Royal Champions

Admin

Ever step in something without realizing it and can't quite figure out where that smell is coming from? Well since CC and RCCL stepped in it big time, I can imagine that all week CC and RCCL have been scraping the bottoms of their shoes and wondering what that smell is.

Google "Royal Caribbean Viral Marketing" and see what pops up. Here's just one example:

"The key to success in viral marketing is to subtly influence the influencers without them overtly realizing they are being influenced," Royal Caribbean's manager for loyalty marketing, Rachel Hannock, told the audience, according to a blog on loyalty marketing written by the Customer Insight Group.

The Customer Insight Group blog quotes Hannock as saying the Royal Champions "are regularly leveraged for ongoing marketing initiatives" and "produce ample word of mouth and exert sufficient influence to make the investment worthwhile."

The blog also quotes Hannock as saying online posts from Royal Champions "are carefully monitored during events and on a regular basis to ensure that posts remain positive and frequent."

In an interview with USA TODAY this week, Royal Caribbean associate vice president Bill Hayden acknowledged that the Royal Champions exist and have been getting perks from the line including invitations to free, two-night preview cruises. "

Champs or chumps, you be the judge? Either way, my faith in both CC and RCCL has been shaken.

What a mess Cruise Critic and Royal Caribbean have created. So much for editorial integrity.

Wow, knowing a minor was used in viral marketing takes this program to a new low.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20041102005471&newsLang=en

Especially if the cruise was on a school day and the child attended during a school day. In my state that is against the law to miss school if you are under age 16.

WOW, thanks for that link -- bookmarked.

"Dr. Walsh said unethical tactics employed by these firms inherently teach minors lessons of deception and dishonesty."

inherently or subtly?

I do know of the new youth campaign by RCCL, that is loyality based via the parent's cruising, and not a viral marketing campaign -- wonder if there is a grand design beyond Johny screaming -- but mom, Royal Caribbean gives me such cool freebies!

Jaxon -- Viralated Royal Chump charter member

Just reading your response leaves me in no doubt that the carefully crafted report was not of your making. You clearly lack the ability to actually punctuate & capitalise that you displayed in the earlier report.

I am cruising RCCL for the first time in April and I am already apprehensive about this cruise as a result of reading many different blogs about RCCL customer focus.

I expect that the facilities will be just great but any requests made to "Guest Relations" will be met with either disdain or a protracted debate for the remainder of the cruise. The RCCL website does not show any additional packages that I have purchased and it definitely does not show an OBC for the fuel surcharge that was removed after I paid the final amount.

I just know that I am going to be wasting a lot of my time at the Purser's desk arguing for what I am entitled to and, I have seen that re-iterated on many other sites.

CC needs to review their stance with regard to what can be included in posts. I do not suggest that they allow open advertising (they clearly carry adverts) but let people freely discuss WHO does and WHO does not provide a good deal when booking a cruise. After all, what does "critic" stand for when you are shackled by what you may or may not say.

I would not worry the ship seems immune to the marketing tactics that corporate imposed. Since you are a Diamond member you won't be exposed to the RC unless you have booked a suite.

Most often we have no issues therefore do not have to use the Purser and have found them helpful when we did need them.

But what do I know I am a Royal Chump ? Have an excellent cruise. Like my better half has said, the people on board are have working and want you to have a great cruise.

What does the first thing that you mentioned have to do with the second? Find a 7 day cruise during ANY week of the year that doesn't have kids under 16 on it.

OB, see you are never going to get anywhere with these folks because you are using logic and common sense. These people just have rage. They have been given an oppurtunity to be a group of haters with pitchforks and torches and they won't be happy until they burn the castle down.

It is fascinating to watch. It is, also, completely predictable which ones would join in.

jc

Its ok jc there was a reason for me checking - you must stop watching those horror films lol

jj.......

I am sure that there was, because nothing anyone posts with factual information seems to matter to you. I am sure you are trying to trick somebody into a faux paus to show how evil they are.

lol<--- doesn't mean what it used too.

jc

Yes, that too. Or refer to certain executives by their first names only....

By the way, when the next free cruises are handed out...I think we should lobby RCCL to provide an equal number to the Royal Chumps as well as their Royal CHAMPS. Why should we be discriminated against because we lack viral marketing skills?

good thought -- then they can influence the influencers influencees.

