Muster & Pack N Play on RCCL

LisaT91403

For those of you who have cruised on RCCL with an infant:

1. Our DS will be 1 year old. I'm assuming we need to put our life jackets on, put the baby's jacket on, and then hold him during the muster drill. Correct? I'm just wondering how this is going to work, as he gets heavy and squirmy! We can't bring the stroller, can we?

2. I'm worried about DS being able to sleep in the pack n play when he's used to his nice crib mattress. The pack n plays are like cardboard, aren't they? Did anyone have trouble with this?

Thanks!

The child will not have to wear the lifejacket and you most certainly can bring the stroller. Actually, on my Navigator of the Seas cruise three weeks ago, they let those of us in wheelchairs and people with infants to leave the muster drill early.

On NCL we did not have to put DD in her life jacket and we were able to leave her in the stroller during the drill. Sorry I'm not sure about protocol on RCL

As for the Pack N Play, DD slept fine at 6 and 7 months. I would recommend bringing a PNP sheet of your own. On NCL they just used a regular bed sheet at it got bunched up when DD moved around.

Just off Explorer and I carried DD (7 mos.) in her life jacket while I was wearing mine. What a pain!! :eek: But I survived and didn't even bother trying to take her out of it or bring a stroller. I just dealt.

Luckily, our muster station was close to the stairs and we didn't have to walk far on deck. I didn't take the stroller because I didn't want to have to wait for the elevator. Worse case, they'll tell you to put him in the life jacket and leave the stroller, they're not going to kick you off the ship! ;)

The pack 'n play was had a typical cushion bottom and they just use a bed sheet or the duvet (which is really soft). Since DS will be 1 year, you shouldn't have any trouble with the sheet not being extra tight.

• 4 weeks later...

Never on a cruise ship when she was a baby, but our DD slept fine in her pack-n-play all around the world. We even took it to Vietnam when she was 2 1/2. It got to the point where we finally had to tell her that she had to sleep in a bed when we traveled because her pack-n-play was where she felt "safe and comfortable" in a hotel room.

The one thing we always did do, however, was to make the pack-n-play as much like her crib as possible. Same blankets, same stuffed animals, and even managed to get the Ocean Wonders Aquarium attached to the corner.

We did have to put the life jacket on our 14 month old a few weeks ago on the Indy. One cruise worker stopped us and told us we did not have to go outside for the drill but then another worker told us we had to go check in at our station. SO we did and it was raining:( but we were able to leave early!

My son slept great in the pack and play we brought his blankets and his glowworm so he felt right at home!:D

We are leaving tomorrow. I wish we had room to take the Ocean Wonders Aquarium, but I don't think we can do it. Other than that, we don't put anything in our DS's crib with him (I guess we are still in anti-SIDS mode, even though he's pretty much past that stage). So there's not much to make him feel "at home" in the Pack N Play. I'm sure he'll get used to it after a night or two.

Thanks for the feedback!

Archived