Cruise Review - VOYAGER of The Seas (March 1st - 8th, 2009)

ckl

PART 1 of 10

The following is the overall itinerary:

Feb 27th and 28th (Friday and Saturday) - Pre cruise at San Luis Resort in Galveston

March 1st (Sunday) - 1st day of Cruise - Galveston

March 2nd (Monday) - Sea Day

March 3rd (Tuesday) - Cozumel, Mexico

March 4th (Wednesday) - George Town, Grand Cayman

March 5th (Thursday) - Montego Bay, Jamaica

March 6th (Friday) - Sea Day

March 7th (Saturday - Sea Day

March 8th (Sunday) - Debarkation - Galveston

It was the fourth cruise for DH Arn and I which have made us Platinum (we stayed in a JS on our Empress cruise last year earning us an extra credit).

This review is my very first one and I have to apologize ahead of time for the poor quality of some of the photos I had taken. It's embarrassing to admit that I've had my camera for almost 2 years now and still have not finished reading its manual. Also, this report is very long. I hope though that someone would find this review helpful in planning their next cruise.

February 27th and 28th - To GALVESTON (via Houston), SAN LUIS RESORT, GALVESTON DINING

This cruise would be the 3rd time cruising with our dear friends: Colette, Rebecca and her DH Blake. We'd met them on our Radiance cruise thru Cruise Critic and have become “cruising families” since then. Thank you Cruise Critic!

To start this cruise, all 5 of us flew in to Houston 2 days before for pre cruise celebrations in Galveston. Colette, Arn and I took Air Canada flight landing in Houston just after 11 am (Rebecca and Blake arrived 30 minutes later from Maryland). We collected our luggage, then met with our limo driver from AJ Limousines who arrived very promptly (the fee for the 3 of us was $175 tip included, from Houston IAH Airport to San Luis Resort on the Seawall area of Galveston). It was a smooth ride and the traffic was light. We arrived at San Luis Resort ( www.sanluisresort.com) before 2 pm and was immediately checked in. San Luis Resort is beautiful with friendly and efficient staff. This resort is a destination by itself. Its grounds are lovely; the pool with a swim up bar, and the hot tub with the waterfall in the background are splendid! The bar area was satisfactory, and the outdoor fireplace with comfortable sitting areas around was captivating. Our very spacious bedroom with a King bed on the 9th floor was nicely furnished, spotless and quite charming. The great view of the Gulf was another plus. San Luis Resort also offers free shuttle to the cruise pier which we had arranged with the Front Desk Rep to pick the 5 of us on Sunday at 11:30 am.

VIEW OF OUR BEDROOM FROM THE FRONT DOOR

IMG_2212.jpg

VIEW OF OUR BEDROOM FROM THE BALCONY

IMG_2220.jpg

BATHROOM

IMG_2217.jpg

VIEW FROM OUR BALCONY - THE GULF AND THE RESORT'S GROUNDS

IMG_2223.jpg

VIEW FROM OUR BALCONY - THE GULF AND SAN LUIS RESORT POOL

IMG_2225.jpg

More of San Luis Resort photos to follow on Parts 2 and 3.

Lita

Thank you for posting this . We got off the Voyager on March 1. :D Our RCCL transfer/tour, took us by this resort, and I wondered how it looked from the inside, because it was beautiful from the outside. ;) That view is awesome!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review. :)

PART 2 of 10

More of San Luis Resort Pics

SAN LUIS RESORT'S FRONT STEPS

IMG_2275.jpg

SAN LUIS RESORT'S FOYER

IMG_2274.jpg

OUTDOOR FIREPLACE BY THE BAR

IMG_2271.jpg

"LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!" (From L-R: Blake, Colette, Rebecca, Lita, Arn)

IMG_2241.jpg

POOL

IMG_2267.jpg

SWIM UP POOL BAR

IMG_2270.jpg

More San Resort pics to follow on Part 3.

Lita

PART 3 of 10

More Pics of San Luis Resort

POOL CABANAS FOR RENT

IMG_2264.jpg

THE INSIDE OF A CABANA

IMG_2265.jpg

POOL

IMG_2242.jpg

HOT TUBS BY THE WATERFALL

IMG_2268.jpg

Galveston Dining and The Strand in Downtown Galveston to follow on Part 4.