Jaxon -- viralated Royal Chump charter member

Sorry, I don't buy the dumb act. I have explained this several times. Out of say 3000 people 50 of them might have been RCs on that first inaugural. Why are you (the pitchfork torch waving mob from the original Frankenstein movie) only interested in the RCs, the media, the travel agents, the shareholders, are not required to have this transparency? Why just the Royal Champions?

Sorry, I find nothing here but pettiness and nastiness.

jc

You mean this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McEUmsMXUrg

The RCs have been effected me. I am have and will continue to explore other cruise lines.

This chump which I feel like drinking the RCCL koolaid and spent thousands and thousands of dollars exclusively without research other cruise lines.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/

At least I feel I have found a group to join, the Royal Chumps which out number the Royal Champs. Did someone say there is power with numbers

I would like to address the issue of transparency and responsibility

for disclosure that has come up a number of times in this thread.

Some have requested that Cruise Critic have a formal policy requiring

RC’s to identify themselves as such. While we can encourage members

to disclose their affiliations, it’s impossible for us to require

it. We are operating an anonymous online community and there’s no

way for us to verify that anyone is who they say they are or aren’t.

Many of those who identify themselves as Royal Champions, have been

doing so since they were first called that, in their signatures on

the Cruise Critic message boards. To my knowledge they never tried

to hide it, and in fact were pretty open about it.

Was it the RC’s responsibility to disclose that they were part of a

viral marketing program? Based on what I have read on the Cruise

Critic boards, I don’t think the RC’s knew they were part of a viral

marketing program until the recent articles in question came out. I

also don’t think they were told to do anything specifically on Cruise

Critic. Nor do I think Royal Caribbean had or has any control over

what they say here.

Was it Cruise Critic’s responsibility to disclose what Royal

Caribbean was doing with its Royal Champion’s program? Royal

Caribbean isn’t in the habit of sharing all of the details of its

marketing programs with Cruise Critic. When Bill Hayden first

contacted us two years ago, it was in regards to forwarding an

invitation to some Cruise Critic members they wanted to invite on the

Liberty of the Seas pre-inaugural sailing. There was no mention of a

Royal Champions viral marketing program at that time. Most of what

we know about the program, we have learned here on the Cruise Critic

boards.

Contrary to what some of you may believe, we have never tried to

censor discussions about Royal Champions on the Cruise Critic message

boards. If you search the boards you will find thousands of threads

with that term in them. When this recent debate started there were

multiple threads containing personal attacks and copyrighted material

in them and our staff was overwhelmed. We also believe most people

come here to discuss cruise advice, not Royal Caribbean’s marketing

programs, hence the sticky.

Overall, it is my personal opinion that the Cruise Critic members who

identify themselves as Royal Champions love to share their cruise

experiences and are some of the most helpful and candid members of

Cruise Critic. I think they give great advice and will tell you

candidly what they like as well as what they don't like. They did so

before they were chosen to be a Royal Champion. And they continued

to do so after they were chosen. I want to thank them for their

contributions over the years to the Cruise Critic community and I am

deeply saddened by some of the things that have been said here about

them.

Some of us would like to go back to talking about cruises. While I

would like to think this discussion has run its course, I know that

some of you will want to continue to debate it. We are going to

rename this thread shortly and unsticky it. Just wanted to let you

know ahead of time so you don’t think it’s been censored!

Kathleen Tucker

Publisher

Cruise Critic

Yep. The same old champions.

Just for the record, I am not a Royal Champion.

That said, the Royal Champions that I know are the best resource for planning a cruise on Royal Caribbean that there is. If people want to hurt themselves by driving the RCs away I find that crazy and sad.

Truly this is the biggest joke of a conspiracy in the history of conspiracies.

jc

I think this link was the most valuable link.

One person says this, the other says this and tries to cover for the first person. Interesting....

I find it absolutely fascinating that this issue has so many pages and posts when it could be solved so easily.

I am not sure but when I join anything I usually asked what it is for. The one thing none of the RCs ever came up with is why do the RCs exist in the first place. That is the entire question which was asked from the beginning. Just why?

What are the requirements? What about the charter members? Wouldn't you know as a charter member why you are a charter member of something you should know about?

There is over 50 RCers and nobody knows a thing. Some say because we are long time cruisers which has been rebutted. Some say because of our posting history which has been rebutted. Some say we get nothing in compensation or benefit yet in the article the word "perks" was mentioned.

