Drinks in non souviner glass prices

beachbunni77

HI ALL, I will be traveling on the NCL Gem in 1 1/2 weeks, and had a bar question. I know when you go to the bar to get a cocktail you get it in a "souviner glass" and I believe the price is about $7-9 per drink. However i did read somewhere if you ask for it in a "NON-souviner" glass you get the drink cheaper. Does anyone know what the price is for these? Thanks, Amanda

It may not be so easy to get the drink in a non-souvenier glass though. I tried and tried at Henry's Pub to order a specialty drink NOT in the souvenier glass and I finally gave up because the waitress held firm that she could only serve the drink in that glass, but after I purchased the drink in that glass, I could get the $2 savings if I continued to order the same drink in the same glass.

I gave up as I was becoming a tad beligerant with the waitress and realized it was becoming a pissing contest between the two of us and it wasn't worth it. So I skipped the specialty drink and did a shot of tequila instead.:D And I didn't bother trying to order another frou frou drink on the ship again.

The "regular" glasses are much smaller, so I'm not sure they are a better value.

Clearly the best value seems to be buying one drink in the fancy glass, and then re-using it.

Some of the bartenders would actually replace it with a clean one (no charge), while others seemed to be content to re-use.

And the best value of all, of course, is to save it for your next cruise as well!

yeah...just re-use or exchange the glass. it's really stupid. there was a time when the souvenir glasses were actually GLASS. they were nice hurricane glasses. i still have several at home. now those were worth buying. asking for a non-souvenir glass just gets you a 12oz Solo cup...not worth it.

i can't stand these fluorescent colored, plastic hurricane glasses. sure they are cheaper and safer when they break.

i usually try to ask for the ivory colored souvenir glass (with blue logo) if i MUST have one.

The drinks in the non-souvenir glasses are between $1-$2 cheaper, but they are smaller. I agree, the souvenir glass and re-using it is the best way to go. The only place we had trouble ordering a drink NOT in a souvenir glass was in Maltings Bar (Jewel), never had a problem on the pool deck.

When I ordered the Dark and Stormy drink of the day, it was served in a frosted glass collins that has 'shooting stars' decorating it along with NCL Star. The appletini drink of the day was served in a martini glass that is decorated similiarly. IMO, both are very nice.

The Jewel also had their own version. It has a 'pearl necklace' instead of the stars and says NCL Jewel.

When I ordered the Dark and Stormy drink of the day, it was served in a frosted glass collins that has 'shooting stars' decorating it along with NCL Star. The appletini drink of the day was served in a martini glass that is decorated similiarly. IMO, both are very nice.

The Jewel also had their own version. It has a 'pearl necklace' instead of the stars and says NCL Jewel.

oh now that's nice! i'd buy those for sure! getting them home safe is another matter.

oh now that's nice! i'd buy those for sure! getting them home safe is another matter.

Yeah, the 4 collins glasses made it just fine (stuffed with socks and rolled in tshirts). One of the martini glasses, well, that's a different matter :(.

Ok, now you are getting me thirsty - what is in a Dark & Stormy drink?

We got the souvenir drink on the Gem - then asked to have it refilled with a vodka and tonic, simply because we liked the glass. The charge was $9.00 - when I asked why - the bartender told me that they put 1.5 ounces of alcohol in that glass - so we paid $4.00 for a half ounce of alcohol. I did talk to the bar manager about it - Luis was very kind ... but, we just decided to drink out of regular glasses to avoid a problem.

It was supposed to be $2.00 less if you got the souvenir glass refilled with the same specialty drink.

Archived