Who do you travel with?

WitchyWoman14

DH and I are trying to plan a cruise.. (the October 24th, Eastern Caribbean on the Glory). We have always went with other people (usaully my parents, which we get along with great and are alot of fun). For one reason or another we may not be able to go together this year, but we have invited another couple to go with us. This will be their first cruise and they are still a little unsure about the whole "being out in the middle of the ocean on a boat" thing. I am trying to assure them how different it is in comparison to what they are thinking. Anyway, they may or may not go. (She just sent me an E Mail saying they may just stick close to home, but that changes regularly). So, who do you travel with? DH and I have never been on vacation by ourselves. Even our honeymoon (we got married in Hawaii, so my parents and his parents were there with us)....

We travel with our kids (20 and 13), and our daughters boyfriend will be coming along in August. I personally would never try and talk someone into a cruise, the thought of them stewing in their cabin and planning on how to throw me overboard just isn't worth it.

Hey K-Town, I'm originally from Maryville or as we said there Muryville!!!

We have traveled with other couples & by ourselves before. I used to try to get a group of friends but it got to be too much of a hassle hearing when & not people could go. I started booking then letting people know we are going such n such date here is where I booked if you want to go we'd love you to join us. I almost prefer going as a couple then meeting others on our roll call board. That's worked out really great for us on our last 3 cruises. I've actually met better friends then some I've had for a long time!!! LOL

Looks like you're sailing the week before us.

If you go just as a couple you'll have lots of fun. Just get active on your roll call board & you'll still meet people to do things with.

Dh and I usually sail alone. Don't have much family, just a married daughter, who does not care for cruising. I don't know what I did wrong raising her:).

We have a ball meeting new people and socializing. We love to cruise so much, nothing could stop us. Go and enjoy and if your friends join you later, great too!

On the rare occasion, when friends have joined us, it can be almost suffoccating. I get so worried that they are not having a good time so I try to plan the days around them. It can get very stressful. Now going alone, you do what you want, when you want. Love it!!

I agree with what the opther posters have said. Cruising just the two of you would be a new experience, but one that I am sure you will repeat again and again.

I have cruised with my husband only, with my family (sons, wives, and grandkids), cruised with my parents, cruised with just my sister, cruised with best friends, and twice and never to be repeated - cruised with casual friends. (more later)

Sometimes it is nice to be able to have a week on a ship with family...to be able to spend time together without the daily interruptions of life. It is equally nice to be able to spend a week with just my darling - without work and other things crowding our day.

Do not - I repeat, do not - try and convince your friends to join you. Either they do, or they don't...but if they do, at least try to set some ground rules. Cruising together does not mean you are all attached at the hip 24/7. Spending an excursion or two together is fine, spending time at the pool is fine - but when I cruised with the more casual friends - it seemed that every time I turned around they were there! Wanting to plan every minute of the day, wanting to know what we were doing next, wanting to eat....blah-blah-blah! After a week, I was ready to throw them overboard. The worst was when they had a big fight midway through the cruise...oh my gosh that was miserable.

We laugh about it now, but it wasn't funny when it was happening. Bottom line - don't talk anyone into cruising just to have someone to cruise with. Do as Gracie suggested and just book your cruise. Let your friends lnow the details, and if they join you great...but if not, believe me...you will still have a fantastic time!

Our first cruise was our honeymoon and it was just the two of us, the second we went with another couple, and our third coming up is just us again - we prefer just the two of us - don't have to worry about pleasing everyone with the choices of what to do and when.

Hey K-Town, I'm originally from Maryville or as we said there Muryville!!!

We have traveled with other couples & by ourselves before. I used to try to get a group of friends but it got to be too much of a hassle hearing when & not people could go. I started booking then letting people know we are going such n such date here is where I booked if you want to go we'd love you to join us. I almost prefer going as a couple then meeting others on our roll call board. That's worked out really great for us on our last 3 cruises. I've actually met better friends then some I've had for a long time!!! LOL

Looks like you're sailing the week before us.

If you go just as a couple you'll have lots of fun. Just get active on your roll call board & you'll still meet people to do things with.

