Royal Caribbean vs. Princess??

PA8880

We are a family of 6 with kids ranging from 8-17. We've only sailed on Carnival and RCCL and have loved both of these lines. This summer we'll be sailing on the Carribbean Princess, our first Princess cruise. Are there as many activities during the day on Princess as there is on RCCL and Carnival? Our family likes a lot of those silly cruise games like trivia and "Name that Band", etc. Will Princess have these during the day?

[quote name='minnow12']We are a family of 6 with kids ranging from 8-17. We've only sailed on Carnival and RCCL and have loved both of these lines. This summer we'll be sailing on the Carribbean Princess, our first Princess cruise. Are there as many activities during the day on Princess as there is on RCCL and Carnival? Our family likes a lot of those silly cruise games like trivia and "Name that Band", etc. Will Princess have these during the day?[/quote]

They had lots of different trivia. They were lacking in 'silly' pool activities, which I always find amusing. It's a reminder that adults shouldn't take things too seriously. Also a chance to have you kids say, I am glad that's not my mom:D On one vacation it was me wining that dance contest. There wasn't much music by the pool either.

[quote name='NJRonbo']For me, the reason I stick with Princess over RCI is the pool.

I hate salt water. RCI pools are salt water. Princess is not.

(Unless any of that has changed in the past 3 years)[/quote]
The Freedom class ships (and probably the Oasis too) have freshwater pools. The saltwater pools aren't bad if you're used to snorkeling or scuba diving; in fact, they're good for getting that first face-full of salt water in preparation for either of those activities. They are also better for people with eczema. However, I admit, most people would strongly favor freshwater pools on those ships that offer them.

[quote name='minnow12']We are a family of 6 with kids ranging from 8-17. We've only sailed on Carnival and RCCL and have loved both of these lines. This summer we'll be sailing on the Carribbean Princess, our first Princess cruise. Are there as many activities during the day on Princess as there is on RCCL and Carnival? Our family likes a lot of those silly cruise games like trivia and "Name that Band", etc. Will Princess have these during the day?[/quote]
Princess has more trivia than RC. However, RC has more specifically designated "family activities"...family disco, family line dancing, family scavenger hunt, etc. I think that which cruise line offers more of interest to you would depend on the itinerary, the cruise director, and what your interests are.

IMNiles-I like your style and concur with your thoughts. Thanks for posting them.

Regarding smoking...this is so "port of departure" and "length of cruise" dependent that it's hard for me to compare. But even saying that, we were on the Golden on the Mexican Riviera route last year, and the Mariner this year (same route) and there were many more issues with smokers not following the rules on the Golden than on the Mariner. However, we had no issues at all on the Emerald out of FLL this year.

Archived