7 hours to kill in FLL with all our luggage and kids ages 7,5 and 1

happygal74

When we return from our cruise on 4/5, we come into Miami and have a shuttle to get us back to Fort Lauderdale. Here's the deal, as I said in the subject line, we will have all of our luggage and three little kids with us. I have looked into renting a car in either Miami or FLL so we have something to do for the day (and a way to get there and a place to keep our luggage) and they are over $160 just for your basic entry level car. That isn't worth it to me.

I am wondering if we should just get an inexpensive hotel with a pool that has an airport shuttle and camp out there for the afternoon. But maybe I am missing some other great idea.

What would you do? And if I go the hotel route, do you have any recommendations?

Hi

Does the cruise offer baggage valet service to the airport?

I know some do - this allows you to check your bags in from the ship -

which would mean less hassle with the bags,

The Ramada at hollywood beach has a pool and is right on the boardwalk

where there is lots to do and see, booking a day room at an hotel is as good an option as any.

Have a great time.

Try going on Costco's web site & checking the car rental rates for Alamo & Avis. We always rent a car & even the pricing for a full size SUV hasn't been that high. They even have free shuttles to pick you up & take you to the rental location. Also I've never had to show my Costco membership. That's good since I haven't renewed it since 2007.

We only have one child & usually get a mid size SUV for about 45.00. You can also reserve without pre=paying to I'll always book, & check the rates, if it's gone down I book a new one then cancel the old one.

We always fly into FLL, sometimes we leave from Port Everglades sometimes Miami it's never been a problem to pick up at one location & drop off at another.

Good Luck!!!

Try going on Costco's web site & checking the car rental rates for Alamo & Avis. We always rent a car & even the pricing for a full size SUV hasn't been that high. They even have free shuttles to pick you up & take you to the rental location. Also I've never had to show my Costco membership. That's good since I haven't renewed it since 2007.

We only have one child & usually get a mid size SUV for about 45.00. You can also reserve without pre=paying to I'll always book, & check the rates, if it's gone down I book a new one then cancel the old one.

We always fly into FLL, sometimes we leave from Port Everglades sometimes Miami it's never been a problem to pick up at one location & drop off at another.

Good Luck!!!

The OP is trying to get a car over Easter. Even Hotwire and priceline's rates are going to be $60 before fees.

happygal, I'd start calling airport hotels now and see if you can book a day rate. Inventory should be open for those dates and I don't think you'll have too much of a problem getting a day rate at a hotel. However, you'll pay big bucks for a hotel room.

Good luck!

The OP is trying to get a car over Easter. Even Hotwire and priceline's rates are going to be $60 before fees.

happygal, I'd start calling airport hotels now and see if you can book a day rate. Inventory should be open for those dates and I don't think you'll have too much of a problem getting a day rate at a hotel. However, you'll pay big bucks for a hotel room.

Good luck!

I never cruise during Spring Break so I didn't think about that.

I never cruise during Spring Break so I didn't think about that.

Yes, that is what sucks about travel during peak season. Not only is the cruise expensive but everything else that goes along with the cruise! Hotels, car rentals, air fare, etc.

I have been calling hotels asking about day rates and everyone tells me that isn't something they do (and kind of sound a little suspicious, like I am calling as if I am a "working girl" or something ... ha ha ha)

Just wondering if I am asking the wrong question.

I have been calling hotels asking about day rates and everyone tells me that isn't something they do (and kind of sound a little suspicious, like I am calling as if I am a "working girl" or something ... ha ha ha)

Just wondering if I am asking the wrong question.

are you calling the HOTELS direct?? they SHOULD know what you mean.....a room from say 8-4 or so???? :rolleyes:

try hotels near the airport as they are generally used to people coming in and leaving at weird times....

however, sometimes you have to wait until that day.

If you choose a rental place at the airport, then you save cabfare back to the airport. You can catch the rental car shuttle at the port, which is free. Then, rent your car at, say $50 on Priceline, and your net cost is only about $32 plus gas. You return the car directly to the airport.

You can go to the Sawgrass (or some name like that) Mall, which has movies, eating places, shopping, or if the day is nice, go to the beach. We travel with 'throwaway' washcloths, which I moisten and stick in ziplocks on the last day before we debark the ship. Buy a roll of paper towels, and you can be failrly clean for your flight home!

Archived