Help calling home.

We are leaving Sunday on Explorer and need to know the best way to call home. Because of family issues and a serious illness we will need to stay in touch. Should we buy phone cards before we leave? Is cell phone going to work in the Caribbean?

Do NOT buy phone cards in the U.S---they won't work to call back to the states! Wait until you get to a port, buy the international card there, and use a pay phone, for the most cost effective calling.

Or, use the ship's e-mail---$.55 per min or less, if you buy a "package" of mins.

Or, just use your cell--it will cost, but it may be worth the "peace of mind".

Or, give your family/business the phone number to the ship---if there's an emergency, they can call you! No news is good news!

Who is your wireless provider?

Ours is AT&T. We had to make sure the 'international calling' was turned on before we cruised, they should be able to tell over the phone by looking at your account.

They have the rates, even for each ship, listed on their website.

Make sure you know ahead what the rates are going to be. I have att and I called home from Nassau and a 5 minute call ended up being about $23. I didn't even think about it being International. I just saw "Cellular At Sea" and got excited that my phone worked. LOL :rolleyes:

Who is your wireless provider?

Ours is AT&T. We had to make sure the 'international calling' was turned on before we cruised, they should be able to tell over the phone by looking at your account.

They have the rates, even for each ship, listed on their website.

We have T Mobile. I will look it up. Boy am I glad I asked. DH thought we should buy them here.

Make sure you know ahead what the rates are going to be. I have att and I called home from Nassau and a 5 minute call ended up being about $23. I didn't even think about it being International. I just saw "Cellular At Sea" and got excited that my phone worked. LOL :rolleyes:

I think if you saw 'cellular at sea' you were being charged the ships rates. They usually turn their signal off (or whatever the technical term is:rolleyes:) when they are in port. We found that all of the ports we were at had cheaper rates than the ship. Of course, San Juan is included as U.S. so make your calls while there if you can!!!

Do NOT buy phone cards in the U.S---they won't work to call back to the states! Wait until you get to a port, buy the international card there, and use a pay phone, for the most cost effective calling.

Or, use the ship's e-mail---$.55 per min or less, if you buy a "package" of mins.

Or, just use your cell--it will cost, but it may be worth the "peace of mind".

Or, give your family/business the phone number to the ship---if there's an emergency, they can call you! No news is good news!

Is the number in our docs?

Yes, the emergency number should be in your docs but here it is for you so you don't have to go searching for it:

Your friends and family can contact the ship by calling (888) 724-SHIP. Or from outside the U.S. they can call (732) 335-3285. The cost is $7.95 USD a minute and can be charged to their American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, Discover® or Diners Club®. From outside the U.S. additional long distance charges will also apply.

I think if you saw 'cellular at sea' you were being charged the ships rates. They usually turn their signal off (or whatever the technical term is:rolleyes:) when they are in port. We found that all of the ports we were at had cheaper rates than the ship. Of course, San Juan is included as U.S. so make your calls while there if you can!!!

Thats great to know. San Juan is our first port.

Yes, the emergency number should be in your docs but here it is for you so you don't have to go searching for it:

Your friends and family can contact the ship by calling (888) 724-SHIP. Or from outside the U.S. they can call (732) 335-3285. The cost is $7.95 USD a minute and can be charged to their American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, Discover® or Diners Club®. From outside the U.S. additional long distance charges will also apply.

Thank You.

Here is the T-mobile international roaming webpage.

http://www.t-mobile.com/International/RoamingOverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide

If you do decide to look into this option make sure you inquire about international roaming NOT international calling. You are 'roaming' with your phone, you do not want to call an international location from the US.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!! :)

One small suggestion for you, for updates while on the ship, set up times that you agree to check your email. For example, tell them you will check your email at 7am and 7pm each day, that way for non-emergency updates they can rely on the fact that you will get the information relatively quickly. If you setup the times in advance, they could know to stay by the computer to respond to you if you need more information.

Here is the T-mobile international roaming webpage.

http://www.t-mobile.com/International/RoamingOverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide

If you do decide to look into this option make sure you inquire about international roaming NOT international calling. You are 'roaming' with your phone, you do not want to call an international location from the US.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!! :)

Great, I looked them up. $1.49 on the Islands I could find. $4.99 from the ship. I will only use that for an emergency.

Thanks again.

Joni -

I will be on your ship - and will be carrying my blackberry with me (don't tell Alex - never completely get away from work!). You are welcome to give them my e-mail if you want and we can meet up for you to check for free. My e-mail is kimba_fiore@yahoo.com. I also have international service which I use all the time because my boss is based in Europe so if you get in a pinch you are welcome to use my phone.

Joni -

I will be on your ship - and will be carrying my blackberry with me (don't tell Alex - never completely get away from work!). You are welcome to give them my e-mail if you want and we can meet up for you to check for free. My e-mail is kimba_fiore@yahoo.com. I also have international service which I use all the time because my boss is based in Europe so if you get in a pinch you are welcome to use my phone.

Thank You Kim. I will only give it to her dad to use in and emergency. Do you know how the internet packages work? Here we are leaving on Sunday and I never paid attention to this info thinking I wouldn't need it. Mike and Linda are also taking a laptop.

Do you have text messaging? I know when we were on AOS in November I stayed in contact with my son by texting. We have Verizon so I don't know what TMobile has for texting. It cost $.50 to send and receive. When we were on Princess we had TMobile and we weren't to savvy on roaming charges and ended up with a bill of $800. Ouch. Also it is a lot cheaper on the islands than it is on the ship.

Do you have text messaging? I know when we were on AOS in November I stayed in contact with my son by texting. We have Verizon so I don't know what TMobile has for texting. It cost $.50 to send and receive. When we were on Princess we had TMobile and we weren't to savvy on roaming charges and ended up with a bill of $800. Ouch. Also it is a lot cheaper on the islands than it is on the ship.

We do, but I have no clue how to use it. Maybe it's about time I had the kids give us a lesson.

800 WOW. That does hurt

Thank You Kim. I will only give it to her dad to use in and emergency. Do you know how the internet packages work? Here we are leaving on Sunday and I never paid attention to this info thinking I wouldn't need it. Mike and Linda are also taking a laptop.

You can buy different packages of minutes and there is a coupon if you are C&A that offsets part of it. In the past I have spent about $15 to periodically stay connected. Be careful with texting - sometimes it carries high roaming charges.

You can buy different packages of minutes and there is a coupon if you are C&A that offsets part of it. In the past I have spent about $15 to periodically stay connected. Be careful with texting - sometimes it carries high roaming charges.

Boy Kim, I have a lot to learn. Never thought this stuff would be useful to me. Thought it was for the kids.

Joni

Archived