Hotel Danieli

Has anyone ever stayed and/or eaten a lovely dinner there? Is there inside and outside dining? I have seen pictures and it appears just beautiful. My group of 6 are planning to eat our last night of the cruise's dinner in Venice, and would love to know about this place. Or if there's another great place, your suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Sorry, I haven't dined or stayed in the Danieli. I stayed 5 days in VCE at the Monaco & Grand Canal Hotel (lovely); & ate at a lot of different restaurants. Most of which we just happened upon & stopped to look at their menus. However, even if you don't eat or stay there, at least walk into the lobby & look around. It was on our "to do" list; & it is truly beautiful. I shudder to think how much a meal would cost there.

I took down some names of restaurants that I read about on the TripAdvisor.com message boards for Italy. I can't say that I was overly impressed w/ the ones that we did try. But there is one that was recommended by a friend many years ago. It is called Ristaurante Sempione. It is hard to find on a small canal a little east of the Rialto Bridge. It is predominently locals; small; & the food is divine & reasonably priced. We searched & searched til we found it in '03. When we were back in '06, we had a hard time finding it again. But it was just as special then. We had fabulous proscuitto & melon appetizers & both had different pasta dishes. The wine was ridiculously inexpensive & delicious w/o all those phosphates that we see in bottled imported wine. (And I'm not a wine drinker at all.) You're probably wanting a restaurant that has more WOW factor than Sempione. But this is a truly Italian experience & reasonably priced for VCE. Too bad it's just so hard to find.

The rooftop restaurant, Terrazza Danieli, has indoor and outdoor dining. More views of the lagoon than of the Grand Canal (the bar has nothing but lagoon views if I recall correctly).

There is nothing particularly Venetian about the food served there -- not that I think Venetian cuisine is particularly wonderful. It is expensive.

We stayed at the Danieli in 2005. Even though we were staying with Starwood points, they upgraded us to a junior suite overlooking a small canal. It's a fabulous old palace, although the service is inconsistent - reception was wonderful, the concierges were surly and the cocktail waitress was morose. We didn't eat there because it's insanely expensive (as opposed to merely expensive in the rest of the city, LOL). the breakfast buffet was 50 Euros per person. A couple of cocktails cost us 20 Euros. So we ate out and about the city, with mostly good results, entirely by chance. The only "miss" was a restaurant recommended by the surly concierge - it was ok, but not outstanding.

We went for a walk one evening and found a terrific restaurant. It seemed like a locals kind of place, too - we were the only Americans in there.

I'm rambling, sorry! Anyway, I would skip eating there. Maybe have a drink and then move one.

I have stayed at the Danieli as well as the Gritti palace. I think both hotels are over rated. I like the Bauer better if you are into spending enormous amounts of money. My favorite place to stay..this will be our third time..is the Pensione Academia. The service is far better and the breakfast is included and served in the garden. It is not too far from San Marco, but far enough to be less touristy. The people are WONDERFUL.

Karen

I have stayed at the Danieli as well as the Gritti palace. I think both hotels are over rated. I like the Bauer better if you are into spending enormous amounts of money. My favorite place to stay..this will be our third time..is the Pensione Academia. The service is far better and the breakfast is included and served in the garden. It is not too far from San Marco, but far enough to be less touristy. The people are WONDERFUL.

Karen

Karen, Karen, Karen...

You are NOT supposed to let people now about the Academia. The fewer people who know about it, the better the chances of a room being available when I visit The Serene Republic. It is a wonderful place.

• 2 weeks later...

Kathy130,

My husband and I spent 4 hours (our choice not indicative of speed of service)having lunch at the Danieli during a land trip. It was a beautiful June afternoon and had the best views of the canal in our opinion. We did sit outside on the balcony which was covered although they also offered indoor dining.

We had had too much running around and just wanted an afternoon by ourselves (traveling with 37 family members :eek:) and just had course after course along with a few glasses of wine. I don't recall how much we spent but we still remember it as our favorite day in the 21 day trip. if it is something your group is looking to do, don't pass it up. If only for drinks and snacks before heading out. I do recall it being expensive but that was our 'souvenir' money for the day....well spent.

Archived