Att cell service doesn't work

donaho

Just came back from Journey voyage to Caribbean. My iphone with Att service did not work on the ship's "celluar at sea" service. They said that they could not negotiate a contract with Att.

And the problem is:confused:

The last thing I want to do is answer a phone while on vacation

Even if someone dies, to late to do anything about if they are died

And the problem is:confused:

The last thing I want to do is answer a phone while on vacation

Even if someone dies, to late to do anything about if they are died

Hi Airbalancer !

Sorry, but I disagree. I'm willing to bet that not everyone feels the same way you do..... and some may have to be in touch with work or Family Members, etc.

To the OP (Donaho) : Thanks for sharing the information with us.

Is this a problem just in the Caribbean? We are cruising the Med on the Quest in July and our cell phone service is with AT&T. Not that we're planning on making tons of calls, but it would be nice to know if the phone will work at all.

We were on the Journey in the Med in September of last year and had cell phone service in every port. I have AT&T so it certainly works in the ports. I didn't turn it on at sea since I left emergency contact numbers for the ship if needed. One thing that you may need to do is to be certain that your phone is set up for International Roaming. AT&T can do this for you over the phone or I think on-line, but you do have to do it before you leave the US. The setup is free, using the service, most definitely, is not.

Thanks so much for the info and easing our minds. Since we are in port every day but one, there shouldn't be any problems. DH's phone is set up for international, so we're all set. All we have to do now is wait for the trip!

We have AT&T service and had no trouble with it on Journey while at sea. This was on the Panama Canal crossing, so part Caribbean and part Mexican Riviera.

I remember reading here a couple of years ago that the ship's cellular tower is an AT&T one, so perhaps nobody had cell service because of an overall program?

My wife's T-Mobile didn't work on the Journey as well. Worked fine in ports. When we got home and checked, the T-Mobile site indicated that the phone would not work on Azamara.

The 2 major ones are MCP (Maritime Communications Partner ) and WMS (Wireless Maritime Services/Cellular at sea) and AT&T works with them. Actually, cellular at sea is a joint venture with AT&T. I suspect your phone does not have roaming turned on.

On our Feb 1 cruise on Solstice, I had service all the time, an dmy provider is AT&T. In fact, my d**n finanicial planner called me one morning and it cost me close to $6 for the two minutes we talked...(I should not have answered). I normallly dont use it while at sea, but it is reassuring to know the family can contact you in an emergency.

My husband and I tell the office and family to email us since I check my email every day. We bought a $99 phone from Mobal.Com two years ago and keep it turned off while traveling. If we have to make a business call or want to call the family, we use the Mobal phone. There is no month service fee on the phone -- you only pay for the calls you make or the incoming calls. We don't give out the number so we don't waste money on the incoming calls. We used it all over Europe without any problem. My granddaughters had their T-Mobile phones in the Caribbean and in Alaska when we took them and my son-in-law's phone bill was HUGE!!! Their friends kept calling them to see if they were having a good time!!

Sheila

Archived