FLoat Trip-Kenai River Cooper Landing or Chilkat River Haines?

mommym

Looking for help picking a float trip for my family including my 2 sons, ages 10 and 12. I'm wondering which you would recommend for possible wildlife sightings and beautiful scenery. I am leaning toward the Kenai River trip as it seems more scenic but do you spend much of your time looking at throngs of people fishing? Also, for those who have done the Kenai float trip-does the 7 hour trip get too long? I've read much about both on this board but just wondering if you had to choose one, which would you do? Thanks!

Both of these are scenic. Would depend on your timeframe about the fishing issues, but, in peak, the shores are lined with people on the Kenai River. :) Only you can determine the length of time, would definately be too long for me on this tame trip. May be great for your group. Neither is "loaded" with wildlife. I'm, assuming this is an "extra" day and you are not shortchanging activities in Seward/Whittier?? Both of those locations have far more activities to consider.

Thanks Budget Queen for your input. We are going to spend 4 days in Seward-thanks, in part, to your input here on the boards. We'll be there the first week in June. As far as the 7 hour float, I am going to call Alaska River Company to see how long you actually spend on water since they mention lunch and a 1.5 nature walk up the Hidden Creek Trail. I liked the thought of some "whiter" water in the Kenai Canyon than on the shorter trip although I am sure it is still very tame. Their description mentions the trip "continues past Jim's Landing"-any idea what that is?

This float trip would be instead of the PWS cruise that I know you love. I gave up the PWS tour thinking I should mix it up a little for my 10 and 12 year old boys since we will be doing a Kenai Fjord tour on our first day in Seward after coming in on the train. We also will be doing Exit Glacier, Harding Icefield if conditions permit, and Ididaride. Though I am sure it is very beautiful, I just don't know if I dare stick them on another boat trip (PWS) before getting on a cruise ship for a week. Yes, the float trip is on water, but in a different way and my one and only rafting trip holds great memories for me. I personally would love to do PWS...Do you have any input? Would the PWS trip win hands down over the float trip if you were in my situation? (We could do the float trip in Haines but I was thinking the boys would like to get their feet on land for awhile and we were going to rent a car and tour around into the Yukon.) Thanks again for your input!

This float trip would be instead of the PWS cruise that I know you love. I gave up the PWS tour thinking I should mix it up a little for my 10 and 12 year old boys since we will be doing a Kenai Fjord tour on our first day in Seward after coming in on the train. We also will be doing Exit Glacier, Harding Icefield if conditions permit, and Ididaride. Though I am sure it is very beautiful, I just don't know if I dare stick them on another boat trip (PWS) before getting on a cruise ship for a week. Yes, the float trip is on water, but in a different way and my one and only rafting trip holds great memories for me. I personally would love to do PWS...Do you have any input? Would the PWS trip win hands down over the float trip if you were in my situation? (We could do the float trip in Haines but I was thinking the boys would like to get their feet on land for awhile and we were going to rent a car and tour around into the Yukon.) Thanks again for your input!

This sounds like a great choice for you. :)

We did the 2-hour float trip on the Kenai River in 2007. We had a beautiful day and the scenery was very pretty, but 2 hours was plenty for me. I can't imagine doing that for 7 hours.

Did you book this independently or through Princess? Also, what time of day did you go. We won't arrive until 3PM & wonder if there is enough time to do this before dark.

Thanks,

Diane

Did you book this independently or through Princess? Also, what time of day did you go. We won't arrive until 3PM & wonder if there is enough time to do this before dark.

Thanks,

Diane

We were on an independent land trip, and I booked directly with the company - Alaska Wildland Adventures (http://www.alaskawildland.com/day-fishing-and-rafting-trips.htm), using a 2-for-1 Toursaver coupon. Our trip was at 1:00. Depending on when you visit, it might not be dark until 9-10 p.m. or later.

Archived