Best view of Mendenhall? Which trail?

mountainhouse

Mendenhall Glacier Up Close and Personal

The huge Mendenhall Glacier is unique in that it is the lone glacier located within the limits of any city in North America.

Busses leave from the Juneau cruise ship docks for the glacier throughout the day, departing every half hour. Keep an eye out for busses labeled "Mendenhall Glacier Express". They are generally old school busses painted blue, and their fares are only about $5 each way. These busses take you directly to the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center. To be on the safe side, ask your bus driver to confirm the schedule for the return busses to the docks.

Starting at the visitor center, you can take a short hike to the pond in front of the glacier. This might well be the closest you will ever get to a glacier, and it is a great spot for photo ops.

You then have a number of wonderful different hikes to pick from, most of which start at the visitor center. If you are in pretty good shape and you have enough time, consider the East Glacier trail. This trail runs approximately three and a half miles in length and takes you through dense rainforest, past roaring waterfalls, and it affords you jaw-dropping views of the glacier from above.

If you are short on time, consider taking in the view from the tramway terminal, then skipping the hike atop Mt. Roberts. Then head to Mendenhall glacier for the above East Glacier trail hike – it is arguably the best short hike in Juneau.

May I ask, please, if Mendenhall Lake is right at the same spot? I'm trying to decide whether to arrange for a rafting excursion on the Lake, but I'm interested only if one sees the Glacier as well. Thank you and apologies for jumping in.

Which hike would you suggest for a family with 2 boys 7 & 9 years. We are all athletic but the kids do tend to complain after a while:). Maybe a short - medium hike w/ lots to see?

Thank you!

The East Glacier Trail won't give you a lot of views of the glacier, at least until you've hiked a while. That one shot in the first link is the same spot as the second link. There's one opening in the trees at about a mile, and then you slog onward.

I enjoy the trail--it gives you a great chance to get back into the rainforest, see the many creeks and waterfalls. But it's a steady, continuous climb and doesn't give the endless glacier views that I think many people want.

The West Glacier Trail has a few more views, but requires wheels to get to the trailhead. Both trails are hampered by the fact that we have a lot, a lot of trees here, which grow most vigorously right where we want to look at something.

The East Glacier Trail won't give you a lot of views of the glacier, at least until you've hiked a while. That one shot in the first link is the same spot as the second link. There's one opening in the trees at about a mile, and then you slog onward.

I enjoy the trail--it gives you a great chance to get back into the rainforest, see the many creeks and waterfalls. But it's a steady, continuous climb and doesn't give the endless glacier views that I think many people want.

The West Glacier Trail has a few more views, but requires wheels to get to the trailhead. Both trails are hampered by the fact that we have a lot, a lot of trees here, which grow most vigorously right where we want to look at something.

How long would we have to hike on the East Trail to get to some waterfalls and streams and into the rainforest? That sounds good. We'll see the glacier from the Visitor Center unless you can suggest another look out point that is walkable.

Thanks again!

The trailhead is sort of weird, because you go around the visitors center on this stairwell, or if you've toured the center, go out the back door. If you don't notice the signs, there's always a ranger hanging around to ask questions.

The first part is called Trail of Time, a short loop that gets you back into the brush. The East Glacier Trail goes off of that--it's sign-posted. From then on, you're back in the rainforest. After that lookout from the photos, about a mile up the trail, there's a short spur that goes to A.J. Falls.

Oooo...I found some fantastic pics from the trail. http://www.pbase.com/asctull/alaska_2004

If you keep going, there's another outlook and views of the Nugget Creek that feeds the huge falls visible from the visitors center. I've never completed East Glacier Trail as a loop, but it can be done in about three hours.

I've run into tourists worried about making it back in time, so if that's a concern, I wouldn't try the loop, but just be aware of when you start and turn back half way through your time allowed.

To expand on Tee Harbor, the East Loop trail is a VERY POOR choice for glacier viewing, essentially you get a few minute view, about it. It's all wooded. I like taking the first trailhead, which is the switchback, then take the stairs down. You need to allow several hours, and then some if you also add the Nugget Creek trail, which is uphill on the return, then the stairs. :) The Interpretive trail is good, be sure to pick up a guide sheet, will enhance the walk.

For the most glacier view, it's the short Photo Point trail, easy and short, doable by most.

May I ask, please, if Mendenhall Lake is right at the same spot? I'm trying to decide whether to arrange for a rafting excursion on the Lake, but I'm interested only if one sees the Glacier as well. Thank you and apologies for jumping in.

In my opinion this is a very poor touring choice that I never recommend. You will NOT be "rafting" on the lake. You will transit the lake, with only a brief and distant view of Mendenhall. You then enter the river, which is trees, trees and back yards. For the cost of this tour, money is far better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

A superior "Mendenhall" lake option are the canoe trips which stay on the lake. Usually fully ship contracted tours however.