Hey there, Murr-vull.. :) I actually live in Lenoir City, (I do work in Knoxville though), but I didn't think anyone would know where that is.. :D I love North Myrtle Beach. I think you moved to a nice area! We were just there in October of last year. Let me say, Benajamin's Calabash has the best food! I think we need one of those here.. I guess the seafood would not be quite as fresh... LOL! We are actually thinking about doing the September 26th sailing if we know for sure the other couple is not going with us. Who knows which one we will do.. As long as I get to go, I'm good... LOL!

Hey there, Murr-vull.. :) I actually live in Lenoir City, (I do work in Knoxville though), but I didn't think anyone would know where that is.. :D I love North Myrtle Beach. I think you moved to a nice area! We were just there in October of last year. Let me say, Benajamin's Calabash has the best food! I think we need one of those here.. I guess the seafood would not be quite as fresh... LOL! We are actually thinking about doing the September 26th sailing if we know for sure the other couple is not going with us. Who knows which one we will do.. As long as I get to go, I'm good... LOL!

Just a quick note to those of you from TN ( forgive me OP!)....my nephew and family lives in Philadelphia. If you are from Lenoir City, then you know where Philadelphia is!

Our first cruise was our honeymoon and it was just the two of us, the second we went with another couple, and our third coming up is just us again - we prefer just the two of us - don't have to worry about pleasing everyone with the choices of what to do and when.

Same here, our first cruise was our honeymoon...all three Carnival cruises and the one coming up are just the two of us...we prefer it that way because it is just us we are concerned with..;)

I've cruised solo, with my Mom (Fun! she's 71 yo and is addicted to cruising!), and with my Dad and brother (we shared a cabin - it was a blast!) :D

All have pluses and minuses ... the worst is cruising with those who want to be attached at the hip 24/7 (which is why I frequently cruise solo .... ).

We went with my DH family on our first cruise. It was awful, they hated it, couldn't find anything positive and complained the whole time. We loved it, so we decided to bring another couple the next time. They were iffy about going and I was so worried the whole time. Trying to plan everything that they wanted to do. If something didn't go right I felt like it was my fault. lol. So needless to day this upcoming cruise it's just by DH and I :D

I'm sure whoever you go with it will be a blast!

I agree with what the opther posters have said. Cruising just the two of you would be a new experience, but one that I am sure you will repeat again and again.

I have cruised with my husband only, with my family (sons, wives, and grandkids), cruised with my parents, cruised with just my sister, cruised with best friends, and twice and never to be repeated - cruised with casual friends. (more later)

Sometimes it is nice to be able to have a week on a ship with family...to be able to spend time together without the daily interruptions of life. It is equally nice to be able to spend a week with just my darling - without work and other things crowding our day.

Do not - I repeat, do not - try and convince your friends to join you. Either they do, or they don't...but if they do, at least try to set some ground rules. Cruising together does not mean you are all attached at the hip 24/7. Spending an excursion or two together is fine, spending time at the pool is fine - but when I cruised with the more casual friends - it seemed that every time I turned around they were there! Wanting to plan every minute of the day, wanting to know what we were doing next, wanting to eat....blah-blah-blah! After a week, I was ready to throw them overboard. The worst was when they had a big fight midway through the cruise...oh my gosh that was miserable.

We laugh about it now, but it wasn't funny when it was happening. Bottom line - don't talk anyone into cruising just to have someone to cruise with. Do as Gracie suggested and just book your cruise. Let your friends lnow the details, and if they join you great...but if not, believe me...you will still have a fantastic time!

Boy, there's some good advice right there.

my first couple of cruises i traveled with my immediate family & my best friend's family, all others have been with a bigger family group, there will be 22 on our family reunion cruise coming up in april (my boyfriend's first cruise), but i'm thinking about taking the next one with just me and the BF...we'll see how that goes :)

We went with my DH family on our first cruise. It was awful, they hated it, couldn't find anything positive and complained the whole time. We loved it, so we decided to bring another couple the next time. They were iffy about going and I was so worried the whole time. Trying to plan everything that they wanted to do. If something didn't go right I felt like it was my fault. lol. So needless to day this upcoming cruise it's just by DH and I :D

I'm sure whoever you go with it will be a blast!

