Times to arrange for private tour question

TERRIER1

I have arranged a private tour for Ephesus with some of my fellow cruise mates. I have never done this before and need some guidance.

If the ship is schedule to arrive at 8 am and depart at 2 pm then what time should I have the guide meet us? I know that Oceania guided tours get off the ship first so I do not know what I should tell the tour operator. Then again, he does this so often maybe he knows. Also, what time should I say to be back to the ship? Any suggestions as to tipping? I never took a tour before so I am really clueless here. We have always done the ports on our own but Ephesus is different. Thanks.

I have arranged a private tour for Ephesus with some of my fellow cruise mates. I have never done this before and need some guidance.

If the ship is schedule to arrive at 8 am and depart at 2 pm then what time should I have the guide meet us? I know that Oceania guided tours get off the ship first so I do not know what I should tell the tour operator. Then again, he does this so often maybe he knows. Also, what time should I say to be back to the ship? Any suggestions as to tipping? I never took a tour before so I am really clueless here. We have always done the ports on our own but Ephesus is different. Thanks.

First of all, you can get off the ship anytime after it is cleared. You do not have to wait for the ships tours to disembark. We do alot of private tours and I like to be back at the ship at least 1 1/2 hours before sailing. This leaves time for unexpected, like the accident which held us up for an hour outside of Cairo. As for tipping, use your judgement. If the guide is really good, 5$ per person, or a percentage of what it costs you. Enjoy!

If you are docked I would say 8:30 or 9 am for P/U

I would be back at least 1 hr before sailing at the very latest

TIP

Take you copy of the CURRENTS with you it has the port agents contact details should you run into a problem getting back on time.

We usually give 10-15% of the tour price pp depending on the quality of service

Lyn

Actually the ship posts the time to be back, usually an hour before sailing although there are always a few who are late. I think the crew is 1/2 hour before sailing. (I always give the guide a time a little earlier than necessary as a precaution.)

This is for docked ports. For tenders they will advise the time of the last tender.

Most local guides are familiar with cruise schedules and plan their pick ups accordingly. Since you are paying them they will wait if there is a delay.

Interesting story. In Marsailles we docked at a dock several miles closer to the port than planned. Everyone who had booked a private tour was concerned but by the time we finished immigration and were let off the ship there was a convoy of vans and cars entering the port. They all have cell phones and co-operate with each other. Its how they make money.

Lyn,

You are right on!! Taking the Currents or daily bulletin is my No. 1 tip to all cruisers. It has the port agent's phone number in case of any emergency. After 35 cruises, I don't meet many people that do that simple thing. We usually give the same tip as you mention depending on the service given us.

Sheila

Actually the ship posts the time to be back, usually an hour before sailing although there are always a few who are late. I think the crew is 1/2 hour before sailing.

I noticed it is usually all aboard for the crew 1 hr prior to sailing & 30 -45 min for passengers.

It is always posted at the exit or at the bottom of the gangway when you get off.

I like to be back at least 1 hr for my own comfort zone;)

Lyn

We are on the June 12 Insignia cruise and are also looking at booking a tour in Ephesus. May I ask who you used and the details (length, cost)? Our roll call is basically empty so far so it may just be the two of us.

We are on the June 12 Insignia cruise and are also looking at booking a tour in Ephesus. May I ask who you used and the details (length, cost)? Our roll call is basically empty so far so it may just be the two of us.

Hi Calvin,

We are not on your cruise but will be in Ephesus in July. We have booked a highly recommended guide,

His name is Levent Solmaz and his web site is:

http://leventsolmaz.com/

We have booked him for Ephesus and for 4 days in Istanbul. We are looking forward to touring with him.

Regards,

Don Parsons

Thanks for passing on the name. I did see his name in the tripadvisor site, but on this forum it seems people use Ekol. I need to make a decision as the cruise is now less than three months away, but I keep hoping someone will join the roll call. I will check out his website.

We booked Levent Solmaz. My communication with Mr Solmaz to date has been great. He is very responsive and pleasant to deal with. The other tour operator that is mentioned frequently on Cruise Critic is Ekol.

Archived