Oceania Insignia Rio to Buenos Aires12/12/09

jerseygirl007

Has anyone been on this itinerary? How far is the port from the airport in Rio? The transfers are very expensive through the cruise line. How much would a taxi cost. How are the Deluxe Ocean View Rooms at 165 feet? Thanks

There is a thread for this cruise, albeit a quiet one - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=934125

I think you will find it goes on 12/10/09 not the twelfth.

There are also a few other threads where the Insignia start cruising from Rio and some useful information might be obtained there.

How are the Deluxe Ocean View Rooms at 165 feet? Thanks

Cannot comment on the Rio portion of your questions

The Ocean view cabin (C1 & C2) are the same size as the Deck 6 (B cabins)& 7 (A cabins) the only difference is you get a balcony

They are well appointed and enough room to store all our belongings (unless you over pack)

We have spent 32 days in a C1 cabin without incident...we survived, no family brawls :D

We spend a lot of time on deck so it works for us

Lyn

Has anyone been on this itinerary? How far is the port from the airport in Rio? The transfers are very expensive through the cruise line. How much would a taxi cost. How are the Deluxe Ocean View Rooms at 165 feet? Thanks

If you go to the Yahoo group of Oceania Cruise Lines, you will find a review of the same trip takien a few years ago by Jon.. If you have a problem finding it drop me a note I can send it to you ..

whyme71842@aol.com

I'm assuming you are refering to the international airport (GIG), right?

"How far is the port from the airport in Rio?"

25/30 km I'd say

"How much would a taxi cost"

There are two types of taxis, the "special" has a price set, and will cost you around US$30 and the "common" (light yellow) will run by the meter (around US$20).

We just did this trip on a B2B from Lisbon to Rio to BA. We actually stayed overnight (because of flight times) at the Marriott, but getting a taxi to the Marriott was around $10 from the ship. Then from Marriott to the airport was around $20.

Let me just suggest that you might want to consider leaving the ship the night before the day you are to disembark. I usually study my travel plans carefully, but I really messed up on this one. Since our flight was after 11 p.m back to Houston, we could have stayed on the ship the first day, enjoyed our stateroom and meals and left around 8 p.m for the airport. Instead, we disembarked that first day (or I mean the first full day we were there since we docked for 2 days) and stayed at the Marriott. I had tried to change my flight to the previous evening, but the cost was more than the hotel. A number of other folks disembarked and went to the airport while we went to the hotel for our flight the next day.

Everyone has to disembark early the next morning anyway, so why not enjoy the ship to the last minute and then go the airport.

Sound confusing? Not so--just my explanation.

Archived