I Will Not Over Pack...I Will Not Over Pack

Follow these "rules"

Clothes-

Decide what size suitcase you will use and pack only what will fit into it.

Don't be afraid to launder your clothes.

Get lightweight luggage. Delsey Helium is a good starting point.

Space bags work wonders. They save space, but not weight.

How many books do you really need?

All good suggestions! About the books, we know how wonderfull the HAL library is and that cuts down bringing much. But, the books we bring are for the airplane, waiting, etc.

We invested in new luggage about 6 years ago and they are in good shape so I can't justify buying new ones. You're so right about space bags. I think that's how I go overweight - lets too much stuff in.

The best advice I ever received from the friend who got me hooked on cruising was:

"Pack everything you think you'll need, then unpack half of it, and you'll still have enough!"

And she was right!!!

I find it easier to be careful now because of extra fees. I like to spend my money on fun stuff, not extra luggage :-)

I am a "what - if" packer, I confess. It would be so much easier to just have my closet magically appear in my cabin.

I have resolved to not be that way the next time around. I am also a shoe packer. While bringing 7 pairs may not seem like many to some, they do take up space in the suitcase. I have narrowed it to 4 for the next trip, which isn't even booked yet.

The 'what - if' girl is also a 'plan ahead' girl. If I could figure out a way to take it all in a carry - on I would do it. But I know for me it isn't going to happen, because, "WHAT IF"... I find some fabulous souveniers. I wouldn't want to pay the extra baggage fee. :)

The 'what - if' girl is also a 'plan ahead' girl. If I could figure out a way to take it all in a carry - on I would do it. But I know for me it isn't going to happen, because, "WHAT IF"... I find some fabulous souveniers. I wouldn't want to pay the extra baggage fee. :)

You're right. I'm also a terrible "what if" gal myself. However, I vow to NOT overpack for our Canada/New England cruise in June. I'm planning to purchase a few t-shirts (always do, so why not admit it now) and a sweatshirt. Even if I bring a sweatshirt, I know I'll get another one on the ship or in port. So I'm packing 4 extra t-shirts and one sweatshirt, along with a few other extra souvenir-sized items. I'm weighing the packed suitcase and take things out if I'm over. Then I'll take out the extras, knowing that I'll have room for my purchases on the cruise.

That's my plan, anyway.

Instead of packing books for a plane ride, we buy magazines. A new edition of People, Time, Readers Digest or other that has a lot of reading that will interest both men and women, so we can switch. When we finish reading them we leave them for other pax.

A what-if packing doesn't even have to mean overpacking. If you think you may run into cool weather, pack one sweater, same with if you think you may have one odd warm day, take only one pair of shorts, one short sleeved shirt. You don't need a complete wardrobe for the whole time. Don't forget most ships do have laundry/dry cleaning....laundering a couple pair of pants or dry cleaning a black dress is far cheaper than luggage fees these days.

Checking on www.weather.com the day before you leave will give you a fairly decent weather prediction. You can then make any adjustments you may need to make.

• 2 weeks later...

I love all of these suggestions for packing light! I am a recovering overpacker, and after doing lots of traveling in the past two years, I have gotten my packing routine down to a habit.

Here are the things I do to minimize my luggage burden:

#1- Make a packing list, and stick to it. I look at how many days I am going on the trip, and try to plan "outfits" for each day of the trip.

#2 - I will allow a little wiggle room in case the weather is colder/hotter than I planned for by building my wardrobe in "light layers" (for example, for tops I will bring tank tops that can be worn alone if it's warm, plus a lightweight jacket or cardigan that can be paired with most everything in case it's cooler)

#3- If you have clothing that can be worn in several different ways, you can extend your wardrobe like you wouldn't believe! Several of my items are reversible. I have two reversible skirts, and two reversible tops. Also, someone mentioned the "infinite dress". There are other brands that make something similar, (I have one by American Apparel), which is a dress that can be modified into several styles, or even a skirt or top! Also, I have a pair of pants that can be worn long, or the bottom part of each leg can be removed to make them into shorts. I have a long black skirt with a similar design (by Royal Robbins) that allows you to zip off the bottom panel, so it can be worn as a shorter skirt. Finally, I love love love my Victoria's Secret 100-way bra. I don't know if they still sell this, but if they do, you should check it out! It can be worn like a regular bra, or modified into a strapless, backless, racerback, etc by changing the straps. I can wear it with absolutely any outfit I bring. It rules!

#4- I think this has been mentioned before- I always pick a color theme. Mine frequently winds up being black because it's easy to match, and can go from day to night easily. That way, if I bring three pairs of black shoes (black flip flops, black walking shoes, black strappy heels), I can match almost anything I bring.

#5- As has been previously mentioned, get travel sizes of everything. Furthermore, you really don't need to bring *everything* with you! You can get toothpaste, mouthwash, hairspray, etc just before you get on the boat, or sometimes even on the boat itself. Of course, you might pay a little more for it, but to me it's worth avoiding the hassle of lugging around lots of stuff. I do understand if you are really particular about some type of grooming product, though. If that's the case you just wind up having to make the space for the items you cannot do without.

#6- Do laundry at least once during the trip if greater than four days. This can mean using the laundry facilities or hand washing a few items in your room. Even if you just plan on hand washing a couple items in your sink, you can easily reduce the number of underthings you need to bring. You can find single use packets of detergent, and even Woolite at many drugstores. Body wash or shampoo can be used in a pinch if you don't have detergent.

By following these rules, I always get my stuff into a single carry on sized bag plus a purse. My husband also packs relatively lightly, and can usually get his stuff in a single carry on as well. It takes some planning, but I think it's worth it for the freedom of not checking bags!

Archived