To expand on Tee Harbor, the East Loop trail is a VERY POOR choice for glacier viewing, essentially you get a few minute view, about it. It's all wooded. I like taking the first trailhead, which is the switchback, then take the stairs down. You need to allow several hours, and then some if you also add the Nugget Creek trail, which is uphill on the return, then the stairs. :) The Interpretive trail is good, be sure to pick up a guide sheet, will enhance the walk.

For the most glacier view, it's the short Photo Point trail, easy and short, doable by most.

BQ, I believe we're only going to have about an hour at MG. We're on the Pearl itinerary and Orca's is taking as there before a whale watch, so with that time schedule I'm assuming about an hour.

Will this give us enough time for the photo pt. trail and time to see the visitor's center? Is the VC is worth a visit?

Thanks for all the info.

BQ, I believe we're only going to have about an hour at MG. We're on the Pearl itinerary and Orca's is taking as there before a whale watch, so with that time schedule I'm assuming about an hour.

Will this give us enough time for the photo pt. trail and time to see the visitor's center? Is the VC is worth a visit?

Thanks for all the info.

Not sure why Orca is taking you to Mendenhall, actually they should be picking you up?? I would just take the first available shuttle bus to there. Yes, an hour is enough time to get to Photo Point trail and a look at the Vistor Center.

Not sure why Orca is taking you to Mendenhall, actually they should be picking you up?? I would just take the first available shuttle bus to there. Yes, an hour is enough time to get to Photo Point trail and a look at the Vistor Center.

We booked a combo ticket with them MG and WW. They are pickung us up. I will check with them.

So, the quickest way to get there from the Pearl is just exit the ship and grab a shuttle bus?

Thanks

We booked a combo ticket with them MG and WW. They are pickung us up. I will check with them.

So, the quickest way to get there from the Pearl is just exit the ship and grab a shuttle bus?

Thanks

You do know the Pearl is at the AJ dock??? A mile walk to downtown, or shuttle buses available, to the tram, where the Mendenhall Shuttle buses are, and Orca Enterprises across the street. I suggest you verify with them the arrangements. In the past, they usually picked up/dropped off from the whale watch. The other direction you used the shuttle bus. It depends on the time, you may have more of it if you take a shuttle bus to Mendenhall, with a pick up there from Orca?

Would love to hear from some folks who've hiked around here.

I've googled around, and it looks like the views are pretty nice:

Gallery on flickr

Anyone know how far along the trail you need to go to get to this view?

Thanks.

P.S. I read further down this thread from the original post and found my answer. Thanks.

Anyone know how far along the trail you need to go to get to this view?

Thanks.

P.S. I read further down this thread from the original post and found my answer. Thanks.

You need to go toward Nugget Creek for this overlook. But on the East Loop this is about it for viewing. Also, you can not count on this being more overgrown, depending on when this photo was taken. That's the "problem" with viewing the whole distance.

The East Glacier Trail is a wonderful rain forest hike with a lot of thick moss and geologic formations but with only a few views of the glacier. I've hiked this trail twice by going on the Guide's Choice Hike offered by HAL. We hiked counter-clockwise in order to end the loop at the visitor's center. To view pictures of the trail and other adventures I had checkout http://mikemadin.shutterfly.com/176 . The seven photos between Images 436 through 530 are of this hike. The pictures all seem a little dark but you get the idea.

Hi just wanted to know if you can bring a stroller on these trails? , as i am traveling with my 1 year old daughter. thank you

There are several trails at the Glacier where you can push a stroller. The photo lookout is paved, and there's another set of trails accessed from the parking lots to the left as you face the glacier that are packed down crushed gravel. They snake around over streams and through shrubs and alder trees, not the forest. There's supposed to be a packed trail to the Nugget Falls by this summer--we'll see. Every Alaska project costs twice as much and takes twice as long.

• 1 month later...
What about the unofficial trail that goes by the lakeside? I know they are supposed to build a new trail there, but can we still go before the trail is completed?

:confused:

anybody have a link to trails that's working? one posted years ago isn't linking on 1st page of thread.

im considering just skipping the tours (many only give an hour or so) and doing it on our own so we can walk around as much as we like...will getting in line to catch a blue bus back 1 to 1-1/2 hours before ship departs give us enough time to not have to hurry?

:confused:

anybody have a link to trails that's working? one posted years ago isn't linking on 1st page of thread.

I googled Tongass, and it looks like the whole web site is down. I would guess that's temporary.

In the meantime, Google caches web sites as it searches them. Google "mendenhall trails", and find the entry that starts with "www.fs.fed.us", and click on the word 'cached'. That will show you most of the info.

If you have a good long distance calling plan, call Tongass and ask what's up with their website. ;)

Archived