Paying to upgrade at pier

katt1

If we booked a balcony guarantee and were assigned a D1 would we pay the difference between the D1 and a Jr suite, or the difference between the guarantee price we paid and the Jr suite? Thanks in advance :)

If you upgrade at the pier by seeing the pier coordinator, there is a flat rate schedule to upgrade from a balcony to a junior suite. It is not related to what you originally paid.

Hi,

This list was posted by Sue L on Feb. 16, 2008. It was originally put on here by CC Radio. These prices are for a 7 night cruise.

They may have changed since this came out?

Thanks to Radio who posted this a while back.

The prices below are per cabin. . . NOT per person. . .

RCI Upgrades

From INSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1500

Suite - $1000

Balcony - $600

Outside - $300

Inside - $100

From OUTSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1200

Suite - $700

Balcony - $300

Outside - $100

From BALCONY to

Royal Suite - $1000

Suite - $400

Balcony - $100

From SUITE to

Royal Suite - $800

Suite - $400

those are the prices from the Pier Coordinator ONLY.

(RCI Revenue Dept (Miami)).

If you board the ship and upgrade at the Guest Relation

desks (On Board SHIP revenue Dept.) . . . the price you

would pay is usually MUCH Higher.

Here is a reminder. . . You must check in fully at the

check in desk, and when they hand you your Sea Pass

card. . .then it is OK to go to the Pier Coordinator to

inquire about an upgrade.

Another posting by CC Radio.

The regular Check In Counters at the Pier are for the Ships' Network(ex: Liberty of the Seas).

The Pier Coordinator will have a list of how many and what type of Cabins that were unbooked prior to the Sail date.

The pier coordinator is UNABLE to check in your Set Sail Pass. You must check in FIRST. . .then you can ask to speak to the Pier Coordinator.

The No-Shows (Customers who are booked, but never show up at the pier)are handle differently. . .

Those Upgrades may be purchased from the Guest Services Desk (Pursers Desk) However. . . those usually are at a much higher cost than the Pier Coordinator.

While the Ship is at the Pier. . .It belongs to Miami, and when the ship leaves the dock any upgrade would be a part of the Ship's Onboard Revenue. (profit )

UPDATE

This was also posted to the same thread:

:

:

Originally Posted by cruiseloverandagent viewpost.gif

Anyone can upgrade on any ship. It's a first come/first serve kind of thing.

The prices vary by ship/cruise length.

cruiseloverandagent is a pier coordinator in Galveston. ;)

pier coordinators work for a ground handler company, the same as the check in agent and anyone you see while at the pier for embark/disembarkation.

Part of our job is to process someone who wants to upgrade

May I add that question and your posting answer in the above post of mine, or just leave it in this whole link?

Thanks,

Alexis

Ericka,

Are those prices similar to the Voyager prices? I currently have a balcony and I may want to upgrade to a suite.

Thanks,

Gary

Yes those prices are for a 7 day cruise its been posted.

.... Im not sure who Ericka is that you were asking, sorry if you were only addressing someone else. I did also post the link and prices above. Had the link saved in my favorites.

pier coordinators work for a ground handler company, the same as the check in agent and anyone you see while at the pier for embark/disembarkation.

I'm still a little bit confused as to the Port Coordinator position. From what I understand so far this person is like ground control at a airport. But how is this person able to sell upgrades? Wouldn't Royal Caribbean want that person to come to the Guest Relation area and try and charge them more?

I'm still a little bit confused as to the Port Coordinator position. From what I understand so far this person is like ground control at a airport. But how is this person able to sell upgrades? Wouldn't Royal Caribbean want that person to come to the Guest Relation area and try and charge them more?

What is the guest relation area? Im not familiar with where that is.

The pier co-ordinator is not at the check in desk, you will probably need to ask where they are located as its different at different home ports. As stated above, you need to check in first, and then go to the pier co-ordinator, so best get there early.

I would love to have you explain this in laymans terms.

My impression from RCCL..........is that Pier coordinators have the ability to sell upgrades if they are available on the ship.

Are you saying this is not so????

Please reply.

Rick

I would love to have you explain this in laymans terms.

My impression from RCCL..........is that Pier coordinators have the ability to sell upgrades if they are available on the ship.

Are you saying this is not so????

Please reply.

Rick

This is what was posted in answer to another question on another posting.