Lita

Thank you for posting this . We got off the Voyager on March 1. :D Our RCCL transfer/tour, took us by this resort, and I wondered how it looked from the inside, because it was beautiful from the outside. ;) That view is awesome!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review. :)

Thanks! We'll definitely stay at San Luis Resort again the next time we sail out of Galveston. We loved it there! :)

PART 4 of 10

Galveston Dining, The Strand in Downtown Galveston

That Friday night, we went to Saltgrass Steak House for dinner (http://www.saltgrass.com). Arn and I each had the 12 oz Rib Eye steak, our friends had the Filet Mignon and the Gulf Coast Steak & Shrimp. Those dishes were all superb, plus the delicious Caesar salad and Shiner Bock Beer Bread that came with our entrees. We all felt quite full after that we didn't order dessert.

The next afternoon (Saturday), we took a taxi to visit the historic Strand district. The taxi drivers we had that day and the day before talked about how they and countless Galvestonians were severely affected by Hurricane Ike (many precious lives were lost). Walking on The Strand and shopping in its stores was delightful, even with the remaining evidence of the devastation caused by Ike.

Our taxi fare for the 5 of us each way was $20 tip included (San Luis Resort to Saltgrass Steak House, San Luis Resort to the Strand).

THE STRAND, IN DOWNTOWN GALVESTON

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IKE WATER LINE ON THE STRAND

IMG_2287.jpg

We walked over to the Fisherman's Wharf, next to the Strand, to have our dinner (22 Pier, Galveston - Phone 409-765-5708). For starters, Arn and Blake had ordered a dozen oysters each which they liked and I had the crab and lobster bisque which was alright. Rebecca and Colette had the salad. Everyone completely enjoyed their entrees: Red Snapper for Arn, Colette and I each had the Fish Market Platter (the best crab cakes I've ever had, succulent pan seared scallops, white fish, veggies, yummy rice), Fried Scallops for Rebecca and Chilean Sea Bass for Blake. We were all filled up by these scrumptious entrees that we had to forego dessert.

THE FISHERMAN’S WHARF

IMG_2303.jpg

For breakfasts on Feb 28th and March 1st, we all walked over to IHOP next door. All I can say is that I wish we have IHOP close by where we live. The nearest one in Ontario is in Niagara Falls, which is 3 hours away from us.

Part 5 to follow - Embarkation Day

Lita

PART 5 of 10

March 1st - Sunday - EMBARKATION DAY

Sunday morning came and we were all en route to the cruise pier via the resort’s complimentary shuttle. Handing over our luggage to RCL's baggage handlers didn't take long, security and check in process easily done.

Our confirmed reservations at Portofino’s were erroneously handled by RCL (an RCL rep emailed and also phoned all of us several days before, apologizing for the mistake). No problem for us, we just went to Portofino’s right after boarding the Voyager and got our first pick of day and time (Tuesday, March 3rd at 7:30 pm).

Afterwards, we went to the Main Dining Room (MDR) on deck 3 to check our seating arrangement. We were all pleased to see that Colette’s TA came through for us (she requested a round dining table) and our table was in a lovely spot on the Carmen Dining Room on deck 3. Our group then had our first drinks at the Pig and Whistle, very enjoyable.

Our cabin was available at 1 pm and there we met our very efficient Stateroom Attendant, Arnold from the Philippines. We did the muster drill at 4:30 pm and the sail away after, then went back to our cabin to unpack.

We didn't get the usual chocolates on our pillows each night. Also, we had to pick up our beach towels from the pool. No problem for us. These changes do not lessen, IMO, the wonderful cruise experience we consistently have with RCL. And if these minor changes will help keep RCL afloat in these very tough economic times, then, I am all for it.

ARNOLD, OUR STATEROOM ATTENDANT

IMG_2532.jpg

OUR D2 BALCONY CABIN # 9288

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

We had second seating and we met the rest of our other dining party that night. It was so much pleasure dining with these ladies that by the end of our cruise, we all have become good friends.

Our Waiter was Donald from Jamaica; he was excellent! As for Palaram, the Assistant Waiter who was new and I believe he is from India, I’d like to say that with Donald taking him under his wing and his obvious willingness to learn, Palaram will soon be very accomplished in his work.

The Head Waiter, I believe his name is Melvin from the Philippines, also was excellent. He was very visible, interacting with dining guests, even offered to peel the rest of the shells from my shrimps.

Suffice it to say, we had consistent “royal” dining experience each night of our cruise.

MAIN DINING ROOM

IMG_2323.jpg

(From L-R: PALARAM and DONALD)

IMG_2548.jpg

Part 6 to follow.

Lita

PART 6 of 10

March 2nd, Monday - SEA DAY

The ship Voyager of the Seas is beautiful and quite extensive. Rebecca sums it up when she said that even with its near capacity of over 3000, it never seemed crowded. I specially like its Royal Promenade.

