What can we expect on the first cruise after drydock?

Quince

Has anybody ever been on a cruise right after drydock? Will there be construction on-going around the ship as we sail?

I've noticed that web sites aren't promoting the Veendam's May 1 sailing as much as they are promoting other dates. Is this because they want the ship to be a little more empty so they can continue to do remodeling? It sounds like they've got a very extensive repair itinerary, and a month is not much time to complete the work.

Has anybody ever been on a cruise right after drydock? Will there be construction on-going around the ship as we sail?

I've noticed that web sites aren't promoting the Veendam's May 1 sailing as much as they are promoting other dates. Is this because they want the ship to be a little more empty so they can continue to do remodeling? It sounds like they've got a very extensive repair itinerary, and a month is not much time to complete the work.

There can always be smething that ends up a little behind scedule, but keep in mind that a week has already been added to this drydock. It has gone from 28 days to 35. This was likely done because they realized in advance it might have been pushing it a little too close (at least the first time until they get "a rhythm" for the others.

I would imagine it will be fine though.

That May 1 cruise is a repositioning cruise to get her to Alaska -- inorder to get her there on time -- some ports had to be eliminated -- some people just don't like that.

I can tell you that our 21 day repositioning cruise on the Westerdam is also not sold out. Last year we did a similar cruise on her and she was sold out 2 months in advance.

Thanks for the info. It's rare to have a construction project that gets finished on time, but I'm sure they have a lot of incentives with their contractors to get the job done fast.

We did the Zuiderdam last year after drydock and Maasdam this January after same. Both had some minor problems that the crew attended to asap. Expect that a few people will be negatively affected by these lingering issues, but HAL seemed to make good for them at the time. We had no problems in either case and would sail again right after drydock if the itinerary called for it.

harry

We did the Zuiderdam last year after drydock and Maasdam this January after same. Both had some minor problems that the crew attended to asap. Expect that a few people will be negatively affected by these lingering issues, but HAL seemed to make good for them at the time. We had no problems in either case and would sail again right after drydock if the itinerary called for it.

harry

Harry, I assume you sailed from Barcelona last year on the Zuiderdam, I'll be on the Oosterdam dam next month on the same itinerary on the first cruise after dry dock also, can you tell me anything specificly that wasn't finished or was problematic last year on the Z-dam ?

Thanks Srpilo

Harry, I assume you sailed from Barcelona last year on the Zuiderdam, I'll be on the Oosterdam dam next month on the same itinerary on the first cruise after dry dock also, can you tell me anything specificly that wasn't finished or was problematic last year on the Z-dam ?

Thanks Srpilo

Actually, the ship sailed initially from Venice to Venice to Barcelona ... b2bs.

There were some wall mountings that were not secured tightly and would make noise when the ship had any rocking motion .. this was on the stairs.

In Pinnacle, one of the new 'post-modern' wall adornments fell down en route to Venice and at dinner the first night, we noticed clamps on the picture frame holding it up - kinda ugly but somewhat amusing.

Some folks were missing shower heads, some toilets did not work initially, but both were handled the first day.

There were other minor problems, but nothing that would come to mind now, so they obviously were not significant.

I suspect the main issue was that the crew needed to get up to speed with the schedule. Unlike normal turnover, here they had been in drydock for some time and now the daily pattern was shifting.

All in all though, we thought the captain and crew did a remarkable job getting everyone onboard, sailing, and addressing the issues that did come up. One would never have thought it had just come out of drydock.

Also, there were a lot of new things such as carpeting in a lot of places, some new furniture, etc .. this was kinda a nice to see rather than a worn look as before.

harry

We were also on the first sailing of the Zuiderdam after drydock...Venice to Barcelona...We did not notice any major problems on the ship...There were probably some things we did not notice and not aware of...We were very pleased with the ship and the cruise.

Archived