Royal Champions

Admin

Now, since I was aware of this program from the very beginning and somewhat involved, I will happy to share what I know to be the facts:

1. I was contacted by Royal Caribbean in early 2007 and was asked to send them emails of certain members who they were interested in contacting. Of course, since I will NOT share your email addresses, they had no choice but to ask me to contact these members with the information about this program. was told that Buzz Metrics, a subsidiary of Neilsen Ratings System, had earmarked about 50 people on the internet whose existing participating had been positive and enthusiastic about their cruises on Royal Caribbean. Of the 50, 40 were Cruise Critic members which makes sense since our community is so large.

Laura

I do not see where this states that CC gave out email addresses of CC members???

I'm glad I could bring a laugh to your day.

I know exactly what a rhetorical question is and this was not one of them. I truly did not know the answer so I asked the question.

But it is telling that 2 members of the RCI/Celebrity charter came out to attack me for asking my question. :rolleyes:

OK you truly though anyone could write to a mod at CC and the mod would pass along whatever you wanted to pass to them?

I knew the answer to the question, so I thought you would know, sorry. OK for the record, if you just wanted to contact one person, most people here would ask for a email in a post and talk that way between two CC members. I have seen it, they dont contact the mod to pass a person message. Thats why I have my email in my profile.

As a reminder, please review the board guidelines. Discussions about board moderation will be removed. Questions should be directed to boards@cruisecritic.com or community@cruisecritic.com. Unwanted comments directed to other members is not allowed. Disruptive posts are not allowed. Lastly, profanity, in any form is not allowed. The board guidelines are easily accessed in the navigation bar second from the top of your screen. And as always you can check out the help board if needed.

I do not see where this states that CC gave out email addresses of CC members???

I thought I read that they contacted the members asking for permission to send RCI the e-mail addresses, at least that's what I thought I read.:confused:

"Well, it appears to be the strategy, to respond to something that is not the issue but to pretend it is, with some of the folks here, which I include some hosts and admin in the pot also. "

"Where were you all night, George?"

"Mary, how many times do I have to tell you I did not throw out the newspaper."

Something like that....

Yes, the "answers" are to questions no one is asking. The questions WE ARE asking are avoided over and over. We believe you "did not throw out the newspaper." Answer the questions please that we are asking. This IS the business and rightful concern of anyone who uses and trusts this Board.

The full remarks of the RCCL Loyalty Manager at that conference should be posted here so we can understand the strategy that was deployed on CC without the knowledge of CC management or of the posters and readers here...in all its dimensions. Why lose trust...of RCCL or CC...when it is unnecessary. Level with people and the steam will go out of this.

Just a question - for some of the folks who are rabid RC - did you miss your meds this week?

I'm sorry if anyone feels insulted by my question, but this whole full scale attack mode doesn't make any sense to me. If you are all that upset and disgusted with the posters who are anti RC's, and even the Moon Pies, along with being upset with individual posters, critical threads, or even Moderators and the direction the sun sets in early Spring - you need to find another way to expend your energies, because you're really annoying.

Thank you, I'll take my soap box home now.

CruisinMike walks away shaking his head at the strangeness of the world around him.

I thought I read that they contacted the members asking for permission to send RCI the e-mail addresses, at least that's what I thought I read.:confused:

Yes, I believe they protected Email addresses and did all in proper form.

.............At one point in this thread I had been thanked by an RC member for speaking up against someone I felt was being unreasonable to the RCers in general. At another, I was told I was spreading misinformation. As I said to the RC person then, it's easy to say someone is reasonable when they are on the same side of the fence you are. It's tougher to define reasonable when the person is on the other side of the fence.

One thing I feel so greatful for, and do thank the Lord, that my diversification allows me to make people on both sides of the fence equally happy and upset with me.

Yes, I believe they protected Email addresses and did all in proper form.

Regardless of whether CC gave out the email addresses, or contacted the members directly on RCI's behalf, the fact is they were involved as the middle-man. Obviously CC and Royal Caribbean (and other cruise lines I'm sure) have some sort of partnership, so RCI felt they could come to CC for assistance. I think CC should have declined any involvement but they did not and the rest is history.

Ernie

OK you truly though anyone could write to a mod at CC and the mod would pass along whatever you wanted to pass to them?

I knew the answer to the question, so I thought you would know, sorry. OK for the record, if you just wanted to contact one person, most people here would ask for a email in a post and talk that way between two CC members. I have seen it, they dont contact the mod to pass a person message. Thats why I have my email in my profile.

Apology accepted and no hard feelings. :) I only asked the question because they did it for RCI and I didn't know if they would do it for members too.

As for listing my email in my profile, I put it there when I first joined CC. After receiving a couple not-so-nice emails from posters here, I removed it.

