Snorkeling please, plan ahead or wing it?

oooohDonna

What/where (reefs) are the best snorkeling tours and who are they through?

Seriously thinking about just winging it and hooking up with someone once we get there. Is that a good idea or not?

And if it's a good idea, is there any particular group or person we should look for to take us to reef (s)?

Thanks!

We planned ahead and went snorkeling through Royal Caribbean. It was on a catamaran called the Mayan Wind. They took you out to the reef where snorkeling is better than the beach snorkel, and there were fewer boats and water toys in the area to contend with.

Their vests, fins and masks were all in good shape and they gave you new, sealed mouthpieces and tubes.

We did see another boat come in, and no one had vests, which is probably not a good idea no matter how good a swimmer you are.

You could also pick up a tour after you get on the pier. Just make sure they have good equipment.

Enjoy it. We did!!:)

We wing it in Costa Maya 2 years ago. We paid $20 each for the adults and the

kids were only $5.

We find that we get great deals to wing it. But be prepared that you might

not get to do everything you planned to do if you can find a local vendor.

We snorkled in Costa Maya last week through Carnival on the Mayan Wind also. I worried about booking through Carnival when I had read here that you can pick up a snorkle tour locally and cheaper, I was glad that I had booked Carnival when we had heard from others that the locals wouldn't take them out because it was too rough.

It wasn't too bad snorkling at all so I was surprised to hear people say they didn't go. Had I waited to find a tour I wouldn't be able to go snorkling. So I am glad that I booked Carnival even though it cost more. I guess you just take a chance when you get there how rough the water will be.

We snorkled in Costa Maya last week through Carnival on the Mayan Wind also. I worried about booking through Carnival when I had read here that you can pick up a snorkle tour locally and cheaper, I was glad that I had booked Carnival when we had heard from others that the locals wouldn't take them out because it was too rough.

It wasn't too bad snorkling at all so I was surprised to hear people say they didn't go. Had I waited to find a tour I wouldn't be able to go snorkling. So I am glad that I booked Carnival even though it cost more. I guess you just take a chance when you get there how rough the water will be.

Thanks for the info. How many were on the boat with you? How was the snorkeling? Did you see lots of fish or mainly coral, plant life?

There were probably only about 15 people on the boat, so there was plenty of room, very nice boat and after snorkling they had water, pop or beer.

I hadn't been snorkling for awhile so it took me awhile to get used to it and keep up with hubby, but the coral and plant life were nicer than what we saw in Nassau, (which Nassau was great snorkling too) I saw more fish in Nassau but hubby said he saw just as much in Costa Maya. Definately worth it.

I beleive if you check this board nolaAlive posted some pics of the snorkling.

There were probably only about 15 people on the boat, so there was plenty of room, very nice boat and after snorkling they had water, pop or beer.

I hadn't been snorkling for awhile so it took me awhile to get used to it and keep up with hubby, but the coral and plant life were nicer than what we saw in Nassau, (which Nassau was great snorkling too) I saw more fish in Nassau but hubby said he saw just as much in Costa Maya. Definately worth it.

I beleive if you check this board nolaAlive posted some pics of the snorkling.

Sounds good! I'm booking it! :D Thanks

We planned ahead and went snorkeling through Royal Caribbean. It was on a catamaran called the Mayan Wind. They took you out to the reef where snorkeling is better than the beach snorkel, and there were fewer boats and water toys in the area to contend with.

Their vests, fins and masks were all in good shape and they gave you new, sealed mouthpieces and tubes.

We did see another boat come in, and no one had vests, which is probably not a good idea no matter how good a swimmer you are.

You could also pick up a tour after you get on the pier. Just make sure they have good equipment.

Enjoy it. We did!!:)

What was the name of the tour that you booked??

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Costa Maya on March 18 and brought my own snorkel gear. Here is a little advice for other self-guided snorkellers.

Cautious Entry:

The entry from the "beach" in front of the port required walking on some very sharp rocks. But once in the water, I found few spots of sand to cushion my feet as I walked out deep enough to float. As I walked out deeper, there was a large piece of metal sticking up out of the sand at about the perfect height for shin skin removal. Fortunately, I saw it first.

The "surf" was small (inches), and there was not much current; even though it was fairly late afternoon by the time I started snorkelling.

Highlights:

I found a couple of stingrays buried in the sand in about 20 feet of water on the South side of the cruise ship pier. Further south, around the rocks just south of the port area, I found a few small fish and another stingray swimming around the young fan corals which I assume are just getting re-established since the last hurricane. The surf was a bit rougher out there, so the swimming was tougher; but still not bad at all with fins.

Shoulda Woulda Coulda:

I had seen a huge school of fish on the North side of the pier as I walked in from the ship; but I did not swim under the pier to see them because I was unsure if there were any security restrictions. There were also a couple of large black objects swimming under the school which could have been (small) sharks. One of the vendors in the port area said that there are no large sharks in the area; but I still get nervous when I see them. I always think of the movie poster for "Jaws". :eek: In hindsight, I wish I would been more bold. I would bet that people feed those fish from the pier; which is probably why they gather there when ships are in port.

Can you find the stingray in the photo below? :

attachment.php?attachmentid=112633&stc=1&d=1239036472

275600959_CostaMayaStingray.jpg.9827f19040b310f3e4aef3be40505dcb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived