? regarding # of seats per fare....

MamaParrotHead

I'm looking to buy 6 seats MLI to FLL or MIA. When I search looking for 1-2 tickets, I can find the flights/times at the price I want. Any number more than 2 and the price goes up considerably.

My question is...can I book 3 sets of 2 seats at that fare? I don't want to get the first 2 sets booked and be unable to get the 2nd set on the same flight.

Does that even make any sense? LOL Many thanks for any input.

It depends on the airline. Are you trying to book directly with the airline or through a travel site (expedia, travelocity, etc.)?

Check the terms and conditions, but most agencies (and airlines) allow you to cancel a ticket within 24 hours of purchase for not penalty. If you are charged a booking fee (for example Cheap Tickets usually charges $5 per ticket) that fee is not refunded.

You have a few options though. You can call the airline directly to see if you can get the same price for all tickets. Or you can try to book the tickets in sets of two. If you can't get everyone at the lower cost you can cancel and only be out any booking fees (remember, check the terms and conditions first to make sure you can do this).

Good luck!

What is happening is there are probably only 2 seats at that lower fare. When you try to search for 6 seats, it's giving you the cheapest block of fares that has enough availability for 6 seats.

You can still get everyone on the same flight, but not all at the lower price, by booking 2 people at the lower price, then book the other 4 at the higher price.

That would be quite helpful and greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to fly 11/27/09, any time, from MLI to MIA or FLL.

Looking to return 12/6/09, has to be after noon, from either FLL or MIA to MLI, I know there's a flight with a 8:00 pm arrival in MLI and another with like an 8:55 pm arrival.

I really appreciate it. I just want to get this all nailed down ASAP.

Thanks.

I used ITA, which is a fare finder/comparison site, and can see 6 seats on Delta, leaving MLI to FLL on 11/27 in the afternoon, and returning from FLL at 4:15 PM on 12/6, arriving MLI at 8:55, for $337 each. You connect in Atlanta both ways.

I can also see availability for 6 on Northwest, same days, but arriving in FLL at midnight the first night, price $300. Via Detroit outbound, Memphis return. In late November I'd probably try to avoid Detroit due to weather uncertainties.

To book 6, you'll probably need to phone the airlines directly, rather than booking on line, although you might try booking 4 adults and 2 seniors (same prices) to see if that might work.

To book 6, you'll probably need to phone the airlines directly, rather than booking on line, although you might try booking 4 adults and 2 seniors (same prices) to see if that might work.

I think some of the airlines currently charge for bookiing via telephone. Further, if the senior rate is not applicable to anyone in the party of 6, I don't think it's appropriate/ethical/moral to book in that manner.

I appreciate the help. The fares I'm currently considering are $268 per person, anything over the $275 mark and I'll just continue to wait it out. I recently got an email with a fare special from MLI to either MIA or FLL, for around $210, though it was for travel to be completed by August, I believe. I know I'm looking at holiday travel prices, but would still like to keep the fares in that ballpark.

It didn't occur to me to mention it in my earlier post, but 3/6 fares are for kids (4, 6 and 10) so arriving anywhere at midnight isn't the optimal situation, and neither would be finding a way to spend the day, other than in the airport, with everyone being exhausted after a week + of fun and sun.

And I did call Delta today, and she did say that if she helped me book it would be an extra $20 pp on top of the fare being charged online.

Just a little side note I have been watching fares for our cruise some time and I have booked one way each way and it was a little bit cheaper. I was able to be a little flexible on my return flight which helped me out but also look at one way fares for the trip.

Did a little poking around on ExpertFlyer....found that the best "fare" listed between MLI and FLL/MIA is a UR14A0NJ into MIA and UN14NRXL or UA07A0NJ into FLL.

Those are the fare basis codes that show up for under $300. All other DL fares codes are higher priced. Now, given that - which flights show "U" availability between MLI and either FLL or MIA??

Outbound, I'm seeing plenty of U availability on this:

DL 5494 MLI - ATL 10:20 AM/1:13 PM

Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9

DL 2041 ATL - FLL 2:35 PM/4:21 PM

F9 A9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9

Returning is more problematic. Only finding 4 "U" seats for sale on this:

DL (NW) 4099 FLL-MEM 4:32 PM/5:55 PM

F9 A7 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L4 U4 T4

DL (NW) 2496 MEM-MLI 6:45 PM/8:05 PM

Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L4 U4 T4

Looks as though you have two situations to consider. Either buy the four seats in "U" now and buy the other two seats in "L" (a higher fare), or wait and hope that there will be availability added to those flights down the road.

FWIW, the other flight combinations that day look to be already sold out in those lower fare buckets. As you were talking about DL, that was the only thing I researched at this time. Also, did not go for actual all-in pricing via the DL website.

You might want to sign up for a month's worth of service at ExpertFlyer ($10) so that you can readily check bucket availability on all flights that would get you from/to MLI.

I appreciate the help. The fares I'm currently considering are $268 per person, anything over the $275 mark and I'll just continue to wait it out. I recently got an email with a fare special from MLI to either MIA or FLL, for around $210, though it was for travel to be completed by August, I believe. I know I'm looking at holiday travel prices, but would still like to keep the fares in that ballpark.

You've got to be realistic. Airlines aren't going to put sale fares on during holiday travel season. Whilst waiting around for a drop in price that may never happen the cheaper tickets will more likely disappear. If you were looking at $500 pp at the moment then you might be wise to hold out, but for the sake of $60 a person it seems a little risky.

Have you tried looking out of Chicago instead? A bit of a drive but worth a punt.

Well, I have been tracking this week for the past year. And although I know with the economy the way it is, the specific stats might not be accurate, I have to think the fact that we're in a 'recession' right now, with news stories left and right about how air travel is suffering, I'd atleast be able to get a comparable price to the prices I have data for. No? I have that week as low as $189, $230, $198 before it started going up in late June last year (the highest I have it is $375 last year). Does that mean anything (and I'm not being saracastic, I honestly don't know if it does or not)?

And we had looked at Chicago, but the price differential for staying pre and/or post cruise overnight, plus meals and gas OR driving home 4 hours after not even arriving in Chicago until 8 or 9 at night after the long trip doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks for that info, FT. I know you don't like to speculate on airfare, but I'm just curious (due to the fact you know a LOT more about how this whole game is played) as to what YOU would do if you were me. ???
I would assume that fares are unlikely to go down as people start making holiday plans, especially with Delta and Northwest being the main players on that route (they're merging and it's anybody's guess which routes will be "rationalized" or have service reductions or changes.)

So I'd bite the bullet now, buy the cheapest tickets you can, and then focus on getting hotel, rental car, or other deals to compensate. You might Priceline some rooms in FLL for example, or make double sure you're getting the best deal possible on the cruise (including perks your TA might be able to swing for you - onboard credit, etc.) Also sign up at Yapta and look at the fare alerts and refund services offered there. http://www.yapta.com/how/#buy

Yes, there might be a sale at a later date. But your biggest issue is that you will still be trying to get 6 seats in that fare block. Even if there is a sale, you may only be able to get it for part of your group - and the other fares may be higher than what you can get right now.

Only you can decide how much the chance of a sale at a later date is worth the risk but if you absolutely have to be on the same flights remember that you are likely to encounter this same issue on any flight you try. If you were a party of 2 or 4, it would be different but the larger your group, the more likelihood that you might get blocked out of all being on the same flight the longer you wait.

especially with Delta and Northwest being the main players on that route (they're merging and it's anybody's guess which routes will be "rationalized" or have service reductions or changes.)

Any thoughts on what happens if I book now and they eliminate, or make changes to, the flight that wouldn't work for me?

Any thoughts on what happens if I book now and they eliminate, or make changes to, the flight that wouldn't work for me?

If they cancel your flight or change the schedule drastically (more than a few minutes), you will have the opportunity to switch to another flight on their airline or cancel for a full refund.

I wouldn't be counting on the recession if you are hoping for lower fares than what already seems to be pretty decent fares. The airlines can just as easily park planes, lay off staff or redeploy the fleet to other routes. With this credit market, they aren't going to be able to run the endless losses they always seem to do. If it's going to cost them $100k/month to park the plane, or they fly it and lose $200k/month, they are just as likely to park it.

What I would do is grab the 4 seats at the cheaper fare, then try again for the other 2 and see what comes up even if it takes a couple days. A couple years ago, I tried to get 4 of us tickets from Detroit to LA. I had the same problem with the higher fares when I put 4 in instead of 2. So I bought tickets for my wife and I first. Then I tried for our friends, and sure enough, got the same fare. So, on that particular day, on that particular flight, Northwest's computer wanted to keep a certain number of seats in that fare bucket

Also curious as to whether you guys think that there is a decent possibility that fares being released the end of this month, beginning of next month by Air Tran (would that be when Southwest may be releasing their next batch as well? not that I could fly them), but didn't know if it might effect rates in general?

The low fares last fall and winter will probably not repeat. Airlines had already committed their Q3/Q4/Q1 ops and fleet plan and ended up with a capacity glut when the economy went from sick to sicker. If you follow the airline industry or financial press, the airlines were going to react to this by parking more aircraft after the holidays. That is happening; a few weeks ago I drove past 2 airports in the California desert that are used for airliner storage...there were a lot more mothballed planes than I saw on my last trip in September.

The airlines goal is to fly fewer passengers at higher profit margins. Buy your tickets while they are still fine tuning their business model.

Caveat: Only you can decide when to buy, none of us have a crystal ball. My financial advisor can suggest stock buys but is making at best an educated guess.

I'm looking at Delta...booking though the website. I'll pop over and look around for cancellation policies. Thanks.

The lower priced seats are always capacity controlled. There may be only 2 seats left at the lower price on that flight.

For a large group like yours, you'd be better off calling directly. The agent you speak with has the capability to break the inventory and give you all the lower priced seats.....in most cases.

Archived