Apology accepted and no hard feelings. :) I only asked the question because they did it for RCI and I didn't know if they would do it for members too.

As for listing my email in my profile' date=' I put it there when I first joined CC. After receiving a couple not-so-nice emails from posters here, I removed it. [/color']

Do you share email addresses on the other cruise board you "guide" on?

As for listing my email in my profile' date=' I put it there when I first joined CC. After receiving a couple not-so-nice emails from posters here, I removed it. [/quote']

Wow. Sorry that happened to you. I don't think anyone deserves such email.

I have no idea because I am not an Administrator or a Steward and they are the ones who handle all of that. Guides just help people find the info they are looking for. But you can use the "private message" function there so there would be really no reason to ask the Administrators or Stewards. And I can tell you I don't share my email address on ANY board I belong to. :)

O NO! Not another cruise forum plant.

Gee, I wonder who benefits if CC suffers.

jc<---- who does what is right not what is in his self-interest, trust me on this.:D

jc<---- who does what is right not what is in his self-interest, trust me on this.:D

Yup. Quite a discussion going on over there as well. Frubals, and all. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by LauraS

Now, since I was aware of this program from the very beginning and somewhat involved, I will happy to share what I know to be the facts:

1. I was contacted by Royal Caribbean in early 2007 and was asked to send them emails of certain members who they were interested in contacting. Of course, since I will NOT share your email addresses, they had no choice but to ask me to contact these members with the information about this program. was told that Buzz Metrics, a subsidiary of Neilsen Ratings System, had earmarked about 50 people on the internet whose existing participating had been positive and enthusiastic about their cruises on Royal Caribbean. Of the 50, 40 were Cruise Critic members which makes sense since our community is so large.

Now, am I confused here? Isn't LauraS one of the CC admin at some level or another? If so, how can there be a question as to whether or not CC, at least at some level, was aware from the beginning of this program?

PLANT??? You have got to be kidding me!! LOL You might want to notice how long I have been a member here and how many posts I have.

The only reason I have followed this thread is because I majored in sales and marketing and I am enjoying reading all the different views on this subject.

It has NOTHING to do with the fact that I also belong to another cruise forum. And I know for a fact that I'm not the only person who has posted on this thread, that is also a member of another forum or two.

You can believe me or not but it really won't make a difference to me one way or another. :)

xpcdoojk is a member of at least one other cruise forum as well. Does this matter? No, it's idiotic to think that there are "plants" here trying to recruit or spread disinformation.

This is internet forum. People talk, make friends who share a common interest, share pictures, whatever. There really aren't any earth-shattering revelations to be found here.

Has it occured to you that maybe this lack of offense that you keep trying to bring out might have something to do with the fact that no matter what this marketing company, or RCI, or whoever, thinks that they may have accomplished I just keep right on going posting exactly what I think just like I have done since joining this community?

When I get back from Adventure next week I will most likely write some positive thoughts on these boards if the cruise lives up to my expectations. If it is a bad week I most likey will post some comments comparing this cruise to my past cruises in an attempt to convey where the down falls were.

Offense. You have got to be kidding me. I have way to many things to deal with in the course of a day than to feel offended over this topic. Lets get real.

OB...thats not a realistic response to after all this brouhaha IMHO. We all have many things to deal with in our daily lives. Unless you want to suggest that by virtue of your profession you earned a particular right. :rolleyes:

What makes you so sure CC was not aware? After all Royal Caribbean approached them asking for email addresses, and they played the middle man and provided those email addresses. Don't you think CC questioned why? Of course they did. I'm sure the term "Royal Champion" was brought up, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together and figure how the term would be applied.

Besides, CC can't be too furious at Royal Caribbean. Who do you think supports a good amount of the advertising on CC? They are partners in a sense.

Ernie

Check the box for sanity.

xpcdoojk is a member of at least one other cruise forum as well. Does this matter? No, it's idiotic to think that there are "plants" here trying to recruit or spread disinformation.

This is internet forum. People talk, make friends who share a common interest, share pictures, whatever. There really aren't any earth-shattering revelations to be found here.

jc has been here since the pryamids....he's for real.

Except for the idea that CC has assisted in the development of the RC program an other message board sites have not...as afar as we know.;)

No matter what happens here on CC...this whole "experiment" should be the basis on a Marketing Class one day.

What a sorry mess! I don't know what RCCL thinks they are going to do with their "viral marketing" program now...but displaying the signature "Member...Royal Champion"... now that we all are privy to the strategy and motivations behind it...is about as prestigious and "influential" as posting "Member ...Sam's Club."

Whether I am posting here or just reading...it will be fascinating to watch the follow-up.

Archived