I tell you why nobody is saying a word on how most became RCers or so called 'charter members'. Because there would be a whole lot of embarrassement on part of RCI and some RCers especially here on CC. Since there is no common denominater amongst the RCers, not one, it is a 'friend picks friend' program using RCI as a 'donor'. RCI may not have been aware of that. I doubt that a man like Mr Goldstein really knows all the details. His job is to bark orders and have the right people execute such. His order or one of his marketing team order was simple: find me a group of cruisers for marketing purposes.

Unfortunately as human behavior is it may have just been spiraling out of control. It would be a tremendous embarrassement for RCI and RCers if one has to stand up and say "yes, we pick our friends." RCI has to admit the failure of a marketing ploy and let it go on and some RCers who thought they were invited by RCI as an honor have their dreams squashed of being an important person.

So, RCers or all of you who have signed up: what is the common denominater amongs all of you? Are you all diamond plus? do you all have 5k or 10k posts? did you all always talk positive about RCI all the time?

If you could answer just the reason 'why' the discussion ends immediately. I bet you.

Initially it really didn't affect me much since I never had the desire to be an RC nor do I get hot flashes being invited to a pre-inaug or meet any RCI official. I guess my life is or was quite a bit too interesting to get my panties in a wad over stuff like that.

But all this sarcasm coming out of one corner and not being able to answer a very simple question sparked my curiousity. Because at one point it was a marketing ploy. And at one point it turned into a 'friend picks friend' kinda thing. I am now curious who really picks RCs and how the decision is being made and who is involved.

I'd love to out this person or these people who do not have the guts to step up to the plate and say "here is the deal....". They are now protecting themselves and leaving the average RCer AND RCI high and dry.

They are hurting the very business they are supposed to support.

Oliver, you just made a whole bunch of statements that you have absolutely no proof of. Where did you come up with this? The friends picking friends bit. Didn't some marketing company pick these based on some computer program analysis? That was the way I thought it happened when this stupid debate began.

Facts really are needed and not tin foil hat imagination. JMHO.

jc<---- wants those who think they can bully me into silence that they don't know me very well.

Wow, the debate has moved over to the USA Today article............

Wow, you are famous congratulations.:rolleyes:

I am so glad you are all learning that the news is actually viral.:rolleyes: Truth is not nearly as much fun as a bunch of people feeding off of each other's paranoia.

jc

What a mess Cruise Critic and Royal Caribbean have created. So much for editorial integrity.

Boy, it's hard to put someone on ignore -- all that finding the right page, then having to write down the screen name and back and forth and back and forth. On other boards I frequent there is just a drop down on the posting page under someone's screen name to use. And if you wanted to let them know that they were going to the ash can for all their nasty pitch forks, you'd have to undo it and then do it all over again.

To the 10,000 post folks -- I know very well I put someone on ignore for the same thing on the mega fuel surcharge thread, but when I checked my ignore list, no one was there. In fact, I am fairly confident, but not absolutely sure, it was the same person. So the question is -- if a thread is deleted, like the mega fuel surcharge thread, do all your ignorees get deleted, also?

Sorry for using your post, oysterdam, to say this, but it was just beneath the pitch fork person accusing us of trying to burn down the castle.

Have to boogie -- time to go to a birthday party.

Jaxon -- viralated Royal Chump, Charter member

Since I see Ms Tucker is here, I am sure she will answer my question because she has been deeply saddened by some of the things that have been said here.

While we can encourage members to disclose their affiliations

But sure Kathleen you know the members who were picked by RCCL - just highlight them to bring impartiality back to the boards.

I don’t think the RC’s knew they were part of a viral marketing program until the recent articles in question came out.

Did they just think they'd won the lottery when they were asked to join pre-inaugural sailings ?

marketing programs with Cruise Critic.

YES it was CC responsibility to disclose what Royal Caribbean was doing with its Royal Champion’s program to show there was impartiality on the boards

Didn't CC think to ask why RCCL wanted members details - or are you saying RCCL refused to reveal all the details ?

I want to thank them for their

them.

Well i think that somes it up - NOT a Mention OF THE THOUSANDS of other members that provide contributions to this site !!

Thanks Kathleen

jj........