The ship therefore can sell it at a higher price.

Those Upgrades may be purchased from the Guest Services Desk (Pursers Desk)

However. . . those usually are at a much higher cost than the Pier Coordinator.

While the Ship is at the Pier. . .It belongs to Miami, and when the ship leaves the dock any upgrade would be a part of the Ship's Onboard Revenue. (profit )

This is from Radio.

RCI Upgrades - (Those are the prices from the Pier Coordinator ONLY. )

From INSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1500

Suite - $1000

Balcony - $600

Outside - $300

Inside - $100

From OUTSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1200

Suite - $700

Balcony - $300

Outside - $100

From BALCONY to

Royal Suite - $1000

Suite - $400

Balcony - $100

From SUITE to

Royal Suite - $800

Suite - $400

Those are the prices from the Pier Coordinator ONLY.

(RCI Revenue Dept (Miami)).

If you board the ship and upgrade at the Guest Relation

desks (On Board SHIP revenue Dept.) . . . the price you

would pay is usually MUCH Higher.

Here is a reminder. . . You must check in fully at the

check in desk, and when they hand you your Sea Pass

card. . .then it is OK to go to the Pier Coordinator to

inquire about an upgrade.

Another posting by CC Radio.

The regular Check In Counters at the Pier are for the Ships' Network(ex: Liberty of the Seas).

The Pier Coordinator will have a list of how many and what type of Cabins that were unbooked prior to the Sail date.

The pier coordinator is UNABLE to check in your Set Sail Pass. You must check in FIRST. . .then you can ask to speak to the Pier Coordinator.

The No-Shows (Customers who are booked, but never show up at the pier)are handle differently. . .

I am hoping the agent comes back to explain better than me. :D

But the agent sells them cheaper than the ship because they are docked at the pier.

The ship is out to make profit.. ;)

Different ships, different ports, different prices. From what I believe I understand.

Yes those prices are for a 7 day cruise its been posted.

.... Im not sure who Ericka is that you were asking, sorry if you were only addressing someone else. I did also post the link and prices above. Had the link saved in my favorites.

Hello FireFly,

Ericka is cruiseloveragent and she works at the Galveston pier.

Those prices are from Feb 2008 so I was wanting to know if they still stand a year + later?

Some of the words were cut off of Radios posting in my last post. ;)

Those Upgrades may be purchased from the Guest Services Desk (Pursers Desk) However. . . those usually are at a much higher cost than the Pier Coordinator.

While the Ship is at the Pier. . .It belongs to Miami, and when the ship leaves the dock any upgrade would be a part of the Ship's Onboard Revenue. (profit ;) )

Ericka,

Are those prices similar to the Voyager prices? I currently have a balcony and I may want to upgrade to a suite.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary, call the folks who processed the voucher for the cruise...they also have a flat upgrade list where you may be able to get an upgrade over the phone tomorrow...better than waiting until the cruise.

Guest relations has a million other things to do on turnaround day than to mess with upgrades.

Pier Coordinators (glorified check in agent) are authorized to sell them at the pier for a set price for Royal Caribbean.

Rubrrick: you have it right, we do sell any available upgrades.

Gary: The prices are similar to that. I don't remember off hand as in the last year and half we have never had an upgrade available. Our sign is collecting dust :D

Alexis: You can go ahead and do what you want with my answer above, I'm not picky :p. As long as the all the info is there, I'm happy.

In Barcelona for a 12 night cruise, we paid $400 total for a balcony cabin. We originally had an inside cabin.

Wow, that's encouraging! $400 is reasonable! We're traveling the med in April on the Brilliance and have been watching for price drops--none so far. If there are cabins available after we check-in, we would love to upgrade from our inside to a balcony! Will certainly be on the look-out for the pier coordinator in Barcelona :) Thanks again for this info and thread.

cruiseloverandagent...... Would you know what an upgrade would be on a 4 day Monarch from an inside and either oceanview or other cabin? Also would you be able to offer any advise as to how often upgrades are available and how soon one would need to be at the port to get the upgrade? I know there are variable so I will not fuss at you if I am not able to get this on our April 13 cruise.

One last question if I may. Hopefully you have some statistics...... What would be the chance of getting such an upgrade on a late season Alaska Cruise.... Radiance

Thanks for any advise/help you are able to offer.

Archived