I Will Not Over Pack...I Will Not Over Pack

The name of the thread made me laugh out loud. Just today while packing I was thinking I was packing way too much for dh and I, BUT, you just never know what you will need, so why not take it with you anyway, may come in handy. Like was said before, I am a "what if" packer.

Well last cruise I packed sweater and jackets and we were leaving from Miami but it turned out to be a smart move as it was 44 degrees there in January and the first few days it was freezing and then I forgot my underpants so we had to go looking in Curacao, got some really nice ones, you never know

I have just returned from 28 days, Sydney - Singapore on the Queen Victoria (our first cruise).... And did we overpack! As we had 3 cold ports amongst the hot and humid Asian ports, I had to ensure we had 'hot & cold' clothes. We both had clothes we didnt wear!

But to make matters worse, we were restricted to 20Kilos in 1 bag each of luggage for the flight home to Sydney.

The way we overcame this was to post home our excess from Singapore. The Post Office did a great trade, 2 cardboard boxes of approx 15 kilos each box at $65 a box. Had to be cheaper than excess baggage! We were still 5 kilos over, but we weren't charged! Lucky they didnt weigh our hand luggage!!

regards

Sharon

What a great thread. I'm packing for a 16 day cruise(our first).Ft Lld/Panama Canel/San Diego. Leaving in 20 days. I made my list and I keeping changing things. I even had my DD come over and go over my choices. She made me put a few things back in the closet. This is what I have so far.Bottoms- 3 pr of pants and 3 pr carpi (I don't wear shorts) 2 skirts. the formal stuff is all set (2 outfits for 4 nights) . Its the tops that I'm worried about. I'm bringing mostly tanks and a few over shirts, nicer ones for evening and more casual for day. Along with swimsuit, cover up, and lingerie and shoes (having a problem here) :rolleyes:. When I look at my list I think yikes! legal size yellow paper 2 columns all the way down. Should I bring a white tank for day and another nice one for night---and so on. I'm adding color with the tops, all the pants are neutral. We are flying in/out to ports. Help..................:eek:

Trust me, my husband can beat all of you.

He winds up packing everything but the kitchen sink, then goes back to see what he can eliminate...ends up unpacking all but 1 shirt but keeps the pants or vice-versa. I have tried packing for him but he always goes back to "fix" it. We went to San Juan a few years ago for a wedding...he wound up with 1 dress shirt for his suit, and 1 polo shirt...and 7 pair of pants (we were gone for 4 days). We went to Mexico and he packed 10 everyday shirts (after he "fixed" my packing) and three pants (no shorts) and no swim trunks - 7 day trip.

I tried packing just 1 suitcase for us twice...both times he unpacked and repacked without my knowing...and left some of my stuff at home.

1st time was a Hawaii trip. We were doing a sunrise volcano excursion so I brought a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt (not heavy). Well, since it was Hawaii he thought I had just forgotten to unpack it from our Alaska trip. I figured, ok, it is Hawaii, and it was our honeymoon so both of us were frazzled a bit. Not to mention I stayed in our honeymoon suite the night before the wedding, so I had no idea what he had done.

Last year he struck again...I didn't realize he had re-packed in the morning. I would up with only one pair of pants packed. No shorts, no capris, just 1 pair of dress slacks. The cruise was to the E. Caribbean... Oh, did he get "the look" a few times that week.

I refuse to have that happen again...especially since this time its for 15 days. Told him I was packing my own suitcase...which he could not touch, nor pack anything in.

Because of that he asked me to build him a database in hopes that it will help him...have a section that asks "packed pants, shirts etc?" and asks for the number he packed. Have another section for him to do a day-to-day wardrobe and then look to see how many of each he really needs to bring. Even have a message that will not allow him to leave anything blank. Will this help him? Yes...until the morning we leave, when he unpacks. I'm just curious to see what he leaves this time.

:rolleyes::)

I think you should just throw his suitcase out the window on the way to the airport. Pack a change of clothes and undies for him in yours and tell him he's buying what he needs on the cruise, LOL.

We took 4 bags on the last cruise. WAY too much. We're doing one big suitcase and one carryon each for 16 days.. Hoping we use most of that space for souvenirs! :)

What I find interesting is the common thought that people will think they need choices when on vacation. People are actually quite adaptable and if you have just a few things, you make it work.

As long as you make smart choices and don't pack like hazeleyez3 husband!

Letting go of the notion that you need these things is a bit scary for the overpacker the first time. After that, you see how simple you can make packing and stop the stress.

