Hubbard Glacier vs. Glacier Bay

alki_feek

My husband and I are planning a 7 day cruise from Seattle to Alaska. The cruises are basically the same except one goes to Hubbard Glacier and the other to Glacier Bay. Is one better than the other?

Thanks for your help.

You won't go wrong with either one. Enjoyed them both immensely. Pick one this time and then when you go back choose an itinerary with the other one in it the next time you go to Alaska.

Also, perhaps the next time you can fly to Anchorage, do see inland sightseeing and then cruise southbound. There is so much to see doing some inland touring also.

I've done both - did Hubbard first and it was spectacular - especially the sound it makes when calving, but having gone to Glacier Bay the next year, I'd say it was at least 3 times better! There's just so much to see at Glacier Bay - hours of beautiful scenery.

I'd been to Glacier Bay a few times so I was disappointed that we were doing Hubbard when I took my "kids" to AK but Hubbard was beautiful and active. I was amazed how lovely it was; I didn't feel badly that they'd missed G.B.:D

It's the noise of the calving plus if there are two ships in the area the most amazing thing is when the other one goes in close to the glacier and your ship is farther out...........you really get an idea of the size of the glacier. The other ship looks tiny next to the glacier.

Early in the season, I'd choose Glacier Bay, certainly. Hubbard was iced out for us in May 07. Also, Glacier Bay has the distinction of being a National Park. Otherwise, I'd be happy seeing either again, and would likely base my choice on port schedules.

With an early in the season time frame, I tend to agree to go with Glacier Bay. We've yet to see it, but been to Hubbard twice. Once in Sept. of 2006 and it was AMAZING!! We got really close to the glacier, it was calving non-stop and it was just mesmerizing. Then we went to Hubbard again first week of June 2008, and well....not so much... Didn't get very close, couldn't see much calving, even with binocs trained on that massive hunk of ice. Just not as spectacular as in Sept. We DID, however enjoy the sail in and out - so peaceful and beautiful! But our next Bucket List destination in Alaska in 2010 is Glacier Bay for sure!

Early in the season, ...

Chat, this has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but I just have to say this...

I LOVE YOUR SCREEN NAME AND AVATAR!!!!!! I just went to Paris for the first time last November, completely fell in love with it, and had a great time at Le Chat Noir Café. How clever of you to pick something so classy to respresent yourself! :)

Archived