That's what I worry about... If they do go, I don't want them to have a bad time. I know some people just do not like cruising (obviously, I can't imagine that.. :p). I think they would have a blast. They honeymooned in Hawaii and talk about it all the time... The gorgeous ocean, the tiki torches, beach music and so on, so I think they would love it... but they are just not sure about the "being out on the ocean" thing. He watched Titanic again the other day and told her that he never wanted to go on a cruise after watching that... I guess we will see.... I just want DH to be occupied too. He likes to play basketball, lift weights and so on. If his friend goes, that would help occupy him...:rolleyes: I know we will be fine either way though.. Maybe it would be good for us to go on a vacation by ourselves before we start trying to have a little one...:p

I love cruising with a group. We had a large group on our last cruise that ranged from 3 yo to 65 yo. It was a mixture of my family, my husbands family and friends. Everyone had such a good time that we're doing it again next summer - even adding a few more people to the group.

First 2 cruises we went with my parents , last 2 we went just wife and I , the next 2 will also be with my parents .

I figure at this rate we will hit Platinum as my parents are just hitting number 6 .

Oh my mom will be pI$$ed . :)

On three of our cruises we were alone, but on this last one we went with friends that we met on our cruise to Hawaii. We did not do everything together on the ship, we ate at different tables, we went on different excursions; except for I believe four of them. We had a fabulous time. We were together when we stayed in London and Rome, and were thankful that we had such good friends to be with. We went to the Supper Club together to celebrate our anniversaries and sat with them at a few of the shows. When you are on vacation for over 2 1/2 weeks with friends, you need some time to be apart.

I just do not think you need to spend 24/7 with your friends to have a good time. But with first time cruisers, they may think different.

My first cruise was with a group from my high school's music association, so imagine a slew of teenagers with a few (probably too few!) chaperones. Eek.

Since then, all my cruises have been with my best friend from college. We've discussed getting others to go, but it hasn't worked out so far (no follow through). I'm looking at a solo cruise and possibly others with friends (one of whom I met on a previous cruise).

I wouldn't want to push anyone into a vacation. A gentle nudge, perhaps, but if someone really isn't interested, I would let them be. You'll have plenty of fun if you just cruise the two of you. You'll make friends onboard!

1st cruise was with wife and son. 3rd cruise was wife and son, our 2 best friends and their 2 kids. Our 2nd cruise (and won't ever do again) was with wife, son, my mom, my in-laws, aunt and uncle in-law, my dad and his wife and her 2 kids.... ughh. mom stayed in the cabin with us. I will never, ever, ever say the words, "Hey we're going on another cruise. Anyone want to go with us?" lol Our next cruise is just me and the wife. It is going to be so great.

DH and I are trying to plan a cruise.. (the October 24th, Eastern Caribbean on the Glory). We have always went with other people (usaully my parents, which we get along with great and are alot of fun). For one reason or another we may not be able to go together this year, but we have invited another couple to go with us. This will be their first cruise and they are still a little unsure about the whole "being out in the middle of the ocean on a boat" thing. I am trying to assure them how different it is in comparison to what they are thinking. Anyway, they may or may not go. (She just sent me an E Mail saying they may just stick close to home, but that changes regularly). So, who do you travel with? DH and I have never been on vacation by ourselves. Even our honeymoon (we got married in Hawaii, so my parents and his parents were there with us)....

Most of the time its my wife and kids and my parents a few of my sisters and there kids. My wife and I try to go with just the two us once a year.

We went on our very frist cruise alone. It was a "rekindle the romance" trip and it was just wonderful.

We took our then-11.5 and 14 year old sons on our second cruise.

We sailed #'s 3, 4, and 5 with very close friends-we were a group of 8 adults and 6 offspring.

Our next cruise is just for DH and me and we are celebrating our 25th anniversary alone.

All the cruises were wonderful. It is just as much fun sailing alone as it is with friends.

Archived