Law to change railing height

emtnmare

Because you work in Manhattan you think you are more patriotic in regards to 9/11? Sorry but that is a load of crap!

Wow, way to misinterpret my statement. Consider yourself lucky you can promise to never forget, that's all. I know a helluva lot of people who don't have that option and had more important things to do in the days and months after than put a flag outside their house. Not that it has anything to do with rail heights or falling off a ship.

Yeah, didn't so much have time to go looking for a flag on 9/12. Because I had to back to work. In Manhattan. An leave my sister, who had barely missed being killed that day, in a quivering pile of nerves at home.

Anyone else wanna trade patriot credentials in regards to 9/11?

Gee I am sorry I found 5 minutes to look for a very important item.

I'm from NY as well...Harrison. I lost 5 close friends in the North Tower on that surreal, horrible morning.

My in-laws are in Harrison

Hi neighbor! Waving to you from White Plains!

I went to high school in White Plains.

I read in my local paper that there is a bill in congress relating to cruiseship safety. Part of the bill is the raise the raling height to 56 inches. Has anyone else seen or heard about this.

Write your congressman if you don't like it. I believe the industry should have another compliance route. Provide bungee cords for the cabins with balconies and have snap on lifelines on the open deck areas. LOL.:D

Well that makes 3 White Plainsers on this thread alone! Great city...great neighborhoods....like NYC by day.....small town, individual neighborhoods by night! Great recreation and shopping.

Small world/board...see y'all on North Broadway!! You pick the bar (what is the Irish one @ the bottom on way to Mall)??

Anyway, keep the railings as they are...just make the drunk people walk around on the knees.

Small world/board...see y'all on North Broadway!! You pick the bar (what is the Irish one @ the bottom on way to Mall)??

Anyway, keep the railings as they are...just make the drunk people walk around on the knees.

Come to floataway lounge. Which mall...the Westchester? Finns closed down. The Sports Page is now in the White Plains Mall. Great St. Pat's parade 2 weeks ago!,

If this law is passed, I predict that no cruise ship would ever be modified to meet these requirements.

Cruise ships, by their very nature, are mobile. The cruise ship operators will simply move their operation to locales where the law does not apply.

We are already seeing more ships being home ported in foreign ports such as the Dominican Republic, Belize, and Panama. It will be a simple matter to base ships in Ensenada rather than San Diego or LA. Also Vancouver rather than Seattle. Oh yeah, those ships won't be calling on any US ports in the future so there won't be any more Alaska cruises.

We also won't see any more East Coast fall foliage cruises, unless you want to cruise from Halifax along the Canadian East Coast.

Forget about San Juan and St. Thomas, but there are still lots of other Caribbean islands that will welcome the cruise business with open arms.

Yes we will all have to fly to our future ports of departure, but that will result in additional revenue to our dear government in the form of passport fees and airline taxes.

Hypo

I hope they don't raise the railing to 56 inches, I'm only 58 inches tall-- that big piece of wood that goes around the top will block by views. LOL

Seriously, if someone wants to jump, the rails could be 10 feet high and it would not matter. If someone wants to throw someone over board, they will find a way. The rails are not the problem.

Are cruise ships safe ??

An interesting article.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=241

"Have you ever been affected by crime, minor or major, on a cruise ship? 10 percent said yes, 90 percent said no."

TEN PERCENT. ONE IN TEN!

An unscientific poll. The question was simply listed for all to answer OR NOT, if they were interested. Logic should tell you that those that have been effected by a crime, OR THINK THEY HAVE, will be highly motivated to respond to such a survey. Those who have not will be fairly uninterested in answering the survey.

Effected by a crime in this survey would include:

Actual victims of a crime, aboard ship, OR in port. CRIMES would include: pickpocket, cheated in a purchase, received the wrong change. Lost OR FORGOT their camera, sunglasses, hat, umbrella, souvenir, towel, or false teeth.

A survey of ALL cruisers, interested or not, would turn up much different results. But reality and facts have no place in the life of liberals.

Dan

Archived