NCL Spirit - Time Change on Ship

chajec

Hello,

We are sailing on the NCL Spirit from New Orleans - to Costa Maya, Guatamala, Belize, and Cozumel. Does anyone know if we will change our clocks at all on the ship? We will leave in CST. I've confirmed that Belize and the other ports we stop at are in CST but do not observe daylight savings time, which means when we get to those ports, they are 1 hour behind CST.

Please advise.

10 Days till we sail.

If there is a time change, the ship will inform you to turn your clocks the night before, along with the Freestyle Daily. They will change theirs. The ship likes to stick with local time. Otherwise its too confusing. Rest assure.

I was on one cruise where the ship did not change to local time.

It was a three night Carnival cruise from New York to St. John, New Brunswick. We were advised to keep in mind while out that there would be a one hour difference between the times we saw displayed on any local clocks and the time the ship's schedule, including departure, was based on.

Does the east coast to Bermuda run ships adjust for one hour difference between US and Bermuda and therefore on local time also in Bermuda?

Last four times I have cruised to Bermuda we were told to change our timepieces to Bermuda time. It is probably because we were docked there for so long.

I was on one cruise where the ship did not change to local time.

It was a three night Carnival cruise from New York to St. John, New Brunswick. We were advised to keep in mind while out that there would be a one hour difference between the times we saw displayed on any local clocks and the time the ship's schedule, including departure, was based on.

I didn't say anything about Carnival, what does Carnival have anything to do with a NCL thread? NCL changes the ships clock to match local time.

I didn't say anything about Carnival, what does Carnival have anything to do with a NCL thread? NCL changes the ships clock to match local time.

Unless you've reviewed the time zone changes on every ship and itinerary NCL has ever sailed, and know with certainty that in the future on every itinerary NCL will sail the ship will change to local time, your blanket statement may not be true.

By pointing out an example of a cruise ship and itinerary where the change to local time was not done, I'm leaving open the possibility that some NCL ship at some time conceivably has not or will not change to local time, so that readers of this thread can be fully informed. :D

What happens on any OTHER ship or any OTHER cruiseline or any OTHER itinerary has little bearing on what happens with the original question.

AND - even on the same one, they could have a change in policy from one week to another. bottom line, they will tell you on the ship.

And, the only reason I can think that anyone would care in advance is those booking private tours. Don;t worry, the local vendors KNOW more about the ship coming and going than it appears even NCL sometimes knows.

They will adjust.

What happens on any OTHER ship or any OTHER cruiseline or any OTHER itinerary has little bearing on what happens with the original question.

AND - even on the same one, they could have a change in policy from one week to another. bottom line, they will tell you on the ship.

And, the only reason I can think that anyone would care in advance is those booking private tours. Don;t worry, the local vendors KNOW more about the ship coming and going than it appears even NCL sometimes knows.

They will adjust.

Let's look carefully at the poster's answer. First sentence:

"If there is a time change, the ship will inform you to turn your clocks the night before, along with the Freestyle Daily. "

That is absolutely true and factual. No one can argue with it.

Now let's look at the remainder:

"They will change theirs. The ship likes to stick with local time. Otherwise its too confusing. Rest assure."

Assumptions...maybe true, maybe not, but presented as if it is dead cold fact, which it definitely isn't.

That's the last word from me on this subject.

They will adjust.

OK...I'm going to break my promise to not say anything further. ;)

When I responded to your post I should have quoted just the following sentence, not your entire post:

"What happens on any OTHER ship or any OTHER cruiseline or any OTHER itinerary has little bearing on what happens with the original question."

My point is that when someone makes a blanket statement based on assumptions, it may not be true. The reason I brought up the Carnival cruise was to point out an instance of a ship not changing to local time. If one cruise line has done, so might others...including NCL.

It stands to reason if the ship asks you to change your clocks to match the local time the next day, the ship will change their clocks as well. Period.

And yes, they like to stay with local time, otherwise its too confusing for most of the passengers. Shore excursions have a lot to do with it, but its also important for those who go ashore to return on time, not an hour later after the ship left.

do cell phones adjust to local time?

Most phones have an option in the setup that will change either automatically, with a notice, or manually.

Of course, the automatic part is not 100%, but manual is.

We did NCL Spirit to Canada, and the "ship's time" did not change from Eastern Daylight. I got into an interesting discussion with my wife onshore one day when the local clocks said it was noon and our watches said it was 11:00. I figured that if was noon there, I could go find a beer. She had the silly idea that 11:00 was too early to start drinking. Guess who won?

Be very careful about depending on cell phones to know what time it is. If they find a local tower they'll adjust to local time, and while at sea they have no idea where they are, so they'll say almost anything. I think my wife's Verizon decided we were in Hawaii, and my Nextel couldn't get past "no service".

I talked to my friend who is a crew member onboard the Spirit 2 week-ends ago. He said that yes time was changing in New Orleans(daylight savings time), but then after they got underway he would have to go back to not daylight savings time, until they get back to New Orleans. And then at some point in April one of the countries (can't remember which one) does change to daylight savings time. It just sounds confusing to me! So my advise is to rely on the Freestyle dailes on what time it is. Oh yes, whenever I have cruised and tried to keep my verizon wireless phone on - it does not have service or it is constantly searching for service and the batteries die quickly.

Hi chajec

I will be on the same cruise as you! I just plan on going with the flow...whatever they do will work for me. Not going to lose any time over it...LOL

I'm sure we'll meet....I'm in a Balcony on Deck 10! Haven't been on a cruise since HS.

One week to cruisin the sunny Carribean!!! 5 days to N'awlins!

See ya then!

We did NCL Spirit to Canada, and the "ship's time" did not change from Eastern Daylight. I got into an interesting discussion with my wife onshore one day when the local clocks said it was noon and our watches said it was 11:00. I figured that if was noon there, I could go find a beer. She had the silly idea that 11:00 was too early to start drinking. Guess who won?

Be very careful about depending on cell phones to know what time it is. If they find a local tower they'll adjust to local time, and while at sea they have no idea where they are, so they'll say almost anything. I think my wife's Verizon decided we were in Hawaii, and my Nextel couldn't get past "no service".

Well, "Don Haynes", there you go...an example of an NCL cruise that didn't change to local time just like the Carnival cruise I mentioned. :D

I just got off the Spirit on this same cruise on Sunday. The first night they put a card in with our Freestyle Daily letter telling us to set our clocks back one hour. Then on Friday night they sent another card telling us to set our clocks forward an hour so yes there will be a time change but they are very good about informing you about it.

Archived