THE ROYAL PROMENADE

IMG_2527.jpg

Our Cruise Critic group had arranged to meet at the Schooner Bar at 10:20 am in preparation for the Cabin and Poker Crawl. It was good to finally meet these nice folks who I'd been chatting with for some time.

The organizing of the Cabin/Poker Crawl took a little bit of time so we proceeded to the High Notes Lounge where the official Meet and Mingle get together was going to be held. The Cruise Director was the emcee and he was very witty! Small prizes were given away: RCL key chains, pens, photo frame, etc. The grand prize was an RCL computer mouse. Also, sandwiches and drinks (water and lemonade) were made available.

After the M&M party, we proceeded to do the Cabin and Poker Crawl. We visited a variety of cabins: JS (Junior Suite) Aft, JS Hump, Balcony, Promenade and an Inside. The JS Aft has this incredible view of the wake from the ship; lovely. Oh, the size of the balcony is huge. No wonder these aft balconies sell out first (Note: For some, the extra motion/rocking on the aft lulls them to sleep; I‘m not sure though for someone like me who has to constantly wear sea bands or take Gravol Ginger). As for the Promenade and the Inside cabins, those were nice looking too and there’s ample space IMO. Also, in the Promenade cabin, you can people watch from your window, an added bonus.

We ended our Cabin and Poker Crawl back at the Schooner Bar. Our friendly Cruise Critic group was fun to be with and Arn and I hope to bump into them in our future cruises.

CRUISE CRITIC MEET AND MINGLE GROUP AT THE SCHOONER BAR

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

PROMENADE CABIN

IMG_2336.jpg

INSIDE CABIN

IMG_2337.jpg

That afternoon, Arn and I did the wine tasting. Arn enjoys his liquors but I drink very little alcohol. We were seated with friendly folks from what I can remember were from Kansas City and Wichita. We all had fun and my favourite Riesling was one of the types of wine we’d tasted. I was surprised that I actually enjoyed the experience and would most probably do that again on our future cruises.

Later, Arn and I and our friends went to Studio B to watch the amazing Ice Show. It was the only show we attended during our cruise and it was well worth seeing!

Formal Night Photo

IMG_2533.jpg

Part 7 to follow - Cozumel (Playa Uvas, Cozumel Pier Area)

Lita

PART 7 of 10

March 3rd, Tuesday - COZUMEL (PLAYA UVAS, COZUMEL PIER)

At 9 am, the 5 of us took a 10 minute taxi ride ($20 tip included) to Playa Uvas (http://www.playauvas.com). We had all inclusive reservations arranged months before and Carmen was there to welcome us. It was quite windy that day that but we still had a lovely time. Rebecca and Blake snorkelled and they said it was good.

A couple from our Cruise Critic group got married at Playa Uvas while we were there. It was good to witness such a happy occasion!

Playa Uvas was a charming spot to relax, do some snorkelling, enjoy their delicious lunch and drinks. We could not use their clear kayaks because of high winds (they refunded our money accordingly). The staff was good especially our waiter Onassis. As soon as we finish our drinks, Onassis would immediately ask what drink we’d like to have next. Very attentive!

PLAYA UVAS

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

We took a taxi back to the ship (there were several taxis waiting right outside Playa Uvas).

COZUMEL PIER AREA

The area around the Cozumel pier is quite nice. There’s plenty of shopping and one lively bar at least. We saw a pretty beach area with lounge chairs, and hammocks under palapa huts. Those I guess are available for a certain fee.

AT COZUMEL PORT

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

Part 8 to follow - Portofino's

Lita

PART 8 of 10

March 3rd Tuesday (Continued) PORTOFINO’S

We had dinner at Portofino’s that night (a specialty restaurant, $20/pp dining fee). Our waiters were superb (I think their names are Eddie and Joe). The grilled skewered lobster, shrimps, salmon and scallops were very delicious this time. I had the same entree on our cruise 3 months ago on the Adventure and it was overdone. For dessert, I had the sampler and especially enjoyed the Tiramisu. The white chocolate that I had enjoyed so much on our AOS cruise was what Rebecca called "gummy". All in all, I would pay the extra charge to dine there again. The service was always impeccable, ambiance was quite pleasing, food presentation very enticing, and the dishes mostly gratifying.

AT PORTOFINO’S

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

Lita

PART 8A of 10

March 4th, Wednesday - GRAND CAYMAN

This is painful to write but here goes ...

