Vila markets

help please...

is there only 2 sets of markets in vila, the one at the beggining of the main street under the shelter thingy, and the one where the ship docks or is there another set of markets??

michelle

hi michelle, there is 3 markets in town, one is at the dock another one on the waterfont just off the main street in town and they have the fruit & vege one in the main steet but unless you eat the fruit in town its no good as you cant bring fruit onboard

rkmw

Hi Michelle, Museum! didn't know there was a museum. Markets have been there for quite some time. There is also the indoor 'market' not far from the big one on the waters edge. That has a few different clothing items there. There are lots of hand painted shirts, kids clothes etc.

Kerri

i dont now how big the museum is or even how obvious it is. i know the fruit/veg market on the main street has been there forever, but i fpound some info through google which suggested the indoor markets had been moved outdoors under huts on the waterfront near the museum and are now called the"womens markets , but any info i can find thru google is very vague and i cant seem to find anything that points to it definately being there and and i have seen some photos on some of the photo sharing sites that show markets that i have not seen in vila.

this makes me wonder if the 3rd set of markets are new, as we were in vila 2 yrs ago and didn't see or hear about them then.

michelle

We were there last Oct and they were still indoors as well as having the outside ones. So you have the one at the dock, the vegie one which many years ago also had some jewlery tables but I don't think so now, the one by the waters edge which is quite large and the one indoors. The indoor one wasn't there when we first cruised in 02, 03. It get very hot in there also!!

Hi cruisekids009,

Were you on Norwegian Star when she left from newcastle as we were on that one just curious??

our cruise on norweigian star left from sydney, I'm pretty sure it would have been mid 2000. i think the ports were vila, noumea, there was a beach that could have been champagne bay,lifou & we were supposed to stop at honiara in the solomons, but there was political troubles the itenarary finished up in cairns with a flight back to sydney. it was back in the day were you could buy as much alcohol duty free in vila as you wanted, drink as much of it as you could onboard then bring your allowance back in. as a result i dont remember a lot of the details....

(probably shouldn't admit to that, but we were young!)

Archived