Hints for a Newbie who just bought an Underwater Camera

mobsterdon

I am leaving in 2 weeks and going to the Eastern Caribbean. I have only used a disposable underwater camera before. Can someone give me some pointers on how to get the best pictures? I bought the Olympus 850 sw. Thanks for your help.

I am leaving in 2 weeks and going to the Eastern Caribbean. I have only used a disposable underwater camera before. Can someone give me some pointers on how to get the best pictures? I bought the Olympus 850 sw. Thanks for your help.

Here's a few I always share:

1) get closer, then closer, then closer again. With water refraction you need to get close to get a good picture and eliminate as much water column between you and your subject.

2) if you have a manual setting capability I always shoot ISO200, F5.0, 1/90th (I have a digital camera). This is a good starting setting. As you view your pictures you will probably adjust these a bit.

3) if you don't have a strobe, consider using the automatic underwater setting if your camera has one. This adds red to the pictures which makes them more true to life.

4) I buy liquid RainX and coat the external lens glass. This eliminates water beading and air bubbles clinging to it causing circular blurs on your pictures

5) Unless you have a strobe or crystal clear water it's best to turn off the flash. A camera's internal flash is almost 100% of the time to close to the lens and particulates in the water will cause white spots (backscatter) all over your pictures. If you're going to be at depth, consider taking the blue in the pictures out with photoshop or other photo editing software. BTW, macro shots usually don't have the flash problems but up close you could overexpose your pictures. I put my hand over the flash with my fingers slightly spread to provide a defuser effect.

6) MOST IMPORTANT, remember it's just a piece of equipment, you should be comfortable with your bouyancy, situational awareness and keeping in contact with your buddy. Nothing worst than to have another diver with me with a new camera running off after a fish or suddenly realizing he's out of air. If you get in a situation where you have to drop your weights, drop your camera (you can always buy another camera but not another you).

7) Never open your enclosure between dives. Allow the camera to totally dry before exposing your camera back to the air.

8) If boat diving ask where the photo rinse bucket is. The equipment rinse bucket for masks, fins, BCDs, etc. is not the same. They usually contain chemicals to disinfect the equipment. You want fresh, clean water or skip the bucket and rinse your camera when you return from your dive.

9) If your camera has an "O" ring, clean and lubricate it each time. Don't get lazy, a flooded camera is just a 1lb weight if it gets loaded with salt water. Also if possible, get another "O" ring in case you accidently break it.

10) If possible, get to a local pool and practice before you go. I do this if I haven't dived with mine in 3-4 months. Makes all the world of difference.

11) it's a bit late but try to bone up on what fish, etc. you may see and learn their names and whether they're diver friendly or not. I use a guide called "Reef Fish Behavior, Florida, Caribbean, Bermuda". It's available at Amazon and other on-line book stores. And don't use the coral, or anything else on the bottom to steady yourself as you take a picture. :p

Hope these help, I'll post more if you want them and I can think of more them. :)

Randall

Excellent info given! Another thing I could add is:

Try to get under the fish you are trying to shoot and shoot up into the light (without flash). This will give you better pictures. It's also best to take many pictures. You can delete the bad ones.

You didn't mention an underwater case for the camera. The 850W is weather proof and will only keep water out to 10 feet.

Be sure to have the battery fully charged, with an empty media card. Be sure the card is in the camera, take and view one picture before you leave your cabin. I dove once without a card in the camera, foolish. Try to keep the camera and underwater case dry in low humidity. Use the hair dryer to warm the case up before you seal the camera in, watch out for lint or hair on the sealing O rings. Once in a while the cooler water at depth will fog the lens on the camera and soften the pictures if the humid air is in the case. Another reason to never open the case on the dive boat.

As the excellent first reply stated, the closer the better and don't lose your primary focus on the dive.

The movies can be as much fun as taking the still pictures. I notice the 850 SW has a mode for underwater movies. Nice feature.

Use the hair dryer to warm the case up before you seal the camera in, watch out for lint or hair on the sealing O rings. Once in a while the cooler water at depth will fog the lens on the camera and soften the pictures if the humid air is in the case. Another reason to never open the case on the dive boat.

I purchase small dessicant paks to put in my enclosure. No need to heat up your case and one pak will last for several dives in a week. BTW, I bought color-changing ones (blue new, lavender partial, white spent) so I know when the pak is no longer viable.

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

I have the previous model the 720sw, this has served me well for the past 2 or 3 years and I've taken it snorkelling all over the world. It is water proof to 3.0m and I don't need more than that when snorkelling!

Advise to you:

get a spare battery pack cause you'll use up the battery really quick as you keep the camera on ready for that unmissable shot.

use the underwater setting on the back (if you remember) it does make a difference

have fun!

I have been using a SW720 since it came out. Everything was great until our cruise earlier this month:(. On the first snorkel it seemed to be acting strange and I only got a couple of shots when I thought I was taking lots. Then on the next venture it powered up fine but quickly after getting it wet it apparently sprung a leak and it is now a dead duck - don't really know where the water came in - the battery seal seems fine - I always wipe the seal prior to inserting a battery/memory card to make sure there is not a particle of sand in the seal. Highly recommend the extra battery - I don't know about the new models but the SW720 eats up batteries fast - If I am doing 2 snorkeling events on one trip I always changed the battery before the second trip. Also - try the movie mode with the sound on - really neat:). Our next trip will be in Jan 2010 so will be waiting to get a new camera till closer to that trip - may try the Sealife DC800 or what ever is new out at that time.

Buy the floating wrist strap. That camera doesn't float so if you accidently drop it while snorkeling, it's going to the bottom. And with the strap, you don't have to worry about holding onto the camera all the time.

I just bought that same camera for snorkeling. It's also great for boating or anthing else where it might get splashed or wet. So far my only complaint is that the software doesn't automatically rotate portrait-oriented pictures. Also, because of the lens location, it's too easy to put your finger over the lens. I have several pictures of fingers. :)

Have a great time and take lots of pictures.

I agree about the floating wrist strap and making sure that battery is charged. Both make using this camera so much more enjoyable in the water. Just remember to always rinse the camera off of the salt. I'm addicted to the video feature of this camera too. You'll love it as others do. Have fun.

I just purchased the Olympia 1030...Tried it in the pool...make sure the "Underwater" setting is on..I was taking pictures and they were blurry...then I realized...works wonderful...its such a nice camera I still cant believe I can take it in water w/o a housing unit!!!

Kris

Just be sure to read the lil booklet you get with your camera. As they make the darn thing they can tell ya the best way to care for it. Always wash it off after the salt water. I do believe that using a hair dryer is bad as it will mess up the waterproofing on the camera itself. I know the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 I'm looking to buy says that in its booklet atleast.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, they have the Olympus 850sw in yellow!!!!

So you guys recommend this camera???

What size card should I get? 2gb is the most it will take or can I go 4?

Does it come with a card? Battery?

Thanks!

Archived