't. waiter, and head waiter.

Don't forget porters, room service delivery folks, and taxis!

Mariner has more "bells and whistles" than the Carnival ships, but I think you'll find the overall experience to be more alike than different!

When cruising, you just need to realize that you'll spend about 1/2 the total cost of the cruise in "extras", so budget for it!

We are considering both of these ships as well. Our boys are 7 and almost 4. So far we are still undecided....

Splendor has the waterslide and the kids water play park. Oh they have mini golf as well I believe. It is a smaller ship than the Mariner OTS so might seem more crowded than the Mariner at full capacity! I read that the Splendor is a new class of ship but similar to a Costa ship... there was something about the layout being a little choppy... having to go up across and then back down to get to the dining room or something like that?! The Splendor is a NEW ship.

Mariner of the Seas has the rock climbing wall, ice rink and mini golf. They have an arcade as well I believe. I feel like my boys may enjoy the kids club on RCCL better but I could be totally wrong. The new dining thing for families sounds like a nice thing... might just sway us to go with Mariner. I read that Mariner is going into dry dock in late April ... so they "may" install new flat screen tvs in the staterooms? Who knows, we'll see! At least they will replace carpet etc that need replacing.

It's tough. There are pro's and cons to both. I just can't decide if we want the waterslides and water park and 24 ice cream on a smaller but new ship. Or a larger ship with the promenade, the johnny rockets, ben and jerrys and the rock climbing wall. If they had put a water park type thing on the Mariner that would seal the deal for us... you'd get a little of everything.

My 7 year old has been begging to cruise for years and we just haven't been able to make it happen. We just want it to WOW him!

Good Luck with your decision!

We are currently trying to make the exact same decision! For a family of 4 in an outside cabin, the price difference was about $700 (that's with taking advantage of Carnival's early bird rates).

We sailed RC last year and the kids loved the rock climbing and the ice skating. They also loved the flow rider and the big water park. But, they also think they would like to try the big slide and the movies under the stars - so are willing to give Carnival a try.

The kids loved the kids clubs on RC. We all thought the shows and the food were very good - but I'm assuming these would all be similarly good on Carnival?

And $700 cheaper on Carnival for the same itinerary and a new ship...

I guess we are all lucky to have such an exciting decision to make! We really can't lose I don't think!:)

Thanks. As of right now, I do not see the schedules (or whatever they are called) out for when we are planning to go which is late May 2010, so I am not sure of what the price differences may be. Does anyone happen to know when they will have the May/June prices out?

Also, does anyone know if there are dinner tables for six or would we be at a table for 10 with 4 other people?

My kids are very excited. We told them we need to save money so we can go and they are really good about helping to think of ways to save. Although my 7 year old daughter just announced that she wants to go on a cruise-by herself. She even said she'd pay for it and has $1.00 so far. I just think she wants a brother-free vacation :p

I took my four kids on carnival and they had a blast and can't wait to cruise again. $420.00 for tips was worth that amount with all the stuff the staff and people did for us.Plus we tipped extra. Camp carnival was fantastic with the kids.

Kim

I believe in tipping I tip pretty much everyone when it comes to being waited on. I give two bucks per bag for the porter, I tip the cab driver or bus driver depending on our method of travel, so I am not what I would call a cheap scape, but there is no way I am going to tip $420.00 for the four of us. We have young kids and while I understand they are waited on that is a bit much for me. I don't have a problem with tipping over the adult rate but that is way too high in my opinion. Our budget is so tight now that we are booking inside rooms and that is just over the top

I believe in tipping I tip pretty much everyone when it comes to being waited on. I give two bucks per bag for the porter, I tip the cab driver or bus driver depending on our method of travel, so I am not what I would call a cheap scape, but there is no way I am going to tip $420.00 for the four of us. We have young kids and while I understand they are waited on that is a bit much for me. I don't have a problem with tipping over the adult rate but that is way too high in my opinion. Our budget is so tight now that we are booking inside rooms and that is just over the top

This statement is somewhat of a contradiction....

