Grocery Store near hotel?

lovebug33

We were thinking of staying at the Comfort Inn in Anchorage. We just realized that we won't be able to take the water for my husband's CPAP machine on the airplane (this will be the first time we will travel with it!). So, we will need to go to a grocery to get the water. I find this all rather a pain. Anyway, if you've stayed at the Comfort Inn, is there a grocery nearby? TIA!

We were thinking of staying at the Comfort Inn in Anchorage. We just realized that we won't be able to take the water for my husband's CPAP machine on the airplane (this will be the first time we will travel with it!). So, we will need to go to a grocery to get the water. I find this all rather a pain. Anyway, if you've stayed at the Comfort Inn, is there a grocery nearby? TIA!

Unfortunately there is no close grocery store. Closest one would be the Carrs/Safeway on Gambell and I just did yahoo maps and it's about 1.5 miles from the hotel to there.

Unfortunately, there are no convenience stores downtown either.

Susan in Anchorage :)

You could pack water in checked baggage, or with a doctor's note take it on the plane. Liquids that are medicinal or prescribed are ok and I often take my contact lens solution on the plane with me, as my eyes get very dry. However it may depend on how anal the inspector is as to whether you get it on or not.

Apologies for not knowing much about CPAP machines...how much water do they hold?

My idea would be to buy a hydration pack replacement bladder. If you're not familiar with them, here's a typical one: http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Omega-HydroTanium-Hydration-Reservoir/dp/B000FFC79W

It will probably be cheaper at your local sporting goods mega-store (Sports Authority, Big5, REI, etc). I like Camelbak stuff the best, the round screw-off cap is large enough to easily clean and dry the inside, they are tougher plastic, and less prone to leak than some other brands I've used. They come in sizes from a quart to a few gallons. Costco sells an entire pack and reservoir for about $20 but the opening is too small to reach into to dry.

They are lightweight and pack flat. Does that work, or is distilled water needed?

• 2 months later...
Unfortunately there is no close grocery store. Closest one would be the Carrs/Safeway on Gambell and I just did yahoo maps and it's about 1.5 miles from the hotel to there. Unfortunately, there are no convenience stores downtown either.

Hi Susan,

We'll be at the Comfort Inn,too, and walking to Glacier BrewHouse for dinner. When I googled grocery stores, I found Lucky Grocery and Deli at 326 W. 4th Ave. Wondering how this place is and if it's still there. Just wanted to pick up a few things.

Thanks,

Bruce

We have to have distilled water or the machine will get ruined! However, quite a few people have chimed in on the HAL board that they use the ship water and have no problems, so I guess we are good to go!

Hi Susan,

We'll be at the Comfort Inn,too, and walking to Glacier BrewHouse for dinner. When I googled grocery stores, I found Lucky Grocery and Deli at 326 W. 4th Ave. Wondering how this place is and if it's still there. Just wanted to pick up a few things.

Thanks,

Bruce

I've never been in the place so I have no idea what's in there. If it's the place I'm thinking about it's right among a couple of bars there on 4th Avenue and won't be a very big place.

I just looked it up in the new phone books that got delivered Friday night and they have a number listed. Haven't been down 4th this spring yet, so if you want to give them a call to see what they have and if they are still in business their phone number is 907-258-4877.

I've never been in the place so I have no idea what's in there. If it's the place I'm thinking about it's right among a couple of bars there on 4th Avenue and won't be a very big place.

I just looked it up in the new phone books that got delivered Friday night and they have a number listed. Haven't been down 4th this spring yet, so if you want to give them a call to see what they have and if they are still in business their phone number is 907-258-4877.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your help. Will give them a call. You certainly have been helpful to us over the past year while my wife and I have been planning this cruise, and I am sure to others as well. Just want to let you know that using so much of your time getting us answers is very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Bruce

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your help. Will give them a call. You certainly have been helpful to us over the past year while my wife and I have been planning this cruise, and I am sure to others as well. Just want to let you know that using so much of your time getting us answers is very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Bruce

Bruce,

I'm very proud of my town and State and if I can help you all make your trip that much better, than heck why not :D Maybe you'll just keep coming back and help those that are in the tourist industry :D

Archived