I was so proud of myself for not overpacking this cruise... then I was wishing I HAD! The weather was chilly and windy, and I was SO wanting a couple of sweaters! Next time I will pack a few "just in case" items.

Hazeleyez3, get yourself a couple of good strong luggage locks and USE them, girl! :D

I was so proud of myself for not overpacking this cruise... then I was wishing I HAD! The weather was chilly and windy, and I was SO wanting a couple of sweaters! Next time I will pack a few "just in case" items.

You can't win! Either way I figure it's going to be too much or not enough. BTW, were you in the Caribbean when you needed those sweaters?

I'll miss this funny thread for sure! We're off shortly for a 2-week Hawaii trip. I started filling our ONE 25" suitcase several weeks ago and taking a lot of things back out again. DH always waits until the last minute and all his stuff is in there and the case closes easily! This time we're taking our two smallest carry-ons, really small ones, and they too have room left!:D

Aloha to you all!

Hazeleyez3, get yourself a couple of good strong luggage locks and USE them, girl! :D

To me, there is a big difference between overpacking and being prepared. Overpacking is taking 12 pair of shorts with one top each and one pair of shoes for each for a 7 night cruise. Or packing that way for night time.

Packing a sweater for cool weather or one pair of long pants and one long sleeved shirt is not overpacking.

What a great thread. I'm packing for a 16 day cruise(our first).Ft Lld/Panama Canel/San Diego. Leaving in 20 days. I made my list and I keeping changing things. I even had my DD come over and go over my choices. She made me put a few things back in the closet. This is what I have so far.Bottoms- 3 pr of pants and 3 pr carpi (I don't wear shorts) 2 skirts. the formal stuff is all set (2 outfits for 4 nights) . Its the tops that I'm worried about. I'm bringing mostly tanks and a few over shirts, nicer ones for evening and more casual for day. Along with swimsuit, cover up, and lingerie and shoes (having a problem here) :rolleyes:. When I look at my list I think yikes! legal size yellow paper 2 columns all the way down. Should I bring a white tank for day and another nice one for night---and so on. I'm adding color with the tops, all the pants are neutral. We are flying in/out to ports. Help..................:eek:

Hi Sweetpea,

As you are flying in/out of port, i suggest you pack then weigh your luggage on your bathroom scales.

I did this but at the last minute added extras..the 'just in case' items. Big mistake! I forgot about the shopping whilst in Asia!

If you do overpack, there is still the Post Office at the last port. Just remember to post only non essentials home LOL

cheers

sharon

I'll miss this funny thread for sure! We're off shortly for a 2-week Hawaii trip. I started filling our ONE 25" suitcase several weeks ago and taking a lot of things back out again. DH always waits until the last minute and all his stuff is in there and the case closes easily! This time we're taking our two smallest carry-ons, really small ones, and they too have room left!:D

Aloha to you all!

I'm just speechless....ONE suitcase for 2 weeks for 2 people????? Oh my...I'm envious.

When I say "over packed" I mean like our first cruise (7 day) when I came home with more clean clothes than dirty ones:eek:

You can't win! Either way I figure it's going to be too much or not enough. BTW, were you in the Caribbean when you needed those sweaters?

Yes, it was in the Caribbean! Several of the nights were very windy and chilly! Of course I wasn't thinking winter woolies... but a couple of cotton sweaters or long sleeved tees would have made things more comfy. :rolleyes:

Okay, my thoughts. IF you have to fly before you get on your ship then overpacking could be a problem.

On the other hand, if you are driving to your embarkation port, not so much.

On my first cruise (granted, it was pre-911) we still had to fly to Acapulco. Those were the days.. 1 HEAVY bag each along with carry-on. My sis even had a 5 liter box of wine in her bag.

On my second cruise I went with my folks and we left from NYC and drove there. Kind of like a road trip versus a flying trip. We over packed, but weren't worried because airlines were not involved.

So, if you can drive to port embarkation, go ahead and pack all you want (IMHO).

If you must fly, then start cutting back. :)

Good luck and enjoy!

Houndmom - how are y'all doing? Sure wish we were back on the VOS. We had such a good time and our group was largely responsible for that.

Diana & Ken

Hey, girl (and Ken)! I'm missing the laughs at dinner BIG TIME!!!!!

I caught an ugly head cold from some idiot who was sneezing all the way from Houston to ABQ! :mad: Talk about adding insult to injury -- not only do I have Cruise Is Over Syndrome, my nose looks like a tomato! :rolleyes:

John has a speech contest tomorrow, and if he wins, he goes to the state contest in Las Cruces where Ann and Bill live! Wouldn't it be cool if we could see them again?