I am sure that there was, because nothing anyone posts with factual information seems to matter to you. I am sure you are trying to trick somebody into a faux paus to show how evil they are.

lol<--- doesn't mean what it used too.

jc

Please don't be afraid. Marketing studies have shown none of us Chumps have the viral marketing skills to "trick" (as you say) anyone into anything. We are a group of folks , easily influenced by anyone with special titles (or Internet letter sweaters)...not a pitchfork or match among us.

If encountered in a deck chair by the pool, any Champ worth his salt could convince the likes of us to surrender it to him. We defer to our betters quite easily. That's why we are Chumps. That's why the Champs get occassional perks...to work their wiles on us.

We understand now that certain people know better than we do how we should spend our vacation dollar, and what line we should frequent...we are simply here to read, listen and learn from the Chosen..Marketing studies show we are sheep.

On threads dealing with the most crucial, earth-shattering issues of our time here on this globe...like formal attire, smoking or kids in Portofino's...we know better than to post. Chumps will just do as the important folks THINK we should.

Yes, occasionally, if our cruise has been ruined by a wet rug, cabin odor, or a clanging door that prevents sleep, we may make a negative post in the stupidness of our disappointment...but happily a Champ ususally appears to remind us we are darned lucky RCCL took our money and let us on Board. As for compensation for any of the above...horrors!...that shows we chumps wallow in crass greediness. (Not gonna ever be any special invitation for YOU, Silly complaining Chump.)

I post to offer reassurance. The "castle" you so cherish is quite safe from the Chumps...really.

what they say here.

boards.

them.

Kathleen Tucker

Publisher

Cruise Critic

Thank You Kathleen :D

what they say here.

boards.

them.

Kathleen Tucker

Publisher

Cruise Critic

Kathleen,

Personal opinion is just not going to cut it. You are speaking on behalf of CC and you should be providing the CC response, not personal opinion.

CC has a problem here. It may be 'perceived', but then again, it may be real.

Please provide a CC answer rather than an opinion, you manage the site - we are here to provide opinions.

More opinions available if required.

Please don't be afraid. Marketing studies have shown none of us Chumps have the viral marketing skills to "trick" (as you say) anyone into anything. We are a group of folks , easily influenced by anyone with special titles (or Internet letter sweaters)...not a pitchfork or match among us.

If encountered in a deck chair by the pool, any Champ worth his salt could convince the likes of us to surrender it to him. We defer to our betters quite easily. That's why we are Chumps. That's why the Champs get occassional perks...to work their wiles on us.

We understand now that certain people know better than we do how we should spend our vacation dollar, and what line we should frequent...we are simply here to read, listen and learn from the Chosen..Marketing studies show we are sheep.

On threads dealing with the most crucial, earth-shattering issues of our time here on this globe...like formal attire, smoking or kids in Portofino's...we know better than to post. Chumps will just do as the important folks THINK we should.

Yes, occasionally, if our cruise has been ruined by a wet rug, cabin odor, or a clanging door that prevents sleep, we may make a negative post in the stupidness of our disappointment...but happily a Champ ususally appears to remind us we are darned lucky RCCL took our money and let us on Board. As for compensation for any of the above...horrors!...that shows we chumps wallow in crass greediness. (Not gonna ever be any special invitation for YOU, Silly complaining Chump.)

I post to offer reassurance. The "castle" you so cherish is quite safe from the Chumps...really.

1 I was replying to JJ... who I know exactly what sea lawyer trick he is doing and not to you.

Other than that your post was simply snarky and pointless, thanks for demonstrating the level of childishness to which this thread has degenerated.

jc<--- is not afraid of the mob

what they say here.

boards.

them.

Kathleen Tucker

Publisher

Cruise Critic

Ms. Tucker, Am I correct that only CC and RCCL know the full roster of Royal Champions? CC had first contact and RCCL chose them...yet the rest of your many, many posters do NOT know?

In light of the recent admissions by Marketing...of "influencing" these Champs "subtly"...of using these folks to influence US...and monitoring them here for content and frequency...there is a discomfort that this is going on and the vast majority of us here are THE SUBJECTS OF THE PROGRAM...yet unaware who is IN IT.

Respectfully, I think you might also regret how your other NON-CHAMP posters were treated as well. You have read the threads. Some of the comments sent our way were beyond rude and even beyond ludicrous. Are we less valuable to your Board than these special posters?

So you are being "brainwashed" by the RC's??

Archived