Dining room

jbroons

Somebody else already posted it, but it drives me up the wall when I see people put in an apostrophe to make something plural...grrr..."How many dinning room's are there on x ship?" (the "dinning" was put in intentionally).

Another one is supposably instead of supposedly.

Oh, that one drives me crazy too.

It is inherently impossible for me to not notice spelling and grammatical errors. It's how my mind works. That said, I know better than to correct anyone on forums. Also, the OP needs to take their own advice. The "kid" in me had to say it.

I know that CC doesn't condone this kid of stuff...However, I just want to respectfully bring to everyone's attention that food is served on Carnival vessels in the "dining room" & not the "dinning room". I am simply trying to help because of the incredible # of posters that misspell that word....enough said.;)
Speaking of misspelling, did you mean "this kind of stuff"?

I have to admit it, no matter how many times I preview my post, I always seem to miss some error. Ooooh, that bugs me.

Also, I think this thread makes a great case for school vouchers.

Public school teachers...don't hate me...:o

I know that CC doesn't condone this kid of stuff...However, I just want to respectfully bring to everyone's attention that food is served on Carnival vessels in the "dining room" & not the "dinning room". I am simply trying to help because of the incredible # of posters that misspell that word....enough said.;)

Well, a din is defined as a loud, continuous noise; confused clamor or uproar, so maybe the dinning room is appropriate, at least in Carnival's case.;) :D

Crusin6..."kid" instead of "kind" was intentional if you read prior posts. Additionally, the misspelling of that word (dinning) is not an error or a "type-o"....everyone that sees it constantly on CC is/are itching to say something...it's true & humorous at the same time...an interesting human phenomenon if you will.

Gonna stick with that story, are ya? :p :D

J/K, I think it is ok to poke at grammar in general, as long as it is not personal. Either way, the thread will likely get poofed or dumped in floataway land eventually.

I have to admit it, no matter how many times I preview my post, I always seem to miss some error. Ooooh, that bugs me.

Also, I think this thread makes a great case for school vouchers.

Public school teachers...don't hate me...:o

No it makes a case for people to be more understanding of the people that work between 50-70 hours a week and still make time to post their experiences on this site. We are not writing a published paper. It is a bulletin board for advice.

No it makes a case for people to be more understanding of the people that work between 50-70 hours a week and still make time to post their experiences on this site. We are not writing a published paper. It is a bulletin board for advice.

My comment had nothing to do with hard working posters. I am one myself. What people write does show how lacking the general public, myself included, can be in regard to grammer and spelling. IMHO, we all have not learned enough during the thousands of hours we spent in public school. It was not a "slam" on people making a post. Just an observation. :)

You spelled "kind" wrong...or was that on purpose???:rolleyes:

That's a typo......

Misspelling a word is a mistake and usually means the person actually doesn't know how to spell the word....

There's a difference.

It can also be "could've". That sounds like could of. Maybe thats where the misspelling originated.:)

Well, then it must be an English problem..... "Could've" is a contraction of "could have"......maybe that's what's not known.

How about the use of prolly? I do believe some people don't know the word should be probably. Drives me crazy, lol.

LOL! I saw 'prolly' the other day and just about died laughing. I wanted to correct it but figured I'd get slammed for it.

How about the use of irregardless instead of regardless? Drives me nuts.

"Usage note: Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s."

Somebody else already posted it, but it drives me up the wall when I see people put in an apostrophe to make something plural...grrr..."How many dinning room's are there on x ship?" (the "dinning" was put in intentionally).

Another one is supposably instead of supposedly. I know this thread won't last, but it feels good to type this :)

I suppobely like wat ypou sad jus ther...an I reely depreciate it!:D

A few that drive me to distraction:

"Me and my boyfriend had went..................."

Or worse yet; "I and my boyfriend..........."

"I seen him do it............................."

I also hate the phrase "the wife"....as in "The wife and I cruised".....

The wife as in the dog, the house, the car.......

Here's and interesting link to a list of the 100 words that are often misspelled.....

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html

It is inherently impossible for me to not notice spelling and grammatical errors. It's how my mind works. That said, I know better than to correct anyone on forums. Also, the OP needs to take their own advice. The "kid" in me had to say it.

On purpose BND.....you now desreve a mudsiled....hehe;)

Speaking of misspelling, did you mean "this kind of stuff"?

Another Mudslide please for VegasMan!!:D

C'mon people can you hear it!!

Keep it comming....(is that grammatically correct...so much pressure).

That's a typo......

Misspelling a word is a mistake and usually means the person actually doesn't know how to spell the word....

There's a difference.

Thank you G'ma...that was an intentional type-o....now you get a mudslide as well!!:p

LOL! I saw 'prolly' the other day and just about died laughing. I wanted to correct it but figured I'd get slammed for it.

How about the use of irregardless instead of regardless? Drives me nuts.

"Usage note: Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s."

Prolly has been net short hand slang for at least six years now. :cool:

Archived