Independent tour operators to swim with the turtles on Malibu Beach?

chrispycruiser

We are going to spend the day on Malibu beach with the Lunch tour that Malibu offers. A few of us would like to swim with the turtles and snorkel the shipwreck. Are there independent tour operators that we could hire somewhere on Malibu beach? Does anyone have any experience with them?

The turtles and the nearby snorkle wreck are up near Folkstone marine park closer to Holetown and Sandy Lane - probably 5 miles up the coast. When I was at Malibue Beach there weren't boatmen awaiting to make that sort of trip. What I did once was a turtle snorkle trip in the AM then hit Malibue in the afternoon. That was a nice day.

I've been out to the turtles several times (4 to be precise). I think it is one of the more unique things one can do in the islands (like Stingray City on Grand Cayman) The first time I went sort of blew me away (I'm a marine animal - 'Oh Wow' - type though, as are many)

The first time was a line booked excursion (Princess) that was a kuyak paddle then turtle snorkle. The two activitites were quite separate though with a pontoon boat providing transport between. The second time I swam from shore using my own gear. The last couple of times were from independently booked catamaran snorkle and lunch excursions.

I would recommend splurging a bit and doing a catamaran excursion. There are a number of operators, nearly all get good to excellent reviews. If 'Cool Runnings' is willing to take cruisers (we collectively got blacklisted for no shows) I'd go with them [see if you can avoid telling them you're a cruiser and cab it the marina]. http://www.coolrunningsbarbados.com 'Silver Moon' gets raves too though http://www.silvermoonbarbados.com

I don't suggest swimming out from shore. You don't appear to be far at all offshore - from a boat - and it my only be 100-200 yards but its open water and not suitable for children or poor swimmers and the rigors of it take away from the experience. Plus you need to sort of 'poach' off another group since the turtles come up for the fishy hand outs of excursion guides (they're a bit timid otherwise [wild]). Almost always they make numerous 'close encounters' though.

There are small boat operators that appear to take folks out on the cheap from near the 'Blue Monkey' shore restaurant/bar adjacent Folkstone but you need to get transportation there and wing it (I've heard rates of around $25). All in all, I think the organized cat operators offer the best value. They tend to offer the outing as a 4-5 hour deal with food and drink incl. The trip up the coast is nice. Most leave from the marina in downtown Bridgetown (and offer either transport incl. or its about $3 to cab it). If you have time after and want to beach the Boatyard area is only a 5 minute walk from there.

Good luck - enjoy!

Archived