A Bridge to the Seven Seas - history of HAL

Iris5383

I just finished reading this book. Its a history of the first 100 years of HAL, 1873 to 1973. Its good reading and has lots of great photos. A "dam" good book. It covers immigration from Europe to Ellis Island, troop transport and bombing of HAL ships during WWI & WWII, problems during the Great Depression, and the morphing of ship travel from transportation to recreation. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, Iris. Is this a new book? Who is the author? I'd like to find it at my local book store, the Elliott Bay Book Company. Every night I dip into The Only Way to Cross, by John Maxtone-Graham, 1972. When you love history and ships, there's nothing better than a ship history book!

Thanks, Iris. Is this a new book? Who is the author? I'd like to find it at my local book store, the Elliott Bay Book Company. Every night I dip into The Only Way to Cross, by John Maxtone-Graham, 1972. When you love history and ships, there's nothing better than a ship history book!

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Seven-Seas-Dick-Schaap/dp/0679504346

Agree with the OP, great book about HAL's history for those who are interested in that sorta thing!

Mrs. Muir - no, it's an old book, published in 1973, written by two men both named Dick Schaap - one in Amsterdam and one in New York. It was mentioned in another book I just read, Burning Cold (story of the fire and sinking of the Prinsendam in 1980). I got in on ebay, $10 included shipping.

I wonder if it might be in some of the libraries on board HAL ships?

Any thanks for the hint on another book about history and ships! I'll be looking for that one, too.

Laura

I just finished reading this book. Its a history of the first 100 years of HAL, 1873 to 1973. Its good reading and has lots of great photos. A "dam" good book. It covers immigration from Europe to Ellis Island, troop transport and bombing of HAL ships during WWI & WWII, problems during the Great Depression, and the morphing of ship travel from transportation to recreation. I highly recommend it.

I noticed a book on the Volendam I believe it was the history of HAL, it was displayed in a cabinet with a retail price of 70 dollars. Is this the same book you are reading? I intended to buy it but had so much to read on the ship have left it for our next trip on the Zaandam.

Here are a couple of more really good books if you are into HAL history:

125yearsofhal.jpg

125 Years of Holland America Line

by Captain Albert Schoonderbeek and Guus Dalkmann

http://www.amazon.com/Years-Holland-America-Line-Schoonderbeek/dp/B000BY45C4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190371743&sr=8-2

11HAL06.jpg

Holland America Line “The Spotless Fleet”

Maritime Paintings by Stephen J. Card M.N.I.

http://secured.titanichistoricalsociety.org/store/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jqkocrq8

I noticed a book on the Volendam I believe it was the history of HAL, it was displayed in a cabinet with a retail price of 70 dollars. Is this the same book you are reading? I intended to buy it but had so much to read on the ship have left it for our next trip on the Zaandam.

I don't think that was the same book. This one sold for $9.95 new. There is one on ebay with a price of $45. Maybe the book you saw is one that Copper 10-8 has posted.

Copper John - thanks for all the new titles to look for. :)

You must have quite a library, based on all the information you have given on the "Your First Cruise Ship" thread. Your knowledge-sharing is appreciated! :D

Laura

Copper John - thanks for all the new titles to look for. :)

You must have quite a library, based on all the information you have given on the "Your First Cruise Ship" thread. Your knowledge-sharing is appreciated! :D

Laura

History was one of my favorite subjects in high school, Laura!:)

Here are a couple of more really good books if you are into HAL history:

125yearsofhal.jpg

125 Years of Holland America Line

by Captain Albert Schoonderbeek and Guus Dalkmann

http://www.amazon.com/Years-Holland-America-Line-Schoonderbeek/dp/B000BY45C4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190371743&sr=8-2

11HAL06.jpg

Holland America Line “The Spotless Fleet”

Maritime Paintings by Stephen J. Card M.N.I.

http://secured.titanichistoricalsociety.org/store/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jqkocrq8

Thank you " The Spotless Fleet " is the book I saw for sale on the Volendam, I will wait until next April when we are on the Zaandam to buy it. Off to the bookstore to see if I can get the other one. Again thank you history is our passion!

:):)

Archived