I am sorta proud of myself for my packing this time. There were only two things I didn't wear, and that was because of the weather. :)

I think I've done it! Tonight I placed everything laid out on the bed into my CARRYON!!! Now, mind you, this does not include my 3-1-1 bag, or my hair dryer, but I really think I can do it--- 7 days. Hmmm, but my fancy dresses will go in suit bag, sunscreen will go in with snorkel stuff, but I still have my purse.

I know this is strange, but I love to pack for cruises. I pick a color scheme and try to stick with that. Last July we went on a Carnival cruise in Canada. My color was "pink." I had a great pink trench coat, straw hat and sandals. I built everything around that. In May we are going on an 11-night Eastern Med. cruise (Celebrity). My color will be "black." I'm building my wardrobe around a black pair of Chico's "travelers" pants and a black travel-friendly skirt from the Traveler's catalogue. I'll pack some beautiful silk scarves and shawls to dress things up. Instead of a trench coat, I'm bringing a black cotton sweater and I have a black crushable straw hat. I've got a lot of bright tops and accessories and some "big" jewelry. I don't wear shorts any more (veins). After I have every outfit planned, I'll throw in a pair of white slacks and a white tunic shirt "just in case." Shoes: Merrill's, black pumps, black sandals and I'll wear tennis shoes on the plane over. My clothing will all fit in a suitcase the size of an overhead bin. About half of DH's clothing will fit in the other overhead bin carry-on. I'll put my shoes and toiletries in our one checked suitcase that will also hold the rest of DH's wardrobe. A big Vera Bradley tote bag and we'll be set.

Okay...I'm the one that started this. We leave next week and I've started laying only the ESSENTIALS out and I'm already failing miserably. It doesn't help that I feel the need to take a whole pharmacy for "just in case".

For just 2 of us I have 2 -27" suitcases, a garment bag and a carry on. The carry on is a regular suitcase that is a pain to drag around when we first board. Was hoping for just the 2 suitcases and garment bag. Could go up to our monster size suitcase, 1 - 27" and garment bag. See what I mean????:eek: DH is napping, so I'll see what he has to say.

• 3 weeks later...
I did pretty well this time! I really cut down on the number of bottoms -- only brought three pairs plus the ones I'll wear on the plane. Also cut down the pairs of shoes, and am bringing a reversible skirt. :) The tops, not doing so well. I like to have options on those.

I did make my "options" very lightweight matte jersey, so they don't take up much space.

Another place I cut way back was makeup.

Looks like even with my long evening gown, I will have no problem getting it all in one carry-on and one small gym bag, with room to spare for the snorkeling stuff!

This sounds impossible! Do you have a carryon that expands in multiple directions?

We have the 26" bags and our carryons usually are filled with travel info, books, shoes, and miscellaneous toiletries. My problem is that the bags weigh a lot empty and the airlines are really looking for ways to make extra $$$ for checkon bags.

How do you do it?

This sounds impossible! Do you have a carryon that expands in multiple directions?

We have the 26" bags and our carryons usually are filled with travel info, books, shoes, and miscellaneous toiletries. My problem is that the bags weigh a lot empty and the airlines are really looking for ways to make extra $$$ for checkon bags.

How do you do it?

Follow these "rules"-

Med Kit--

Toiletries get reduced down to travel size containers.

OTC meds taken out of boxes- travel with the blister packs or puny bottles.

Prescrition meds- ask the pharmacist for smaller bottles or extra labels for your meds.

We are lucky not to need hair appliances. The one daughter who does, it takes up room in her suitcase.

Clothes-

Decide what size suitcase you will use and pack only what will fit into it.

Pack from the ground up. Match everything to your shoes. Keep shoes to a minimum. Walkers (sneakers), sandals, dress shoes are all you need.

Pack seperates, NOT OUTFITS! Coordinate pieces, if it can be only worn once, do you need to bring it. Wear your formal dress twice.

For our 3day MIL packed a 26" case for herself. She had brought Pants, Tees and Matching Jackets for each day and night.

She couldn't believe that I packed in a 20". 3 pr shoes, 2 pr jeans, 1 capri, nice pants, 6 tops and 1 jacket that went for everything. (Including what I wore for embarkation) My med kit took up more volume than my clothes. Still had clothes unworn. Could have done a seven day with this.

Don't be afraid to launder your clothes.

Get lightweight luggage. Delsey Helium is a good starting point.

Space bags work wonders. They save space, but not weight.

How many books do you really need?

Archived