Tipping is a part of cruising. The first cruise, DD was only 9 or so and I felt as if the tipping amount for her was too much. Once you get on board and really see how much they cater to, pamper and spoil your children, you will find it is well worth the cost. Plus, since it is added directly to your shipboard account, it would make one look cheap to have it removed.

I know that RCL gives paxs the option of paying cash vs. auto tipping but all the other lines we have sailed have auto tipping and it is automatically added to your S&S card. Tipping in cash means removing the auto tip; which is frowned upon.

If you think $9.75 pp is expensive, try sailing on NCL where tips are $12 pp (including children).

There is no comparing Carnival an RC. RC is the way to go.

Sorry but I disagree. As someone who has done both and is a diehard Royal Caribbean fan, I can still see the good in Carnival. For a family who may be talking about a $700 price difference between the two ships...and Splendor is newer than Mariner by 4 years...I could see choosing Carnival.

And Fleeflicker, I can see being "cheap" but you assume the price of cruising when you cruise. And that includes the price they lay out for tipping. It's at least $10pp per day on most lines and that includes children.

But you know that by now. ;)

I understand your point, but I always pay in cash anyway so I wouldn't look cheap from that. I just think $420.00 is just a little too much that is all I am saying. Now if it was 4 adults it would be different. It is just an opinion.

Yes, it is your opinion and only you can decide what to do. My opinion differs. (I am a parent; we never considered "reducing" tips to anyone when our DD was a child; I spent the first couple of years in college working as a waitress, so I do know a bit about the service industry.)

Why exactly would four adults be different in regard to tipping? Your children sleep in beds that have sheets/pillows/blankets, use towels/take showers/clean up in the bathroom, make the usual messes (by which I mean that we all make messes; I'm not saying "kids are so messy"--as if adults are not--like some do), eat in restaurants/buffet/pool grill/room service/etc., ask for things from various crew members, and pretty much everything that all cruisers do. Do you feel it is somehow less work to clean up after or serve food/drinks to a child than it is to an adult? I do not. Add to that the fact that crew members usually do go above and beyond to make the children onboard feel special and have a wonderful time.

I'm sorry that you feel that service crew/staff taking care of your children's needs do not deserve the same compensation as they would if your children were adults. I realize that parents sometimes look at the total amount and cringe, but that is no reason to figure, "They're only children, so we shouldn't be expected to tip as much for them." In my experience, children are at least as much work as adults.

That is, of course, just my opinion.

beachchick

I understand your point, but I always pay in cash anyway so I wouldn't look cheap from that. I just think $420.00 is just a little too much that is all I am saying. Now if it was 4 adults it would be different. It is just an opinion.

I thought that before our first cruise as well. But now we tip those that serve our kids MORE for their services! They make a huge difference on the fun my kids have, they make my life easier, and they work crazy hard!

hi i was just wondering if the rci program lets the kids sign themselves out like carnival? We have cruised carnival and last year was the first time my child was able to sign himself out (he only did it twice) we had a meeting spot and this made it convenient. Since this is our first time on rci do they do this also? Thanks

One main reason I say it is because there only one year old. I also misread the op because I thought it was 410 for 4 not 6, so that makes more since.

I see what you are saying. And I am also curious about tipping for a 1 year old. He will be sleeping in a pack-n-play, eating little ship food and not able to participate in most on-board activities.

What then? How much should I tip for him?

hi i was just wondering if the rci program lets the kids sign themselves out like carnival? We have cruised carnival and last year was the first time my child was able to sign himself out (he only did it twice) we had a meeting spot and this made it convenient. Since this is our first time on rci do they do this also? Thanks

Royal Caribbean allows kids to sign themselves out (with parental permission) starting in the 9-11 AO group.

I see what you are saying. And I am also curious about tipping for a 1 year old. He will be sleeping in a pack-n-play, eating little ship food and not able to participate in most on-board activities.

What then? How much should I tip for him?

Sorry. Just know that the majority of us will try to discourage you for reducing your tips for an infant. We all cruise (or have cruised) with infants. My kids started sailing at 7 months old. I have never reduced the tipping amount because I had an infant.

Your cabin attendant will be removing all of the diapers in the garbage. Making sure that you have an infant life vest in your cabin. And making sure that the crib (pack n play) is kept clean with clean sheets.

Archived