Another flightseeing question

NeilFan

We are on HAL Tour #18 and trying to decide which day would work best for a flightseeing tour. HAL offers flightseeing and helicopter at Denali the evening before our Tundra Wilderness Tour, the evening of the TWT (perhaps this would be too long a day?), and in the morning before we board the train for Anchorage. There is also a short opportunity the evening we stay in Anchorage with the Chugach Mountain Explorer.

Our port stops are Haines, Juneau, and Ketchikan. We've already committed our morning to a whale watch in Juneau with H&M. I know you experienced Alaska travelers give great accolades to the Misty Fjords tours, but what would we expect to see on any other flightseeing trips?

I know this is asking a lot but just wanted to have some input as to what did or didn't impress you; then we'll have to decide for ourselves what our priorities are after we review these responses and the numerous lists of tours.

Thanks so much and have a great day...it's gonna be 60 degrees today in South Dakota... finally!

Rene

In Denali, I would book for the first opportunity, which is your arrival day, in the evening?? You would then have the rest of your time for other touring options.

It depends what you want to see, for flightseeing choices? Glacier helicopter landings get on ice and the ability to walk around some. Longer tours offer treks. Misty Fiords is all green, mountains, alpine lakes, landings with ability to get out on land with some independent operators, ship contracted tours, stand on the pontoons. Longer flights, can have glacier viewing. Also flights necessary for most bear watching tours.

Denali/Talkeetna flightseeing offers the chance to view McKinley. Several options, ski planes, land on snow, Summit flights- my preference :) go over McKinley. Then there are several other flightseeing routes.

So, make your choices on your flying experience/aircraft preferences perhaps, along with the flightseeing sights. I've done many flights in Alaska on all these, it's all good. :)

Last summer we did the McKinley Summit Flight from Denali with K2. Even though Denali was shrouded in clouds/fog, the rest of the flight was still spectacular. Since we did the Denli TWT the day before, I was able to identify spots in the park along our return flight. The scenery was very colorful and very unusual.

We also did the Alaska Range Grand Tour with K2 from Talkeetna. The weather was perfectly clear, and flying around the snow covered mountains and icy glaciers was amazing and surreal. It was very different from what we were able to see in our Summit Flight, with much more snow and ice - less colorful, but equally spectacular.

Finally, we did the Helicopter Glacier Landing and Dogsledding with Temsco in Skagway. The highlight was obviously the dogsledding, but there was still some beautiful scenery - just not on the same scale as the other flights.

You can see photos from each flight in my Alaska photo gallery using the link in my signature. Look at the "Denali National Park Area", "Talkeetna Area", and "Skagway" galleries. I hope the photos can help with your decision.

We are looking into a possible helicopter glacier landing trip possibly with dogsledding and based on timing, it looks like the choices are a big day in Juneau with a whale watching tour followed by the helcopter trip to Mendenhall, or doing the helicopter tour from Skagway.

As you did the Skagway helicopter trip, I thought you might have some insight and recommendations. Have you been to Mendenhall glacier?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input.

We are looking into a possible helicopter glacier landing trip possibly with dogsledding and based on timing, it looks like the choices are a big day in Juneau with a whale watching tour followed by the helcopter trip to Mendenhall, or doing the helicopter tour from Skagway.

As you did the Skagway helicopter trip, I thought you might have some insight and recommendations. Have you been to Mendenhall glacier?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input.

It makes no difference on quality of helicopter tours out of Juneau or Skagway. Schedule where you have the most time.

Yes, I have flown to Mendenhall twice. Others another 4 times.

Archived