Need some help please....

cruiselovernj123

My mom is turning 70 in May and my brother and I would like to surprise her with a singles cruise to Europe that is age appropriate. I think she would prefer a roommate....

We need suggestions for the best cruiseline for her situation - something somewhat organized would be preferred since I know she may be uncomfortable (at first)....

Thanks!

Unless you are sure she would like a full sized ship, if this would be her first time; and for her age, you might consider trying one of the river cruises in Europe. I know both Grand Circle Travel and Vantage offer senior river cruises, and being single, they HELP you to find roomate. Delightful way to see places, NOT a large room, but adequate and friendly shipmates all in the same "place" in their lives. We've been on two and they were wonderful.

Hope this helps give a new thought to your process.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• 4 weeks later...

I would agree with No sea legs. Grand Circle would be a good choice for your Mother. We took a 30 day trip from Bucharest to Amsterdam and had a wonderful time. There were several singles on the boat, both men and women. A couple of them had roommates provided by the company.

The food is good, the service is good and it can be very relaxing if you want or their are enough excursions to keep you busy.

70 isn't THAT old! My mom is 75 and plays tennis 3 times a week!

Instead of a surprise, how about letting her help PLAN the vacation--the surprise will be that she doesn't have to PAY for it! Get her imput, so that she can really enjoy what you're giving! Get brochures from several cruiselines and find out about "group" cruises--there are several a year from our area that the "seniors" love to do! Local travel agencies will know all about them!

I'm 67 and love cruising. My husband died about a year ago and my first cruises without him were difficult but I really met lovely people from Cruise Critic (and on board), so as long as your Mother is not shy, she should enjoy a cruise. One bad part, if you don't have a room mate, you end up paying for two, so I would either try to find a roommate for her or consider a cruise that will help do that. Some river cruises do, but not any of the "big" lines do that I know of. Good Luck! What a wonderful gift.

Rosemary

You really have to be careful with that roommate thing. You're planning a wonderful vacation but what if she winds up with the roommate from he LL? That would completely ruin her trip. Rooming with a stranger is tough, especially when one is older---you know, set in their ways and all that. Perhaps your mom has a friend she already knows who could do this trip with her. I know a lot of mature cruisers and none of them do the stranger roommate thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Holland America has room mate matching and also cater to singles with reduced single supplement pricing (some of their ship have singles rooms available.

Yep, that's true.

But other advices are also good.

Now the question will be, a sea or river cruise.

For sea cruise I belief Holland America Line will be the best choice.

they have many 'Adventures Afloat' which utilize River, Small Ships and the big Cruise Lines (mainly HAL). There programs are obviously tailored to Seniors, they will find room mates. We have been to many Elderhostels on land. About 75% of attendees are single women. There is so much interaction among hostelers that whether you are shy or gregarious you become not only part of the group but almost feel like family. The group watches out for one another so that if any problems arise you would never feel alone. check out their website, http://www.elderhostel.org.

Archived