Since our group signed up on a ship excursion, we were the first ones to board the tender boat to go ashore. Tragically, while we were on our "Catamaran Sail and Snorkel" excursion, one of our tour mates suffered a medical emergency. Out of respect for her and her family and friends, I choose not to expand on what happened but instead, offer our heartfelt prayers for her and her loved ones.

Lita

PART 9 of 10

March 5th, Thursday - Montego Bay, JAMAICA (Dunn's River Falls)

Of all the islands we had visited, I had the most difficulty in deciding what to do in Jamaica. I’d wanted to see the Dunn’s River Falls but the 1-1/2 hour bus ride one way was a turn off. But then, we’d done several land tours in Europe and we had to ride a coach bus for hours at a time to see the sites and I remember the bus rides were quite nice. So Arn and I signed up for the ship’s excursion Dunn's River Falls Tour - MJ03 and we are very glad we did!

Our tour guide Debbie was quite good. She was very informative and pointed out many sights worth noting. To us, it didn’t seem that the drive was long at all. The bus was comfortable and the sceneries were pleasing. We saw many huge beautiful resorts. The condition of the roads were good and there were no forested areas that we drove through.

We arrived at Dunn’s River Falls (DRF) and Debbie turned us over to the DRF guides. I didn’t feel comfortable climbing the Falls (I’m horribly, horribly afraid of heights). Arn went with his group to walk down to the bottom of the Falls to start the climb. His group had 2 guides, Norman “Big Daddy” and Orville, and 1 videographer . I positioned myself with the camera 25% up the Falls to take photos of my darling‘s adventure. There’s a wide set of steps adjacent to the Falls and it is ideal for whoever who’s not comfortable with the actual climb. I was quite happy being on the stairs, taking photos of this beautiful, breathtaking Falls when one of the guides, Norman “Big Daddy”, saw me and reassured me that I would have no difficulty climbing the Falls and that he’ll help me get out whenever I feel that I have had enough of it. So I did and was I ever glad! It was the most adventurous thing I’ve ever done and it was soooo much fun! Norman or Orville would lead holding my hand and I would hold on to Arn with my other hand. They were most helpful! Also, Norman had my camera and took many wonderful photos of Arn and I and our great adventure at this magnificent Falls.

AT DUNN'S RIVER FALLS (DRF)

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

(FROM L-R: ORVILLE, LITA, ARN, and NORMAN "BIG DADDY")

IMG_2507-1.jpg

In appreciation of their kindness and assistance, we tried to be generous in tipping our amazing Falls guides. Some tour members didn’t have any cash with them (Arn and I had Royal’s waterproof case around our necks to keep cash, seapass and visa cards dry). From what I had seen, the guides were equally courteous to them and very grateful for our group’s visit to their island. One incident happened that could have been distressing: After tipping our Fall’s guides, I forgot to close my waterproof case and proceeded to walk towards the gate. I could have easily lost my seapass and visa cards and $65 except that another DRF guide pointed it out to me. I thanked him and that event added to our wonderful experience at the spectacular Dunn’s River Falls.

I’d recommend getting the $40 video if you can afford it. You’ll see yourselves on this video many, many times doing this great adventure laughing, or smiling at least. Just make sure that at the end of the climb, you order it from the right videographer (try to remember his name and face, he’ll be videotaping your adventure even before you start the climb). Also, if you can, say “Ya Man” each time he zooms in on you.

My husband said that the very beginning of the climb was the most challenging. Please do not wear flip flops or sandals in climbing the Falls; wear WATER SHOES. We brought ours but one can rent those water shoes at the Falls for $7, $17 to buy. Also, please stay with your guides and group; there was no way I could have climbed DFR without our reliable guides.

We did not encounter any aggressive vendors at all (we walked back the way we came in).

Afterwards, we were driven not too far to Island Village for a buffet luncheon at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Restaurant. It was delicious and quite filling.

Our bus had a mechanical problem driving out of Ocho Rios. Within 5 minutes, another tour bus came and we were on our way back to the pier.

The next time we visit Jamaica, we will climb the Falls again.

Our friends Rebecca and Blake did the ship’s canopy/zip line tour and had a blast! Colette did the “Cruise, Beach and Fun ” ship’s excursion and had a great time! They also didn’t encounter any aggressive vendors although one cab driver did try to sell Rebecca and Blake some hooch... but they politely told him no. On the way back to the pier, Blake was stopped and bodily checked by Jamaican Security Officers checking for drugs. That must have been unnerving! Everything considered though, they still plan to go back to beautiful Jamaica again !

Only the last part (#10) to go and this review is finished!

