Protocol on "shareing" with tablemates

lisid

I think it potentially causes more problems than it is worth. If you give everyone a glass from your bottle, then you are only getting one glass for yourself. This then puts the others in a position where they feel they are expected to reciprocate - and if they do not and you want another glass . . . . well, you'd then feel you have to offer some from the next bottle since you'd already started the precedent. It really depends on the group, but I've heard stories about hard feelings because some would share and others would accept but not ever reciprocate - where do you draw the line.

If we bring our own wine to the dining room (we never mind paying corkage) and if there is still wine left in the bottle (usually a glass or so), we offer it to the waiters if they wish to try it. If they don't (more often they don't) then the waiter has the leftover waiting for us the next evening.

I will offer sometimes if I know everyone at the table. But I do it with no expectation that anyone will reciprocate. If I don't know everyone at the table, then I usually don't offer to share.

There is no pressure to share with others at the table simply because you are seated with them. No one should feel the obligation or feel uncomfortable, the servers will not ask if you want to share your bottle.

If by the end of the week you have become good friends, I see no reason to extend the offer if your seapass can handle it.

We cruise as a family at times and take turns buying the wine, usually a minimum of two bottles a night...it gets expensive!

When my sister became a grandmother on our last cruise, she bought champagne for all. Otherwise we all bought our own wine/drinks. It worked well, but the special celebration was also fun. It was mid week and we were all pretty comfortable by then.

• Administrators
There is no pressure to share with others at the table simply because you are seated with them. No one should feel the obligation or feel uncomfortable, the servers will not ask if you want to share your bottle.

If by the end of the week you have become good friends, I see no reason to extend the offer if your seapass can handle it.

We cruise as a family at times and take turns buying the wine, usually a minimum of two bottles a night...it gets expensive!

BOY, no kidding! We once cruised with 2 other couples on our sailing (we were all friends before the cruise). The other 2 couples (okay, the male halves of them, to be honest) apparently somehow decided that wine purchases are a code-word for ... um.. virility.

For 11 nights my SO and I ordered a beer each at dinner (on our own tab) night after night as we watched these 2 folks try to outdo one another on wine. We then resolved NEVER to get into one of these situations. :) When all was said and done, at the end of the cruise, the other two couples had spent SEVEN times more than we had onboard the ship, and the vast portion of it was in wine. :eek: At that point I honestly didn't care that they'd made a few remarks about our not participating in the "wine" thing -- we were solvent!

Order the wine you want, drink it yourselves, while being cordial to table mates, and you will have a nice cruise.

Our TA sends us a bottle of wine on each cruise. We have shared with the table and not shared. Some of our tablemates excepted and some didnot. Those that shared our wine enjoyed it and we certainly enjoyed sharing it with them. Those that declined did not offend us. I think because it was a gift we felt like sharing our good fortune. If we were to buy a bottle of wine at dinner we would probably not offer as they have the same oppportunity to make a purchase.

I hope this makes sense.

We have never felt compeled to share a bottle of wine with our tablemates however on a recent cruise some tablemates had won a bottle of champagne on the cruise and wanted to share it with us...which was a very nice jesture on their part.:)

Archived