Lita

PART 10 of 10

March 6th, Friday - SEA DAY

We had an appointment with the Loyalty Ambassador at 10 am to reserve our group’s next cruise, our fourth cruise together. Beforehand, we had talked about wanting to cruise the Med and the Greek Isles. Now, 5 of us are booked to sail on the Brilliance OTS 12 Night Mediterranean Greek Isles - October 18th, 2010 out of Barcelona. Yay !!!!!

Lunch that day was at Johnny Rockets (we had used our C&A coupon). To seat the 5 of us together, our waiter had placed a chair at the end of our table. It worked out well. There was enough space on the aisle for people to go by, even when a woman on a wheelchair had to pass through. What I can remember from our lunch were the onion rings. Those were fried but not greasy.

For breakfasts and lunches on the other sea days, we invariably went to the Windjammer or the Main Dining Room. Both were good; the dining room has better service and atmosphere. One suggestion: When you enter the Windjammer, veer to the buffet on your left. Basically same dishes are offered there but with lesser crowds.

March 7th, Saturday - SEA DAY

Our group mostly hung around the pool area that day. Very relaxing!

That night, it was time to say goodbye and acknowledge our hardworking and capable staff who helped make it possible for us to have a splendid cruise. As well, it was time to bid goodbye to our delightful tablemates. We have become friends by the end of this cruise that addresses, phone numbers and email addresses were exchanged and we all made plans to cruise together in the future.

March 8th, Sunday - DEBARKATION DAY and Tour of GALVESTON and HOUSTON

Leaving the ship was quite smooth except for those cruisers whose purchased liquor was held by RCL for pick up on the morning of debarkation day. Colette was one of them and she said it was a zoo; people were on the line for at least an hour. RCL need to do something to rectify that procedure.

On arranging our departing flight, I had chosen the 5:15 flight so Arn and I could sign up on the ship’s excursion “Galveston/Houston City Tour - GA04” since we’ve never been to Houston or Galveston before. I am sure glad we did! We completely enjoyed our tour, starting with driving through the Strand and its historic districts, some with beautiful Victorian architecture. We drove through River Oakes, Houston’s most exclusive neighbourhood. Those homes were gorgeous and definitely worth seeing! We visited the Rocket Park at NASA Johnson Space Center, a highlight of our tour.

THE ROCKET PARK/ NASA JOHNSON SPACE CENTER

IMG_2560-1.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

We drove by Texas Medical Center, Hermann Park, and then on to downtown Houston. I liked driving thru its museum and theatre districts; quite impressive.

That day being Sunday, downtown Houston was quiet and traffic was light. Our guide, Carolyn was knowledgeable and competent in what she does.

The rest of our drive went smoothly and we were some of the first passengers to be dropped off at IAH Houston Terminal A airport. I must say that I like Terminal A; it is quite easy to navigate, the facilities satisfactory, and the staff adequate.

We landed in Toronto on a rainy night, had a long wait for our luggage to arrive. It was alright though, considering that many flights with several hundreds of passengers landed within a few minutes of ours. On our drive home, which is approx 90 kms northeast of Toronto, the rain turned into freezing rain. We arrived at our home, sweet home with our vehicle coated with ice but happy and healthy.

Lita

Lita,

Thank you SO much for such a thorough review and for all of the pictures!! My husband and I are planning a cruise on Voyager, out of Galveston, on a slightly different itinerary, for next year.

I can't wait to read through your review again, a little more carefully and maybe ask a few questions! :p

I hope the person on the snorkeling trip is OK.

Wonderful review and beautiful photographs! Thank you so much for sharing your cruise and photos with us. I will be on this same itinerary in a few weeks and plan to visit Dunn's River Falls. I can't wait! :)

Thank you Lita for a wonderful review! I thoroughly enjoyed your photos! It looks like you and your travel-mates had a wonderful trip. We are sailing on the Voyager in May, and this has given me a little taste of what to expect.

Thanks again~ :)

Looks like y'all had a wonderful time. Only 3.5 weeks before I am back on VOTS for the itent y'all sailed. It was a lot of fun to sail the other route, but it will be more fun for me at least to make this route since it gets me back to Grand Cayman.

Thank you Lita for such a lovely review. The pictures made it truly the next best thing to being there. Please come back to Texas again. I too hope your snorkeling companion is alright. I see many of my fellow 4/12'rs have posted - we are definitely in the throes of Pre Cruise Anticipation. :)

Hello there,

Thank you for writing in your thoughts regarding my review. It was a pleasure reading your feedbacks; you all have made my day.

Lita

Archived